OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey check system

Started by deathfoot, February 26, 2023, 08:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathfoot

So the season opener thread opened up a thought I've often pondered..

Why do some (I would guess most actually) states not require you to check in your turkey?? Here in Virginia it's been required since I began hunting. And Virginia has a great record keeping system. This allows them to know exactly how many turkeys are killed and which counties etc. now, I realize there are those who don't check them in. But it's still a good system to have.

I've hunted multiple states. And I can't recall very many of them with the check in system and I always found that mind boggling. I know some states send out surveys as I've gotten those. But that in itself isn't a true kill count. I do think more states are going to this as I've researched for travel and hopefully more states continue to get on board.

I'm also a firm believer in separating the tags. Which Virginia doesn't do for turkeys. They separated the bear tag several years ago due to the bear hunters request. This keeps a deer hunter from just happening to shoot a bear as it walks by while deer hunting (legally) unless you have a tag. And then the bear must be checked in. While most of the fall turkey season here in VA doesn't fall during rifle season (in my region), turkeys can be shot on certain days of rifle deer season. And yes, with a rifle (that's a whole other subject). I've always found it hard to stomach knowing that someone sitting in a deer stand can blast a turkey with a .300 mag on those days. But it happens. Way too much. When you buy a big game license in Virginia it comes with both deer and turkey tags. It's my opinion they should be separate. This would give the game department an honest number of turkey hunters and it would reduce the number of turkey killers during deer season with a 30/30 or .308 or whatever high power rifle they have.

So while I think it's good to debate issues such as opening times, bag limits etc. I think that each state needs to look at a check in system. And we all know that isn't full proof. But it's better than a complete guess estimate!

sasquatch1

Quote from: deathfoot on February 26, 2023, 08:28:19 PM
So the season opener thread opened up a thought I've often pondered..

Why do some (I would guess most actually) states not require you to check in your turkey?? Here in Virginia it's been required since I began hunting. And Virginia has a great record keeping system. This allows them to know exactly how many turkeys are killed and which counties etc. now, I realize there are those who don't check them in. But it's still a good system to have.

I've hunted multiple states. And I can't recall very many of them with the check in system and I always found that mind boggling. I know some states send out surveys as I've gotten those. But that in itself isn't a true kill count. I do think more states are going to this as I've researched for travel and hopefully more states continue to get on board.

I'm also a firm believer in separating the tags. Which Virginia doesn't do for turkeys. They separated the bear tag several years ago due to the bear hunters request. This keeps a deer hunter from just happening to shoot a bear as it walks by while deer hunting (legally) unless you have a tag. And then the bear must be checked in. While most of the fall turkey season here in VA doesn't fall during rifle season (in my region), turkeys can be shot on certain days of rifle deer season. And yes, with a rifle (that's a whole other subject). I've always found it hard to stomach knowing that someone sitting in a deer stand can blast a turkey with a .300 mag on those days. But it happens. Way too much. When you buy a big game license in Virginia it comes with both deer and turkey tags. It's my opinion they should be separate. This would give the game department an honest number of turkey hunters and it would reduce the number of turkey killers during deer season with a 30/30 or .308 or whatever high power rifle they have.

So while I think it's good to debate issues such as opening times, bag limits etc. I think that each state needs to look at a check in system. And we all know that isn't full proof. But it's better than a complete guess estimate!
My guess on why not has a lot to do with old timer ways and politics

Just doing away with a lot of check stations and paper check in cards in Ms, and going to internet check ins on an App caused a lot of drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neill_Prater

You are preaching to the choir with me. Amen! I have been saying basically the same thing for several decades. Used to really irritate me when I would see a state publish estimated harvest figures.  What a load of crap. Survey maybe 5% of the hunters and try to extrapolate the total.

Even worse in states like Alabama, where, as stated, tags are not separate and only a general hunting license is required. Absolutely impossible to get an accurate assessment of the number of turkey hunters, let alone the kill numbers.

To their credit, changes are being in many states, Alabama and Kansas included. Always better late than never. Missouri has always required separate tags as well as check in. There's really no excuse for any state to not do so in the 21st century, especially given the technology of smart phones which makes the whole process easier.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

States are going to checking birds in because they are aware of the population drops and want to be able to have a solid number of harvest data in order to help plan and manage the birds.  Knowing what you have and what you take from the flock each year is pretty important.  Some states are kind of late to the game on harvest reporting but I think most will have it soon if they don't already.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mcw3734

In Idaho we have tags specific to the game species. So, yes, we have turkey tags. There is no check-in, unless you happen to come upon a roadside check station on the drive home, which I've yet to see during the spring turkey season. I just filled out a questionnaire from the state about my turkey hunting last year. More questions about fall hunting than spring, hummmmm... .

Also, residents are allowed to buy a Sportsman's Package which includes your basic hunting and fishing license, plus tags for deer, elk, bear, mountain lion, wolf, turkey, salmon and steelhead. Archery and muzzleloader are validated on the license. I don't buy it, but my impression is that it's popular. Whether its separate, or through the Sportsman's Package, a general turkey tag can be used in the spring, or if unused, saved for the fall.

I turkey hunted in Oregon last year for the first time and registered my kill through their app.

I have a lifetime license for New York State and each year I have my bear, deer and turkey tags mailed to me. I haven't hunted in NY since the mid-90s so I'm not familiar what the reporting requirements are now.

huntineveryday

Nebraska is going to tele-check for turkeys this season. I think it's a good move, it'll provide data needed to shape future season/date changes if needed, or not needed. Since I started hunting there has never been a check-in process for turkeys. A survey emailed after the season the last few years has been it.

Deer shot outside of the firearm season require telecheck, so there have been a lot of residents using that system already. It's not too complicated and can be done over the phone or online.

Wigsplitter

Arkansas has been telecheck for many years - seems to work and is convenient but hunters MUST check their kill in or it won't work!! Mangers and biologists need sound data numbers!

quavers59

I wish New Jersey still had Check Stations. It all comes down to Money. There seems to be less money for everything these days.

Neill_Prater

Quote from: quavers59 on February 27, 2023, 07:30:16 AM
    I wish New Jersey still had Check Stations. It all comes down to Money. There seems to be less money for everything these days.

Missouri had physical check stations for both deer and turkey until maybe 2000? Not sure of the year. I've heard others lament the loss here as well, but I look at it differently. I don't have any stats to back my thinking up, but humans are, by nature, lazy. Theoretically, the easier the process, the greater the participation rate.

Here an animal had to be checked in the county of harvest, or an adjoining one. A hypothetical: if you are one of those tends to follow the rules, but are not necessarily a stickler for them, and you have a gobbler in your trunk that took you 3 hours to bring into gun range and you are now 45 miles away from home and running late for a family trip to grandma and grandpa's house you promised the wife and kids, are you more likely to take a side trip to the nearest check station 12 miles out of your way, or punch a few "buttons" on your phone?

joey46

Florida FINALLY went to mandatory harvest reporting this year.   It can be done on line or over the phone. 
1-888-486-8356.  Paper harvest log available if no cell service.  Kill must be put on paper or call made prior to moving bird from location where recovered.  Youth seasons started last weekend.  South zone opens next Saturday.  Good luck to all.

roberthyman14

Florida check in process is a joke.  Until the have an actual tag. It doesn't solve much.  With the paper system you can throw it away once you get home and the animal is all cleaned up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hook hanger

Quote from: Neill_Prater on February 27, 2023, 09:44:37 AM
Quote from: quavers59 on February 27, 2023, 07:30:16 AM

Missouri had physical check stations for both deer and turkey until maybe 2000? Not sure of the year. I've heard others lament the loss here as well, but I look at it differently. I don't have any stats to back my thinking up, but humans are, by nature, lazy. Theoretically, the easier the process, the greater the participation rate.

Here an animal had to be checked in the county of harvest, or an adjoining one. A hypothetical: if you are one of those tends to follow the rules, but are not necessarily a stickler for them, and you have a gobbler in your trunk that took you 3 hours to bring into gun range and you are now 45 miles away from home and running late for a family trip to grandma and grandpa's house you promised the wife and kids, are you more likely to take a side trip to the nearest check station 12 miles out of your way, or punch a few "buttons" on your phone?

Retired guys on weekdays used to go to the check stations and drink coffee watching to see what was checked in and by who. It was a half social event as they weighed them and measured spurs and beards. I think more were checked in then than now with the tele-check system. We also had sticker tags that had the dates on them once you pulled off the sticker backing was hard to use it again. It was a 2 week season back then one tag per week. I think they also got better/more accurate information about the birds back then.

joey46

Quote from: roberthyman14 on February 27, 2023, 10:14:56 AM
Florida check in process is a joke.  Until the have an actual tag. It doesn't solve much.  With the paper system you can throw it away once you get home and the animal is all cleaned up.

Poachers will always poach.  It took too long to even get this far.  We'll see how it goes.

Greg Massey

Tennessee has always had a checking Season ... What hurt our season is the Covid Year / lock down, with so many people turkey hunting that really weren't turkey hunters ... They used these numbers in helping decide to move the season back 2 weeks in April...  We have app on our phones we can use to check your kills in the State Of Tenn... Check before you drag / move the kill, regardless if you have phone service at the time...

roberthyman14

Quote from: joey46 on February 27, 2023, 10:18:34 AM
Quote from: roberthyman14 on February 27, 2023, 10:14:56 AM

Poachers will always poach.  It took too long to even get this far.  We'll see how it goes.
Correct.  I think they really need to go to tag like gator season.  Harder to take off n reuse.  Stiffer penalties if caught.