only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey hunting Boots?

Started by runngun, February 25, 2023, 06:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmart241

I have been wearing Meindls had great luck with them

BillKilgore

My friend got me hooked on the Le Chameau boots. I have the the Vierzonord and love them. They recently came out with a lace up boot that I hear is great, the  Chameau lite Lcx 10 inch. And as always everything Chameau is waterproof. I just switched to them after wearing out a pair of Lowa boots (took 15 years).

btomlin

I've been wearing a set of Danner Grouse. More exoensive than the pronghorns and sharptails, but worth every penny so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDeal

I've used Danner Pronghorns for several years and love how light and comfortable they are but I only get 2-3 years out of a pair at the most. I just bought a pair of Crispi Wild Rocks that are almost twice the cost. Hopefully they hold up a little longer. I haven't used them yet so I can't really comment yet but they do seem comfortable and well made out of the box. I only wear knee-highs if I absolutely have to and have a pair of Cabela's brand for that and they have held up well for many years but I don't use them a ton.

Archivist13

I love my Danner Pronghorns. This will be my third year and I use them for both turkey and deer.

BDeal

Quote from: Archivist13 on February 26, 2023, 12:41:23 PM
I love my Danner Pronghorns. This will be my third year and I use them for both turkey and deer.

I used mine for turkey and deer as well. They worked great for about a year and then started leaking slowly and by the end of year 2 they had multiple tears in them from normal use.

slicksbeagles1

That have a certain model Zamberlan on sale at Midway. I have worn vasque breeze, Lowa renegade, Crispi Wyoming and have not had a problem yet! Crispi are my favorite just take awhile to break in the others are right out of box and never had wet feet. I bought some Kenetrek Mountain boots uninsulated at Christmas and so far so good just not broken in yet they recommend 50 miles on flat
ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingoman

Many folks prefer a high rubber boot for crossing creeks on the way to the spot. Lots of places, these aren't as necessary. Think a rubber one is what you'll benefit from?

Cowboy

Quote from: Cottonmouth on February 25, 2023, 06:17:15 PM
I've been wearing L L Bean Maine hunting shoes. Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. Stay away from Irish setter vaportreks. They leak and wear out after 1 season.
Agree on the Vaportreks. Mine last less than 2 seasons. Sides ripped out on both.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Cowboy

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 25, 2023, 11:53:11 PM
Once you get to the Lowa, Crispi, Zamberlin... Realm of boots you are in a different class than Danner, Rocky, and such.  I wore Danner for years and the last couple of pairs were not all that great so I tried Crispi. Have two pairs now and not a complaint.  Just make sure you get a model that is waterproof.  On a side note I'm looking at Zamberlin for the next pair just to try something different.
Not to hijack the thread, but which type of the Crispi boots have you used?

MossyOak92

I really like Salomon quest 04 boots. If I need a knee high rubber boot I like Irish setters.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2022) using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: Cowboy on February 26, 2023, 02:03:31 PM
I've been wearing L L Bean Maine hunting shoes. Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. Stay away from Irish setter vaportreks. They leak and wear out after 1 season.
Agree on the Vaportreks. Mine last less than 2 seasons. Sides ripped out on both.

X2 here. I was a big Irish Setter fan until they switched to their own waterproof system, not Goretex. Here's my thoughts/opinion. If they ain't Goretex, they WILL leak. I went to Danner Sharptail Goretex. Back to dry feet.....
"Solo hunter"

hunter85

I wear Chippewa snake boot, a cheap pair of pvc hip waders, or just got a pair of lacrosse rubber snake proof boots all with crocs inserts and depending on where I'm hunting depends on what boot I'm going to wear. But being in Florida swamps the chance of stepping on a copperrattlemoccasin is very high so I like some kind of protection. The chippewa's I keep heavy waxed for water resistance.

Mallard1897

Quote from: Tom007 on February 26, 2023, 02:28:13 PM
Quote from: Cowboy on February 26, 2023, 02:03:31 PM

X2 here. I was a big Irish Setter fan until they switched to their own waterproof system, not Goretex. Here's my thoughts/opinion. If they ain't Goretex, they WILL leak. I went to Danner Sharptail Goretex. Back to dry feet.....

Another disappointed in the vaportreks. Not that expensive as far as waterproof boots go but I was hoping to get more than one season out of them for the price. Don't think I had dry feet with them even right out of the box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Archivist13

Quote from: BDeal on February 26, 2023, 12:47:06 PM
Quote from: Archivist13 on February 26, 2023, 12:41:23 PM

I used mine for turkey and deer as well. They worked great for about a year and then started leaking slowly and by the end of year 2 they had multiple tears in them from normal use.

That's not good. I don't have any tears, BUT I do have issues with water getting through. I have never had luck with that on any boots I have owned though. I should really go to rubber boots for turkey, but I don't want to walk up and down the hills with them.