OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cleaning slate pot

Started by bowbird87, March 03, 2023, 08:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

Quote from: silvestris on March 04, 2023, 06:05:12 PM
First, keep it simple.  Alcohol wipes.  Then 350-400 grit sandpaper with the "grain" however you hold your caller.  You want to call across the direction that you sanded, not with the direction. A late friend used to use his pocketknife to create small grooves for the striker to jump across when clucking and to get vibration when yelping.  I would attempt the pocketknife method on a caller you really don't care about messing up.  And if you mess up, you can then sand the surface down to smooth the surface, with the risk of making the thickness too thin which could change the tone to a degree, might improve the sound.  Me, I would just use the alcohol wipes and be happy.

I have been away from my computer since mid afternoon. While I was out, I got to thinking about using maybe a 300-400 sandpaper behind the alcohol wipe. Silvertris beat me posting this, but I think this is the answer and that what the alcohol does not get off the top surface, the sandpaper should get anything that has soaked just minutely beneath the very top of the surface. The worst that can happen is you have a ever minutely slightly thinner top surface once you get done.

While the lighter is the absolute best solution for sweat and moisture, the more I thought about it, I think that the alcohol - and if that does not resolve the problem completely on its own, - then as Silvertris said, sand the rest out. As he said, make sure to sand in the opposite direction of the way you run the call. Who knows, you may get it all off with the alcohol wipes and need only to scotchbrite it and head to the woods as wchadw mentioned. I want to know how it sounds when you get done. Who knows, it may have a better sound after all of this than it did before. Maybe not, but just trying to be optimistic.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13