OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Aim at the head??

Started by Longshanks, June 23, 2011, 03:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Read a post where folks were discussing whether to aim at the head or not..I learned that if aim at his head half the pattern goes over his head. I aim where the feathers stop on his neck so the whole pattern hits the turkey. Very few shot in the breast and they drop like a rock..
I also have a visual on exactly where his head is when I pull the trigger as some of my guns have tru glo sights and beads. Cuts down on misses and bad hits.
A few pellets in the breast doesnt bother me because if were in a position to have to hunt for food it would be cheaper to just buy a butterball at the grocery..they taste better too. I hunt because I love to hunt and harvest game. I agree you should eat what you kill but to say you "hunt for food" like that's your only source of food is kinda ridiculous. If I add up how much I spent total for turkey season: gas, food, travel, leases, camping, shells, guns, camo etc. And divide that by the edible pounds of turkey meat. That would be some high dollar table fare..

ILIKEHEVI-13

Your exactly right.  I do the exact same. 

JUGHEAD

I agree with everything you wrote...other than the whole butterball tastes better than wild statement.  ;) 

Basser69

Quote from: JUGHEAD on June 23, 2011, 04:10:26 PM
I agree with everything you wrote...other than the whole butterball tastes better than wild statement.  ;) 

X 2!

Longshanks

Ive eaten wild turkey all over US and some prepared by chefs..I've never tasted a wild turkey that if a butter ball were cooked the same way it wouldn't taste better. Try this..bake a whole wild turkey in the oven and a butterball the same way. First try the legs as an appetizer and tell me how that goes..Serve both turkeys to your family and see which one they like. It takes a tremendous amount of seasoning, injection or deep-fry to make a wild turkey taste good.  Wild turkey is dryer, tougher, and has a wild game taste.

JUGHEAD

Quote from: Longshanks on June 23, 2011, 04:24:21 PM
Ive eaten wild turkey all over US and some prepared by chefs..I've never tasted a wild turkey that if a butter ball were cooked the same way it wouldn't taste better. Try this..bake a whole wild turkey in the oven and a butterball the same way. First try the legs as an appetizer and tell me how that goes..Serve both turkeys to your family and see which one they like. It takes so much seasoning to make a wild turkey taste good it's ridiculous. Wild turkey is dryer, tougher, and has a wild game taste.
I live in Alabama.  We don't bake anything.  Hot grease my friend.  ;D

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Longshanks

You can deep fry just about anything and make it taste decent. My point exactly..not the best table fare it that's one of the only ways you eat it..butterball fryed is much better. ;D

chatterbox

Put the crosshairs on the neck right above the wattles is the best shot placement IMO.

Longshanks

Quote from: chatterbox on June 23, 2011, 04:52:16 PM
Put the crosshairs on the neck right above the wattles is the best shot placement IMO.

Not so easy to see the waddles on a turkey coming through the woods right at daylight. Easy to see where the feathers stop. I've had better success picking a easily seen definate small target. No matter which way he's facing it's easy to dial into a definate target like where the feathers stop. Above the waddles is only a couple of inches higher but you are going by something you can't always see. To each his own I'm just saying what works best for me and the easiest way to describe where to shoot to the novice hunters I take out in the woods.

Reloader

I'm a noggin shooter.

I shoot a good bit with shotguns and rifles and tend to be pretty calm when it comes time on big game animals, but when it comes to turkey about all I can tell you is I put it on their noggin.  May be the beak, the left eye, waddles, or maybe the snood, I'm so dang shook when it happens that I just put the dot in that general vicinity and let 'er rip :D The red makes a good bullseye.  I'd like to say I take perfect aim and place the center of the ten inch from the feathers to the top of the head, but it doesn't seem to work out that way when big tom fever sets in. I guess the practice pays off as it hasn't let me down lately(knock on wood).

Longshanks

Quote from: Reloader on June 23, 2011, 06:14:26 PM
I'm a noggin shooter.

I shoot a good bit with shotguns and rifles and tend to be pretty calm when it comes time on big game animals, but when it comes to turkey about all I can tell you is I put it on their noggin.  May be the beak, the left eye, waddles, or maybe the snood, I'm so dang shook when it happens that I just put the dot in that general vicinity and let 'er rip :D The red makes a good bullseye.  I'd like to say I take perfect aim and place the center of the ten inch from the feathers to the top of the head, but it doesn't seem to work out that way when big tom fever sets in. I guess the practice pays off as it hasn't let me down lately(knock on wood).

You do realize??.. that if you aim at a turkeys head..half of the pattern goes over his head..

beagler

I always aim just above the base of the neck by alittle.
Never Misses

mossybird

I usually aim at the middle of the neck. But if you have your shotgun patterned, you put it anywhere on his head/neck, you will kill him.

Longshanks

Quote from: mossybird on June 23, 2011, 08:25:06 PM
I usually aim at the middle of the neck. But if you have your shotgun patterned, you put it anywhere on his head/neck, you will kill him.

I have seen a many a hunter shoot over the turkey by "aiming at the head". Guiding you get a chance to see over and over and over..what not to do..