turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My top three take-aways from my first year as an OG member

Started by Brillo, February 28, 2023, 10:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

1) No BS...really.  We have all perused or been members of sites where sniping and ankle biting are common.  Not here, not allowed.  Differences of opinion are fine but blunt confrontation are just not often seen.  I like that kind of environment as it is conducive to learning.
2) The weight of experienced and informed members and discussion are the star here.  OG members have likely seen or experienced just about everything turkey and are worth knowing.  I have made many searches of the site looking for specifics and can usually find what I am looking for.  If not, just post the question and you will get well qualified, considered answers.
3) If you are still with me this is the payoff...if you are a member, you can send a question or note to any other member by PM.  I have asked others where is the best place to buy a specific item or what they would recommend in a situation.  I have always gotten excellent guidance and more.

This is a great group of people and you can join OG or not.  I have found it worthwhile.

Greg Massey

Awesome post, and congrats on your 1 year anniversary..Great forum with awesome members. I agree people are always willing to help share information..

Wigsplitter

Turkeybutt

Brillo very well stated. Thank you, we are a very good group of people and if you can't get an answer to a question here I wouldn't know where you could go.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ScottTaulbee

Absolutely. The wealth of knowledge here is something to take advantage of any chance you get. I'm 27 years old and this season will make my 23rd chasing these turkeys, all self taught, and I learn something at least once a week from you other guys. I'm a firm believer that if you talk to a turkey hunter with more than a couple years under their belt, you should pick up at least one thing to add to your bag of tricks, and this place is the place to do it!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deathfoot

OG is the bomb!! Shannon is the man! I hate I was gone for so long. A great site indeed!

Tom007

Quote from: Brillo on February 28, 2023, 10:24:45 AM
1) No BS...really.  We have all perused or been members of sites where sniping and ankle biting are common.  Not here, not allowed.  Differences of opinion are fine but blunt confrontation are just not often seen.  I like that kind of environment as it is conducive to learning.
2) The weight of experienced and informed members and discussion are the star here.  OG members have likely seen or experienced just about everything turkey and are worth knowing.  I have made many searches of the site looking for specifics and can usually find what I am looking for.  If not, just post the question and you will get well qualified, considered answers.
3) If you are still with me this is the payoff...if you are a member, you can send a question or note to any other member by PM.  I have asked others where is the best place to buy a specific item or what they would recommend in a situation.  I have always gotten excellent guidance and more.

This is a great group of people and you can join OG or not.  I have found it worthwhile.

Well said. You are enjoying the site because you know how to constructively contribute and engage. Your posts have been courteous, professional, and informative. You are the kind of person that OG welcomes, we look forward to your participation, congrats! Be safe, enjoy.....
"Solo hunter"

Mick2394

Agree 100% with everything you said, I am still new to this forum and it's definitely one of the better ones and the guys on here are top notch! Always enjoy coming on here and learning more and more without having to scroll through pages of fighting. Big thanks to Shannon for making it possible!
Semper Fi

g8rvet

There was a 3-4 month period of arguments/condescension many moons ago when I first joined.  Of the three people I blocked, 2 are gone and the other I unblocked (and glad I did).  Shannon runs a top of the line site.  There are disagreements about ethics (as there should be) but they tend to remain pretty dang civil.  Everything else is about sharing the love of all things turkey.  Congrats on a year!
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Old Gobbler

Troublemakers are no good for any social environment...we've all seen them ruin a big function..pretty soon they don't make the guest  list next go around

OG is no different, I remember the very first person we banned (no comment) the traffic to the site increased .. I learned a valuable lesson.., you see the word got out , that we don't play ...troublemakers , loudmouths , and other opinionated jerks ( that fight with each other )when thrown off OG , typically run on over to other sites ..where they kiss and make up ..then talk trash about me and the OG site ..what they have really done ..is run on over to other sites ..and ruin those . And give free advertising for OG by mentioning how they got kicked off , I couldn't thank them enough!

But anyways..life is short , like the rest of you , we don't have time to run around chasing some grown  man that acts like fool ....so we move on

Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 28, 2023, 02:40:29 PM
Troublemakers are no good for any social environment...
Shannon

How on earth am I still here? :D It is a great site.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

runngun

This is a great place, and I have always enjoyed it. Early on, we had a great crowd of fellows. The whole site is such a great wealth of information/knowledge.  We have a Devotional section that is awesome. So many great folks, and we lost several in the past few years. One guy who always has stood out was allaboutshooting. He and his wife held all kinds of shotgun records with the NWTF. SO MANY AWESOME THINGS HAPPEN RIGHT HERE!!!

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: runngun on February 28, 2023, 03:27:55 PM
This is a great place, and I have always enjoyed it. Early on, we had a great crowd of fellows. The whole site is such a great wealth of information/knowledge.  We have a Devotional section that is awesome. So many great folks, and we lost several in the past few years. One guy who always has stood out was allaboutshooting. He and his wife held all kinds of shotgun records with the NWTF. SO MANY AWESOME THINGS HAPPEN RIGHT HERE!!!

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I wish I had been a member when Mr. Lovett Williams was still alive and a member, I bet he was fascinating to talk to.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."