OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

State season alignment opinions

Started by sasquatch1, February 24, 2023, 11:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

650 miles from South Florida to North Georgia. Yes, I can understand why the season starts are almost a month apart.

WV Flopper

Yes, screw the hunters out of huntable days and put them in the woods more so while hens are nesting and hatching.

There is a window to this whole game, it's not as easy as just pushing it back without effecting something else. If your going to push it back, say your shortening the season and be done with it.

sasquatch1

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 26, 2023, 07:50:08 PM
Yes, screw the hunters out of huntable days and put them in the woods more so while hens are nesting and hatching.

There is a window to this whole game, it's not as easy as just pushing it back without effecting something else. If your going to push it back, say your shortening the season and be done with it.
So what's your suggestion to help the wild Turkey.

From where it's at (many believe it's not too good)

Leave it be? Shorten season? Limit non residents or opportunities?

Do you feel it's as good as it can be currently, to balance opportunity without hurting the resource?

We all know habitat is the largest control knob, yet it's the hardest to do on scale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sixes

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 26, 2023, 07:26:12 PM
Quote from: Sixes on February 26, 2023, 07:19:37 PM
I'd rather see all states go to their own quota system for non residents.

I know that won't be a popular opinion, but make the states a hard quota draw.
That would affect ALL Turkey hunters that move around, which is many. So that'd be very unpopular I would think.

Would help local residents though.

Any Non resident restrictions would probably always be public land driven only. Which also could have negative affects with even more private leases being taken from residents etc etc

My post is to help the birds not NR hunters.

As far as leases here in Georgia, I'm not sure that NR pressure for leases could even increase from what it is now.  I have no issue with NRs on their own land or leases, but they should have to jump through hoops for public state lands.

Georgia is missing out on a ton of money by having deer/turkey/bear all under one license fee instead of separating the species and charging for them independently

sasquatch1

Quote from: Sixes on February 26, 2023, 08:10:24 PM

That would affect ALL Turkey hunters that move around, which is many. So that'd be very unpopular I would think.

Any Non resident restrictions would probably always be public land driven only. Which also could have negative affects with even more private leases being taken from residents etc etc

As far as leases here in Georgia, I'm not sure that NR pressure for leases could even increase from what it is now.  I have no issue with NRs on their own land or leases, but they should have to jump through hoops for public state lands.

Georgia is missing out on a ton of money by having deer/turkey/bear all under one license fee instead of separating the species and charging for them independently
How does my idea help non residents? By taking away their ability to bounce around to isolated areas??

Yea it would also affect residents tho I understand

But, to heavily restrict non residents also hurts a large portion of turkey hunters being we are only residents in 1 state.

Leases can get worse always. A lot of pullover land is timber leases, once the date can't compete with outside money those wmas disappear. Seen that happen in La multiple times

Sir-diealot

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 26, 2023, 08:08:18 PM

If your goal is really to help the bird then why only limit the take of non residents? If you are going to help them then limit them across the board, otherwise it comes off like you are just trying to get more for yourself.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk at all but that is what it sounds like to me whenever ANYBODY suggests shortening it for NR's but keeping the same for residents. If we are going to help them that way then do the same take for everyone and lower the take for everyone.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sixes

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 26, 2023, 08:34:29 PM
Quote from: Sixes on February 26, 2023, 08:10:24 PM

How does my idea help non residents? By taking away their ability to bounce around to isolated areas??

Yea it would also affect residents tho I understand

But, to heavily restrict non residents also hurts a large portion of turkey hunters being we are only residents in 1 state.

Leases can get worse always. A lot of pullover land is timber leases, once the date can't compete with outside money those wmas disappear. Seen that happen in La multiple times

Either you misunderstood or I wrote it wrong.  You wrote that it would be unpopular to traveling hunters, and what I meant was my suggestion is not about helping NR hunters and I don't care if it is popular for traveling hunters nor if they dislike the idea.

Our population in Georgia has went downhill quickly over the last few years. We've already lost part of the season and lost one bird off the limit. Residents should come first in any state and NRs should be after thoughts for the state.

Yes, I put residents over non residents in importance.

And yes, I do hunt in Alabama each year as a NR on private land, and if they went to a NR quota or further restrictions on NRs, I would be fine with the rules.

Wigsplitter

This has been done in a few border states around my home state of Arkansas- Arkansas took very aggressive measures a couple years back- one was to back up season and also shorten season - we used to open a week ahead of Missouri so Arkansas folks would hunt here a week then move up there - now they open same week - eliminating a good bit of nonresident pressure on MO - also now Mississippi who opens really early and was an early target for nonresident is now a draw for nonresidents  for first couple weeks eliminating nonresidents pressure there- nobody is coming to Arkansas to turkey hunt - it's not like it was in 80s and early 90s- and we only allow one bird first week as does Missouri- it's taken a long time to get these things in place - countrywide opening date same I say no - a few states banding together to help disperse pressure and try to protect turkeys I say it's being done already in places- good hunting and good luck!!!

Sixes

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 26, 2023, 09:19:10 PM

If your goal is really to help the bird then why only limit the take of non residents? If you are going to help them then limit them across the board, otherwise it comes off like you are just trying to get more for yourself.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk at all but that is what it sounds like to me whenever ANYBODY suggests shortening it for NR's but keeping the same for residents. If we are going to help them that way then do the same take for everyone and lower the take for everyone.

Why would a resident not want to maintain their resources to their own residents?

I'm not sure you comprehend what is going on in the southern states with all the NRs and the pressure being put on public land. In Georgia, only a very small amount of land is public land, the rest of the ~97% is privately owned, so you take all those NR public land hunters and stick them on minute pieces of land, then it negatively effects the population and this negative effect in turn affects surrounding private lands.

If you look at a GA map, the vast majority of public land is north Georgia, which is also the roughest land in the state and holds the least amount of game.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sixes on February 26, 2023, 10:13:11 PM

Why would a resident not want to maintain their resources to their own residents?

I'm not sure you comprehend what is going on in the southern states with all the NRs and the pressure being put on public land. In Georgia, only a very small amount of land is public land, the rest of the ~97% is privately owned, so you take all those NR public land hunters and stick them on minute pieces of land, then it negatively effects the population and this negative effect in turn affects surrounding private lands.

If you look at a GA map, the vast majority of public land is north Georgia, which is also the roughest land in the state and holds the least amount of game.
Would they not maintain them better if everyone had the same limits? It is either about preserving or it is not. By the way, I am in NY the public land is full of people as well, I know it is a nightmare to find land to hunt that is not overloaded on public here. Then you get a situation where we got a new park oh jeepers I do not recall what they call them but each one can set new sections as they see fit where people hunt. We got a new one at one of our parts that cut the area in half, gave the public the worse half that can be hunted and you can go through and see him and his buddies hunting all the good parts of the park and it does no good to complain because just about everybody in the government is anti hunting anyway. Park Ranger I think he is called.

Now I do not hunt turkey on public normally unless I just want to do something new or somebody new asks me to go out with them but I do have to bow and muzzleload hunt public as the owners of where I turkey hunt do not want you to hunt with bow at all no matter what and only muzzleloader during regular deer season so I see the problems that he is causing first hand. Now you take the way I walk and they land types that I am safe to traverse and I am very limited.

All I am getting at is if it really is about saving the turkey then we should all do the same thing to try to save them, resident and non resident alike. I think nonresidents put out far more money to hunt public than residents do (Gas, campsite/hotel, crazy fee for license, meals away from home and so on) so if anything they should get more not that I think anyone should because after all we ARE in theory trying to save the turkey for future generations. OH I have to correct myself, I am not allowed to Fall hunt for turkey there either as they are afraid I will scare the deer away so I have to either find someplace to set up a blind at another friends or get someone else to come along with me to help set up a blind, chair and all because I am unable to sit on the ground.

Georgia: Rushton says about 40,000 to 50,000 folks go turkey hunting in the state

New York: Wild turkeys are one of the most popular game species in New York State. About 90,000 hunters participate in the spring hunting season and 45,000 hunters take to the field each fall in pursuit of this great game bird.

Georgia: 6,870 acres of land owned by the state is open for public hunting

New York   30,161 acres for hunting.

How many wild turkeys are in New York?
Image result for How many turkey hunters in NY
approximately 180,000 turkeys

300,000 turkeys
Georgia turkey populations, like those through much of the Southeast, are in decline from successful post-restoration numbers. Biologists esimated that the state had about 250,000 to 300,000 turkeys in 2022. That was down from about 350,000 a few years earlier.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sixes

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 26, 2023, 10:43:08 PM

Would they not maintain them better if everyone had the same limits? It is either about preserving or it is not. By the way, I am in NY the public land is full of people as well, I know it is a nightmare to find land to hunt that is not overloaded on public here. Then you get a situation where we got a new park oh jeepers I do not recall what they call them but each one can set new sections as they see fit where people hunt. We got a new one at one of our parts that cut the area in half, gave the public the worse half that can be hunted and you can go through and see him and his buddies hunting all the good parts of the park and it does no good to complain because just about everybody in the government is anti hunting anyway. Park Ranger I think he is called.

Now I do not hunt turkey on public normally unless I just want to do something new or somebody new asks me to go out with them but I do have to bow and muzzleload hunt public as the owners of where I turkey hunt do not want you to hunt with bow at all no matter what and only muzzleloader during regular deer season so I see the problems that he is causing first hand. Now you take the way I walk and they land types that I am safe to traverse and I am very limited.

All I am getting at is if it really is about saving the turkey then we should all do the same thing to try to save them, resident and non resident alike. I think nonresidents put out far more money to hunt public than residents do (Gas, campsite/hotel, crazy fee for license, meals away from home and so on) so if anything they should get more not that I think anyone should because after all we ARE in theory trying to save the turkey for future generations. OH I have to correct myself, I am not allowed to Fall hunt for turkey there either as they are afraid I will scare the deer away so I have to either find someplace to set up a blind at another friends or get someone else to come along with me to help set up a blind, chair and all because I am unable to sit on the ground.

I never mentioned having different limits for residents vs non residents.

Same limit is fine, just limit the NRs allowed to hunt.

As far as NRs paying more, that is such a myth.  They might bring in a little money if they lease land, but guys coming in  paying 300 bucks for 12 deer and 2 gobblers, while sleeping in tents and cooking meals are not doing anything for the economy.

As far as residents and what we pay, I paid 5900+ in state income tax (just me, not family) last year, plus 7% sales tax on every purchase, 3500 in property taxes, plus other fees and crap, so please don't compare some NR hunter coming in for few days to hammer our resources as an equal in "what they bring in"

sasquatch1

Quote from: Sixes on February 26, 2023, 11:00:22 PM

As far as NRs paying more, that is such a myth.  They might bring in a little money if they lease land, but guys coming in  paying 300 bucks for 12 deer and 2 gobblers, while sleeping in tents and cooking meals are not doing anything for the economy.

As far as residents and what we pay, I paid 5900+ in state income tax (just me, not family) last year, plus 7% sales tax on every purchase, 3500 in property taxes, plus other fees and crap, so please don't compare some NR hunter coming in for few days to hammer our resources as an equal in "what they bring in"
I don't go for the NR spending angle either really.

However, all those taxes you mention really don't go to funding conservation and or wmas or what not

Most of that money is made up from license sales where NR generally pay a lot more, but some states are real cheap there too

I've never hunted Ga and probably never will. However 12 deer?? Is that correct and not a typo? Jesus

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sixes on February 26, 2023, 11:00:22 PM

The comment I first posted on sounded like that is what you were saying. Now you may pay that much but there are others that do not pay that much if anything that are residents. By the way, I added more data above, you may want to read it, or not but I wanted to let you know that I did. My major complaint was it came off to me like you were saying that you wanted residents to have more tags than none residents in the name of conservation, when if you truly wanted to conserve all should take the same amount. That was my major complaint. If I misread then I do apologize. I will not debate this any more tonight, my hands are beginning to hurt to much, I am misspelling things and my comments are beginning to babble. You have a good night guy.

John Koenig:

Sixes

"
[/quote]
I don't go for the NR spending angle either really.

However, all those taxes you mention really don't go to funding conservation and or wmas or what not

Most of that money is made up from license sales where NR generally pay a lot more, but some states are real cheap there too

I've never hunted Ga and probably never will. However 12 deer?? Is that correct and not a typo? Jesus

[/quote]

Less than 25% of DNR budget is from license fees. The rest is PR fees, state taxes, fed taxes and donations.

No typo. 2 bucks and 10 does, 2 bears and 2 gobblers (used to be 3), unlimited hogs. Plus, the license are for a 365 day period instead of seasonal which is dumb and could easily be abused.

WV Flopper

Just for thought....South Florida has tomatoes hanging on a plant before I have put a plant in the ground.

In Florida to help the resources the best I think you can, lobby to make one state start time. Obviously it would be the later and align with the north.

I personally think this would help a little, but not much. It will turn your remaining non quota hunt areas into quota hunt areas real quick. In 3 years all of the public areas would be quota only.

And, not all of your Non Res hunters are sleeping in their truck or tent. Lots of us old guys like a bed, shower, AC, set down dinner. And maybe we pay money into Pittman Robertson in our home state that goes to others as well.

Public, is public.