OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Preferred (Non TSS) 20 Gauge Ammo

Started by Dhamilton1, March 01, 2023, 11:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

What's everyone's preferred 20 gauge ammo that's not TSS?

Personally, my 20 likes 3rd degree best. Longbeard and grand slam after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildTigerTrout

1 Hevi-Shot Magnum Blends 5,6,7
2.Winchester Longbeard #6
3.Hevi-Shot Triple Beard 5,6,7 (no longer manufactured)
4.Federal "Premium" 1 5/16oz.#6

These four loads shoot the best in my Benelli 20ga. Nova. The Magnum Blend Hevi-Shot pattern the best overall and is what I currently hunt with.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Dtrkyman

From past experience and what is left available I would say Mag Blends, I have not shot long beards though so they may be on par?

The old hevi 7s shot much better than mag blend for me!  I think i have two of them still, should put one in this year and kill a bird!

Tail Feathers

Watching this thread.  I want to buy some backup loads for my 20.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Mountainburd

Hevi shot mag blends. Would still use them in a heartbeat. I still have 4 or 5 boxes.

Hooksfan

Without a doubt, Hevi #7.
Unfortunately, all that can be found now is the mag blend. Mag blend does not shoot as well for me.

paintbrush

Hevi #7's in my Encore, but I'm nearly out of them. Sure wish they would start to remake them, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen!

PALongspur

My 20 gauge guns haven't done that well with the Longbeards for some reason. The Federal Grand Slam load does really well and I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I had to.

TBoo

Sungrazer

I'm in the process of figuring that out right now.
Unfortunately 20ga. ammo has been hard to find in my area of Illinois, especially 3" 20ga., and I've done a lot of driving and been to quite a few different stores. Of the few I've patterned longbeard #6 has been the best so far. Next week I'll be venturing out in a different direction - but I'm going to let my fingers do the walking before I drive this time.

Dhamilton1

Quote from: TBoo on March 04, 2023, 08:28:32 AM
Longbeard XR #6s for me.
Can't find #6s anywhere around me in WV ... shot #5s only

Dhamilton1

Quote from: PALongspur on March 04, 2023, 06:55:03 AM
My 20 gauge guns haven't done that well with the Longbeards for some reason. The Federal Grand Slam load does really well and I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I had to.
Mine patterned good one season and not as good the next ... same choke and setup both years ... not sure what the problem was ... maybe user error? Lol

Have a few left so I'll try again this year just to see

bowT3ch5

Bringintheh2o

Longbeard #6's out of my Mossberg 500

Mossyguy

Longbeard XR #5's...shoot great in my 870