News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aim at the head??

Started by Longshanks, June 23, 2011, 03:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaTuRkStOmPeR

boys,

we all aim where we do for a multitude of reasons and clearly, based on the number of pictures on here and the sheer number of turkeys we killed in the contest, we ain't too bad at it.

just keep on aimin' in those spots.  keep on makin' em flop  :fud: and keep on havig constructive conversations that provide provoking perspectives.

keep on keepin' on. 

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: Gadget on June 27, 2011, 01:43:08 PM
Quote from: Spuriosity on June 27, 2011, 01:23:29 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on June 27, 2011, 11:34:52 AM
I've killed way over 100 longbeards in my life and have seen at least twice that many die in front of gun.  When people with 40-50 years of turkey hunting wisdom try to share their experience with you might want to at least have an open mind and consider what they are saying..last time..a little common sense.

Most of the turkey guns that folks shoot these days will put the entire pattern in a 10" circle at 20yds. At 15 yards and less that pattern can be 6-8 inches. Being satisfied that half your pattern is all you need..you would only have 3 or so inches as a margin for error..if you don't think you could get off target 3 inches or so on a moving target you are very mistaken..it wouldn't matter if you slept at the gun range and shot every day..
Easy big fellow. Ronnie likes to shoot them in the head and stacks 'em like cordwood every year. And my family really and truly prefers venison to beef. It's going to be o.k., really.

Ronnie needs to respect his elders a little more.... lol

sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

X2, Ronnie  :whip2: 

Longshanks; let it go what does it matter where others aim ? It's not worth arguing.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Longshanks

Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on June 27, 2011, 08:30:32 PM
I've killed way over 100 longbeards in my life and have seen at least twice that many die in front of gun.  When people with 40-50 years of turkey hunting wisdom try to share their experience with you might want to at least have an open mind and consider what they are saying..last time..a little common sense.

Most of the turkey guns that folks shoot these days will put the entire pattern in a 10" circle at 20yds. At 15 yards and less that pattern can be 6-8 inches. Being satisfied that half your pattern is all you need..you would only have 3 or so inches as a margin for error..if you don't think you could get off target 3 inches or so on a moving target you are very mistaken..it wouldn't matter if you slept at the gun range and shot every day..
Easy big fellow. Ronnie likes to shoot them in the head and stacks 'em like cordwood every year. And my family really and truly prefers venison to beef. It's going to be o.k., really.

X2, Ronnie  :whip2:  

Longshanks; let it go what does it matter where others aim ? It's not worth arguing.

Its worth it to me to discuss topics like this that promote the improvement of all facets of turkey hunting. I think that is what this site is all about.  This one just happens to be on the topic of shot placement. We are all grown men who can handle a debate with out getting their feelings hurt.. i hope.  Im always open minded to ideas and strategies if folks can show me that it works and explain to me how.  I believe that teaching young folks is the future of our sport.  If there is a more effective way to convey this to them i want to know about it..Discussing shot placement will assuredly help someone reading this to become a better shot and also for others to give it some thought as to where they aim.  Ive asked hunters from time to time where they aim and they said "I dont know".  Some of the best turkey hunters in the country putting their heads together to discuss what works best is always a productive conversation.  

gotcha

Have the summer doldrums set in already?How long till fall season?

sugarray

My fall season starts October 22, so just shy of 4 mo.  I am already practicing my kee-kees and whines, thanks to Scott Ellis!!  Hope to get back on the "calling cam" on skype with my personal trainer too.

LS, dude, seems like you are just trying to win now.  Do you kill turkeys?  Yep, you sure do.  OK, don't change a thing.  Do we kill turkeys, sure do.  OK, we won't change a thing.  Good discussion.  Start a new one.  Just not about blinds, rifles, ambushing, or roost shooting.

Longshanks

Quote from: Longshanks on June 28, 2011, 03:39:14 PM
Quote from: sugarray on June 28, 2011, 08:19:33 AM
My fall season starts October 22, so just shy of 4 mo.  I am already practicing my kee-kees and whines, thanks to Scott Ellis!!  Hope to get back on the "calling cam" on skype with my personal trainer too.

LS, dude, seems like you are just trying to win now.  Do you kill turkeys?  Yep, you sure do.  OK, don't change a thing.  Do we kill turkeys, sure do.  OK, we won't change a thing.  Good discussion.  Start a new one.  Just not about blinds, rifles, ambushing, or roost shooting.

It was a good discussion. You missed it..next time why dont you participate in the discussion if you have some information, experience, evidence, or facts to bring to the table.  That would be much more productive than leaving a smart comment at the end after the discussion is done.

sugarray

Quote from: Longshanks on June 27, 2011, 09:02:54 PM
Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on June 27, 2011, 08:30:32 PM
I've killed way over 100 longbeards in my life and have seen at least twice that many die in front of gun.  When people with 40-50 years of turkey hunting wisdom try to share their experience with you might want to at least have an open mind and consider what they are saying..last time..a little common sense.

X2, Ronnie  :whip2:  

Its worth it to me to discuss topics like this that promote the improvement of all facets of turkey hunting. I think that is what this site is all about.  This one just happens to be on the topic of shot placement. We are all grown men who can handle a debate with out getting their feelings hurt.. i hope.  Im always open minded to ideas and strategies if folks can show me that it works and explain to me how.  I believe that teaching young folks is the future of our sport.  If there is a more effective way to convey this to them i want to know about it..Discussing shot placement will assuredly help someone reading this to become a better shot and also for others to give it some thought as to where they aim.  Ive asked hunters from time to time where they aim and they said "I dont know".  Some of the best turkey hunters in the country putting their heads together to discuss what works best is always a productive conversation.  

That was over huh?

Gobble!

Quote from: Longshanks on June 27, 2011, 06:03:01 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on June 27, 2011, 05:54:57 PM
Why so much anger over shotting a turkey?
I hope I stay young and dont get old and mad about everything like you older folks  :lol:

I shoot for the head. When I patterened my gun. I sighted it in so the top of my 10" circle touches the bottom of where I am aiming. That way half the patterned dosent "fly over his head.
I guess you might as well say I aim for the middle of the neck.

Just curious.. but why wouldn't you just sight in your gun so that the center of your pattern is where you are aiming..that way you have more visibility of the bird when you shoot..you would instead aim at the featherline/ waddles and be able to see more of the turkey when you make the shot..I guess if you have a scope... visibility is probably not an issue but i would always have my POA/POI on..

My reasoning is I want 0 pellets in the breast. Aiming at the waddles will put pellets in the breast. I don't eat the head or neck so I might as well load those up with pellets. I use a red dot and always know what I'm shooting. I don't really consider it not having my POI and POA the same unless I aim at the turkeys feet.

I think we should argue about whats the best seasoning for turkeys. That would be much more productive and beneficial to old and new hunters.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Gobble! on June 28, 2011, 09:40:35 PM
I think we should argue about whats the best seasoning for turkeys...

I like to season mine with hevi shot.  It adds a nice crunchy texture, so I aim for the "food parts".   :D

stinkpickle

Quote from: stinkpickle on June 28, 2011, 09:46:13 PM

I like to season mine with hevi shot.  It adds a nice crunchy texture, so I aim for the "food parts".   :D

Oh wait...  http://www.seasonshot.com/

Gobble!

Quote from: stinkpickle on June 28, 2011, 09:46:13 PM

I tried my buddies he seasoned with hevi shot but the #7s kept getting stuck in my teeth. I can believe he even uses #7s. They are too small for turkeys. I'm sure the larger sizes would add a nice texture though. 
:icon_thumright:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I aimed at the dot on this turkey target.  I'd bet money it would'nt matter much if I aimed at the head.  But to put the most shot in that piece of paper aiming where I did maximized the pattern on that paper and the turkey head and neck.  That's a no brainer to me.  That's providing that you have your gun shooting good centered patterns at your aiming point.  There is approx 76 shot in the head, neck, beak region.  That was shot at 40yds taped.  That's the backside of the target so you can better see it for your viewing pleasure.  That pattern was shot with my 870 3" 2oz #7 Hevi-Shot load with a Pure Gold .670 choke.

Longshanks

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on June 28, 2011, 10:26:19 PM
Well I aimed at the dot on this turkey target.  I'd bet money it would'nt matter much if I aimed at the head.  But to put the most shot in that piece of paper aiming where I did maximized the pattern on that paper and the turkey head and neck.  That's a no brainer to me.  That's providing that you have your gun shooting good centered patterns at your aiming point.  There is approx 76 shot in the head, neck, beak region.  That was shot at 40yds taped.  That's the backside of the target so you can better see it for your viewing pleasure.  That pattern was shot with my 870 3" 2oz #7 Hevi-Shot load with a Pure Gold .670 choke.

Yup, i thought it was a no-brainer as well when it comes to maximizing the pattern on the turkey. Most of the guys i hunt with see it that way.  Glad someone out there understands what im talking about.

GobblinNC

PALongspur

I prefer to aim right where the feathers start. I love seein' the feathers fly!