turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey vest and or alternatives

Started by robertsj2221, March 04, 2023, 07:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertsj2221

I'm in need of a new vest or something. The one I currently have is just too much. It's hot, more pockets than 2 guys need and no good place to carry water. So what's a good vest that's light but comfortable to sit in. I liked the look of the run and gun 300 but they are out of stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bringintheh2o

A lot of people like Glenda Green satchels. She has 2 different sizes. I have both but use a vest most of the time.

WV Flopper

Don't mean to be a drag, but....it been discussed so many times in the last month it ain't funny.

Just scroll down and read

Brillo

I can't help with your vest situation but it does sound like you need to shed some stuff alright.  Welcome to OG.  I am currently exploring the idea of using a waist pack.

Jmillwood21

I ditched a vest last year and was using a Fanny pack and a Bino harness. I posted a few pics last year. Pretty good little setup.

Jmillwood21

richard black

Cabelas Speed Seat. Light, functional, not hot, and a great seat pad.

GuideGun

Glenda Green standard sized satchel for me. I like carrying an array of different calls with me. Still lighter than a vest.
Matt

quackaddict

I just picked up one of Mrs. Glenda's murses as well last year, and I like it. Get one of her tire seats too...those things are comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

springtime_overland

I went from a vest to a Minimalist Satchel a couple years back.. Easy to ditch, and It will teach you that 90% of what you put in a vest is unnecessary..

Notsoyoungturk

I am also a member of the Glenda Green minimalist satchel legion and doubt I will ever return to a vest.  I use a turkey chair most of the time so a seat was not a priority.  I have attached a mouth call holder and scotch bright pad to the strap for easy access.   When we pull up, put it over my shoulder and I am off.  I leave the flap open and put my calls on it so that I get to them quickly but not forget and leave them

Prior to the satchel, I used an Alps Longspur vest.  It was a minimalist vest that was very open to keep you from getting hot but still had the seat.  It was my favorite of the vests.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

GobbleNut

Adapt what you need to carry, and what you carry it in, to the circumstances under which you hunt and the way you hunt.  Somewhere along the line, folks got it in their mind that if you turkey hunt, you have to have this piece of equipment known as a turkey vest.  While it is true that there are conditions and types of hunting that make a vest a practical tool, there are some where a vest is just an annoyance. 

Take a good look at where and how you will be hunting,...and make the decision on whether you should go with a vest or some other piece of gear instead.  Contrary to the popular belief that vest manufacturers have tried to instill to the turkey hunters of the world, you don't have to wear a vest that will carry the kitchen sink to be a "real" turkey hunter.    ;D

Zobo

Quote from: Jmillwood21 on March 05, 2023, 07:04:53 AM
I ditched a vest last year and was using a Fanny pack and a Bino harness. I posted a few pics last year. Pretty good little setup.

Nice little setup!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Greg Massey

Glenda Green Satchel, she is out of inventory on the satchels and she posted last week, if you want one do it ASAP, because she is having some back problems and not able to work all day making satchels ...

Tom007

When I do not wear a vest, I have a few other alternatives, all depending on hunting and weather conditions. One is a Cabelas Speed seat that I modified and added suspenders, and a pot call holder. Great warm weather set up. Also pictured is a chest pack that is light, holds just enough on a rainy day hunt under my rain gear. It is made just for Turkey hunting. Third very minimalist set-up is the belt pack. 2 pouches, the smaller holds license, separated mouth call pocket, and shell loops. The larger pouch fits box, push-pins, etc. This set-up is for real hot days, or when I am on the move. I switch it up through the season.......
"Solo hunter"