OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey hunting Boots?

Started by runngun, February 25, 2023, 06:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

These are the Danners I'm trying this year. They are rear zip, I want to avoid laces. They are real comfortable, easy to get on and come in Wide with. Yes, they are Goretex, and unusually lightweight, so I am hoping no leaks...be safe, good luck this spring...
"Solo hunter"

Sungrazer

Made In USA Red Wing#2408 (steel toe)
I receive a work shoe voucher once a year. Figure if my Red Wings are comfortable enough for a 12 hour shift on concrete going up&down stairs & lugging heavy things over my shoulder than it would be OK to wear an old school all leather light weight work boot for Turkey hunting.
The seller has a silicone dip tank, I have them dipped 2 weeks before my opener and wear Kenetrek gaitors.
Works for me-YMMV
MADE IN USA

Old Timer

Quote from: Matt76cmich on February 26, 2023, 06:20:17 PM
Out of the boots I tried on, my feet liked the Lowa Renegades the best. Definitely been one of my favorite boots.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Do they run true to size?

Tandin93

I have the Crispi Lapponia uninsulated, and I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt76cmich

Quote from: Old Timer on April 04, 2023, 05:50:52 PM
Quote from: Matt76cmich on February 26, 2023, 06:20:17 PM
Out of the boots I tried on, my feet liked the Lowa Renegades the best. Definitely been one of my favorite boots.

Do they run true to size?
I belive so. I ordered the same size I would for any of my shoes or work boots.  I normally wear a wool sock like darn toughs (thickness of socks dependent of temps).

Old Timer

Thanks. I think the lowas are my next try. Kenny's although a very nice boot were just to stiff.

cannonball

I wear the Muck Wetland Pro snake boots. They are a little on the heavy side but I don't mind with all the Copperheads in the area I hunt.

Old Timer

Quote from: cannonball on April 04, 2023, 07:50:46 PM
I wear the Muck Wetland Pro snake boots. They are a little on the heavy side but I don't mind with all the Copperheads in the area I hunt.
love my Mucks. Shot a nice 8pt last fall trip over an antler and punctured a boot. Guess I got a little excited! They weren't the snake model though.

BBR12

I wear/wore  crispi for a few years. Got the Nevada's I believe they are a little heavy and still waterproof after several years However the rand and the bottom are starting to separate. Got a pair of valdres and they leaked pretty quick sent them back and got a new pair. They are still waterproof but again the rand is almost completely gone and there is now uncovered stitching across the toe so they will leak before long.
I'm not real happy about how the crispi's hold up.

This year I got a pair of zamberlain and they fit my feet great and are holding up so far. They are a beast to break in. Mine are still pretty stiff and I've probably been wearing them off and on since thanksgiving.

If anyone is looking to buy crispi or zamberlan they typically have them 20% off for Black Friday. That's is when I have bought all mine.

TScottW99

Lacrosse Alpha Burleys. I wore my first pair out after fifteen years or so, just picked up a new pair on sale.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Gooserbat

Quote from: Cowboy on February 26, 2023, 02:04:56 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on February 25, 2023, 11:53:11 PM
Once you get to the Lowa, Crispi, Zamberlin... Realm of boots you are in a different class than Danner, Rocky, and such.  I wore Danner for years and the last couple of pairs were not all that great so I tried Crispi. Have two pairs now and not a complaint.  Just make sure you get a model that is waterproof.  On a side note I'm looking at Zamberlin for the next pair just to try something different.
Not to hijack the thread, but which type of the Crispi boots have you used?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Nevada and Summit ll
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Flatsnbay

Quote from: Cowboy on February 26, 2023, 02:03:31 PM
Quote from: Cottonmouth on February 25, 2023, 06:17:15 PM
I've been wearing L L Bean Maine hunting shoes. Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. Stay away from Irish setter vaportreks. They leak and wear out after 1 season.
Agree on the Vaportreks. Mine last less than 2 seasons. Sides ripped out on both.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
I had a bad experience with the Irish Setter Vaportreks too. After only a few times, they started coming apart and also leaked. I had to return them.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Old Timer

Picked a pair of Lowa Renegades up today. Wore them for about 2 hours. Pretty comfy. I think they will work. Also replaced my Mucks so I believe I`ll be set. now for a set of gaiters.

Ridge

Are you even allowed to step foot in the woods nowadays if you're not wearing Crispi's with a pair of gaiters?

wyetterp

I covered close to 75+ miles in the past week with a new pair of vivobarefoot tracker 2 fg's with gaiters from ultimate camo. Everything was holding & crossing in swamps & creek bottoms.  Everyday, I was having to do several water & mud crossings up to knee high. Feet never got wet. Feet felt great during & after it was all said & done.

That combo let me fly through some woods with ease & way quieter than any of my, older, clunky boots. Crazy light. Reminded me of moccasins, but waterproof. Stealthy for sure. Just enough hard sole to pad from sharp rocks while still being able to feel every twing. Ankle support was spot on. Kept me from rolling my ankles several times when hustling.

All in all, I'm beyond impressed with the combo. Wasn't so sure how they'd do. They get an A+ from me.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.