OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Are crossbows legal in your state?

Started by mcw3734, February 26, 2023, 09:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

I just saw that here in Idaho, as of July 2022, one can now hunt upland game birds, including turkeys, with a crossbow. Didn't know that.

Question:

Is spring turkey hunting with a crossbow legal in your state?

If you spring hunt with a crossbow, what can you say about it? What's the ethical range? Any advantages or disadvantages? Crippling issues?

I've heard crossbow hunting in general has grown out east, but honestly I really don't know anything about it.

MossyOak92

They are legal here in GA. My wife has used one to deer hunt. She is pretty effective out to about 40 yards with it. The only advantage I could see if to hunt archery only areas. Compared to a compound there is a lot less movement to shoot.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2022) using Tapatalk

Vintage

Kentucky is legal for crossbow hunting.

Cut N Run

It is legal to hunt turkeys with a crossbow in North Carolina.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Sir-diealot

NY: You may hunt with a bow or crossbow, but you may not hunt turkey with a crossbow in the fall in the Northern Zone if you are using dogs. A crossbow may not be used in Westchester or Suffolk counties.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tail Feathers

Legal in TX if your license has the archery and turkey endorsements.  I have a crossbow, but I'm not confident enough to try it on a turkey...yet.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Vintage

cannonball

Hook hanger

Legal in MO

Ethical range depends on personl ability.
Advantage is don't have to hold the draw while waiting for the shot. Cons they are heavy and awkward to carry around the woods. Crippling rate would be same as a bow. I have killed numerous with both crossbow and regular bow it takes knowing the anatomy of a turkey to know where to put the arrow. When expandable  broadheads came out it helped. The bigger the better in my experience as long as they are pin point accurate.

BDeal

deathfoot

It is legal here in VA. I'm not a bow hunter these days so I have no experience with them.

Greg Massey

I have a friend who has tried to kill one with a crossbow for over 2 years. Each year i would show him my dead gobbler after the second year of him trying with no luck the third year he had his shotgun and left the crossbow at home..LOL.. It's not as easy as you think using a crossbow / bow .. IMO

Bowguy

sswv