turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aim at the head??

Started by Longshanks, June 23, 2011, 03:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWidowMaker

I do the same. Aim where the feathers meet the neck close my eyes and pull the trigger :-)

BHhunter

Quote from: Longshanks on June 23, 2011, 04:24:21 PM
Ive eaten wild turkey all over US and some prepared by chefs..I've never tasted a wild turkey that if a butter ball were cooked the same way it wouldn't taste better. Try this..bake a whole wild turkey in the oven and a butterball the same way. First try the legs as an appetizer and tell me how that goes..Serve both turkeys to your family and see which one they like. It takes a tremendous amount of seasoning, injection or deep-fry to make a wild turkey taste good.  Wild turkey is dryer, tougher, and has a wild game taste.
I make mine into jerky most of the time, great taste, high protien, low fat snack.

saveallj

I say there is nothing like a good tenderizer.

Trevor2

Quote from: JUGHEAD on June 23, 2011, 04:42:28 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on June 23, 2011, 04:24:21 PM
Ive eaten wild turkey all over US and some prepared by chefs..I've never tasted a wild turkey that if a butter ball were cooked the same way it wouldn't taste better. Try this..bake a whole wild turkey in the oven and a butterball the same way. First try the legs as an appetizer and tell me how that goes..Serve both turkeys to your family and see which one they like. It takes so much seasoning to make a wild turkey taste good it's ridiculous. Wild turkey is dryer, tougher, and has a wild game taste.
I live in Alabama.  We don't bake anything.  Hot grease my friend.  ;D
Yezzir same here in Tn. And I have never ate a butterball or anyother farm grown bird that was juicier than a wild bird.
Strutstopper

WildTigerTrout

I aim at the middle of his neck. Low pellets hit the base of the neck and high ones the head.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

BrowningGuy88

It all depends on where the turkey is. If he is under 15 yards I am shooting a softball pattern so I am where the feathers and neck meet. If he is out past 20, I aim middle of the neck so I can see his head over the bead.

rtsj

I prefer to aim at the waddles. Room for error when aiming there.
:fud:

Roy

WW

Quote from: rtsj on February 17, 2012, 04:34:23 PM

Roy

X2

zeus26

I put the bead where feathers meet skin.

mnbirdbuster

Put an apple on a post!!! The turkeys head is the apple and the post is your front bead :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:

renegade19

Quote from: Daman on February 17, 2012, 03:41:36 PM
It all depends on where the turkey is. If he is under 15 yards I am shooting a softball pattern so I am where the feathers and neck meet. If he is out past 20, I aim middle of the neck so I can see his head over the bead.
[/quote

Same here.  Long shots, I aim middle neck.  Closer, where his head meats his neck. 

cahaba

I'll take a wild turkey over a steroid injected butterball any day. We cut the breast up in strips, dip it in buttermilk, roll with flour and some Tonys creole seasoning. It dont last long at our table.

flatwoodsgobbler

Quote from: rtsj on February 17, 2012, 04:34:23 PM

Roy

x3

Spurcollecta

I aim for the base of the neck but my scope is set to pattern a little high. That way I get the majority of the pellets in the head and neck and a few "in case" pellets still catch the top of the body.

HOOKS1

I shoot at the waddles. I shoot a red dot that's dead middle of my pattern and with heavyweight #7s there's hardly ever any shot in the breast, because they blow right on through.