turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey hunting Boots?

Started by runngun, February 25, 2023, 06:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishr64

I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns that weren't comfortable to me so I gave them to a cousin that had a pair and loved them. I think they just didn't fit me right as lots of people rave on them, at least the older models. I went to Crispi Wyoming's and love them for turkey and deer hunting. I also bought a pair of Crispi Idaho's that are comfortable too. Both of these have a wider toe box so the regular width works for me. I picked up a pair of Crispi Thor's thinking they would be lightweight for turkey but they fit me more snug but are comfortable. (My son-in-law has the Thor's and loves them. He has a narrow foot.)

The big thing is finding a boot that fits your feet, feel comfortable in the store or at your house and have a full Gortex bootie if going with that style boot. Many of the lower priced boots only have a Gortex upper that is welded to the sole.

Good luck with your search.

Matt76cmich

Out of the boots I tried on, my feet liked the Lowa Renegades the best. Definitely been one of my favorite boots.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

roberthyman14

Being in Florida i now wear lacrosse snake books
Had rockys and Irish setters.  Both left my feet wet just from walking in tall grass.  Plenty of things that bite or crawl on you. So the added length and protection. Is great.  Also you can tuck a sticker in the top of your boot when set up. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rifleman

I decided that I wanted to move into the top echelon of boots a few years back and bought a pair of Nevadas by Crispi.  I could not belive that the first time I wore them hunting that the left boot leaked along the side.  I had got them from Black Ovis and returned for them to test and of course they said they didn't leak.  I them contacted Crispi who said that it was the fault of the gore-tex and to contact Gore-tex.  I did that and they could only look at them if I had the original sales receipt.  So now they are dry weather boots only for close to $400 boots.  Just save all receipts and BEWARE!

Burtwill

I wear Crispis or lacrosse la grange depending on how much water is in the area. The lacrosse's had a hole after only a year but they are decent. I will try Lite boots next.

stinkpickle

LaCrosse made nice boot specifically for Bass Pro a few years back that had become my favorite.  It was similar to the Alphaburly, but it fit better.  Apparently, they've been discontinued.   My son has been using Tingleys, and they're so light, I'm going to switch over to them this year.  I've worn out all my Danners.

Matt76cmich

Quote from: rifleman on March 07, 2023, 10:55:12 AM
I decided that I wanted to move into the top echelon of boots a few years back and bought a pair of Nevadas by Crispi.  I could not belive that the first time I wore them hunting that the left boot leaked along the side.  I had got them from Black Ovis and returned for them to test and of course they said they didn't leak.  I them contacted Crispi who said that it was the fault of the gore-tex and to contact Gore-tex.  I did that and they could only look at them if I had the original sales receipt.  So now they are dry weather boots only for close to $400 boots.  Just save all receipts and BEWARE!
That sucks. Do you have the email from Black Ovis for when you bought them? Would Black Ovis have record of the sale for you?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

C-Train

It seemed that most boots waterproofing would only last a year or 2.  4 years ago I finally switched to a pair of Kenetrek boots and could not be happier.  extremely comfortable and still waterproof. 

rifleman

Matt76cmich,  don't know if they have that info. and at this stage I don't care.  I know the boots leaked because before I sent them to Ovis I put tissues in the boot and held it in water for 15 mins. or so and the tissues were wet.  So I really fault Black Ovis.  The Crispi boots are quite well made but I do find them heavy for turkey hunting.  I just bought a cheap waterproof hiking shoe to try this year and as always snake chaps.

Turkeyfever

Check out LITE  boots, these things are unbelievably light and you can walk all day in them. If you want a rubber type boot , I highly recommend them. Each  boot  weighs around 13 ounces. I didn't think there was anything in the box when mine  arrived . I always wear rubber boots so they work well for me.

King Cobra

LL Bean Maine hunting boot, Lowa's, or Muck's based on the weather and area i'm hunting in.
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Brillo

Depends on your foot and where/how you hunt.  Wide, narrow, etc.  My foot is very wide.  I like Hanwag Alaska and Lowa Tibet in hikers.  Other models by both manufacturers are too narrow for me.  I also don't hunt around snakes.  Some tolerate rubber boots well but I don't like walking in them unless I have to.  Lots of great choices.

shatcher

Had a pheasant hunting guide in SD swear by the Kenetreks.  He said they outlasted anything he tried.  Anyone have any experience with them?  Thanks

MNGobbler

Depending on my situation of where I am hunting, it is either Lacrosse knee boots, Lacrosse Snake boots, or my Kenetreks. They all do the job are tough and keep my feet in good shape.

Swamp_870

A lot of good boots out there but Danner Recurve's are by far my favorite for stomping down large tracts of land.