OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

State season alignment opinions

Started by sasquatch1, February 24, 2023, 11:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Spurs Up on February 25, 2023, 11:27:38 AM
Hawaii opens on Tuesday.
Wednesday. Don't need anyone getting a head start. From what I hear it's going to be a non resident royal rumble on opening week.

sasquatch1

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on February 25, 2023, 11:32:20 AM
Hawaii opens on Tuesday.
Wednesday. Don't need anyone getting a head start. From what I hear it's going to be a non resident royal rumble on opening week.
Think they all moved on to Hawaii vs south Florida? Lol

And, do you think they all targeting a white turkey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deerhunt1988

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 25, 2023, 11:38:19 AM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on February 25, 2023, 11:32:20 AM
Hawaii opens on Tuesday.
Think they all moved on to Hawaii vs south Florida? Lol

Considering south FL once again lost more public land opportunity after the area was pimped out, possibly so!

arkrem870

Hawaii is absolute glaring proof of what's happening. It went from a chill place to hunt that was very much under the radar to a nut show.  All because you need to be entertained
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

silvestris

We should be honest with ourselves.  The problem is PEOPLE, too many desiring a part of a limited resource.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Spurs Up

Back to Squatch's original post, what's the fix now that things are so messed up?  Is it a universal season and, if so, when?  How about no opening date?  Anywhere.

Old Gobbler

Florida's turkey program is so woefully divorced from reality ...that by the time they realize how bad the situation is it will be way too late to correct it

The south zone opened a week before the rest of the state ..then they moved it up to 2 weeks ...all of the states turkey hunters plus the out of staters zero right in on it

They have made several moves that I would consider useless , they need to immediately stop the practice of shooting jakes and bearded hens  , and stop shooting hens in the fall even on private property ...the real Osceola is the next carrier pigeon ...it's gonna get shot into extinction

I would do that first ..then see if the harvest goes back to normal
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

arkrem870

And florida.....omg. Imagine being an older resident hunter there.  Was crowded before it got pimped. Now the genie is out of the bottle. Enjoy your entertainment
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

roberthyman14

Florida can't manage wildlife or fish.  All the worry about managing is the money coming in.  Before long the outfitters will get to start earlier then everyone else.  Then it'll be 1 bird per vehicle unless you have a special license.  All about money here.  Heck I won't be surprised if they open the south end of the state to non residents only for the 1st 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 25, 2023, 12:02:08 PM
Hawaii is absolute glaring proof of what's happening. It went from a chill place to hunt that was very much under the radar to a nut show. 

Glad I got my Hawaii jones out of the way several years ago.  It was pretty obvious at that time that things were going to get ugly there eventually with the limited public hunting opportunity that exists there.

Spurs Up

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 25, 2023, 12:18:46 PM
Florida's turkey program is so woefully divorced from reality ...that by the time they realize how bad the situation is it will be way too late to correct it

The south zone opened a week before the rest of the state ..then they moved it up to 2 weeks ...all of the states turkey hunters plus the out of staters zero right in on it

They have made several moves that I would consider useless , they need to immediately stop the practice of shooting jakes and bearded hens  , and stop shooting hens in the fall even on private property ...the real Osceola is the next carrier pigeon ...it's gonna get shot into extinction

I would do that first ..then see if the harvest goes back to normal

Good suggestions. If they don't see the value in aligning within the same state, it's hard to imagine them doing it on a wider scale.

sasquatch1

I also wouldn't mind seeing a drastic increase in the price of wma stamps

Let's be honest, what it cost to be able to hunt essentially millions of acres is theft.

$100 minimum is still a steal in my eyes. Maybe then more Public lands could be held onto or purchased along with better habitat management

States with draws at least could charge to apply for draw hunts.

Hook hanger

Quote from: silvestris on February 25, 2023, 12:14:43 PM
We should be honest with ourselves.  The problem is PEOPLE, too many desiring a part of a limited resource.

I believe that this is the TRUTH!!!!

Howieg

Quote from: Hook hanger on February 25, 2023, 04:57:36 PM
Quote from: silvestris on February 25, 2023, 12:14:43 PM

I believe that this is the TRUTH!!!!
We have spilt our milk for sure ,,, and not just a small glass ,,, the whole gallon !!!

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."