turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

State season alignment opinions

Started by sasquatch1, February 24, 2023, 11:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasquatch1

How would y'all feel if states worked together and started their seasons at the same time?

Such as break the country up into 4 sections. Or maybe even two.

NW, NE, SE, SW and each quadrant opened on same day.

Or the same if split in two. Just the north and south.

I'm sure this won't ever happen, however if it did I think it would take a huge strain off of certain areas with many people targeting opening days/weeks.

Hell, with such reduced pressure maybe some seasons could even run longer opening up opportunities.

What's yalls take? Just something to talk about.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mcw3734

I don't think its that radical an idea, I know I've wondered it and so I'm sure others have as well. Maybe not nationally into 4, but some coordination with the goal of eliminating pressure caused by a traveling 'Opening Day' crowd.

Here in Idaho, as in many states out West, we have A LOT of hunting units and regs can vary quite a bit. For the most part, opening day of rifle deer is Oct. 10 statewide. I was told that wasn't always the case, but was made so to avoid just what you're talking about: Folks were traveling the state hunting 2 or 3 "opening days" and so Fish & Game put an end to it by matching the dates.

Hook hanger

If you really want to take pressure off of birds then make south states a 14 day season and north states 14 days also with a 7 day overlap. One bird per week.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Hook hanger on February 25, 2023, 02:44:02 AM
If you really want to take pressure off of birds then make south states a 14 day season and north states 14 days also with a 7 day overlap. One bird per week.
True but feel that may be on the total opposite far end of the spectrum.

Got to be better ways to do things while also maintaining a decent amount of opportunities.

TonyTurk

Maybe if each state limited the first 7 to 10 days of the season to residents only?

All of these ideas would require a level of coordination and cooperation among the states.  Sort of like "nationalizing" the regulations.  I'm not sure I would like that.  I'm a fan of states rights in most cases and letting each state decide for themselves what is best.

I hate to see the loss of opportunity, because once it's lost you typically never get it back.  I am not a big "traveling" hunter, I hunt the same 2 states every year.  But when I retire I might hunt more states and would like to have more opportunities, not less.  Just my thoughts.

HookedonHooks

I feel like this is already taking place with southern states season delays to curb nonresidents even if it's unintentional, and not in exact alignment, they're close enough to slow folks down rather than just opening in a perfect stagger from north to south.

Of the 15 States I have on my radar to hunt this year, 9 of them open within a 7 day timeframe in mid-April and they're very geographically diverse not just one cluster of the Midwest/West.

Dtrkyman

What if I were hunting national forest, should that be resident only for the opener too?  I really do not pay much attention to what states are doing, just make sure I have my tag/tags and season is open when i get there!

Not hunting the opener too often when I travel.  And actually avoid it a lot of the time.

GobbleNut

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 24, 2023, 11:53:14 PM
How would y'all feel if states worked together and started their seasons at the same time?
Such as break the country up into 4 sections. Or maybe even two.
NW, NE, SE, SW and each quadrant opened on same day.
Or the same if split in two. Just the north and south.
I'm sure this won't ever happen, however if it did I think it would take a huge strain off of certain areas with many people targeting opening days/weeks.
Hell, with such reduced pressure maybe some seasons could even run longer opening up opportunities.
What's yalls take? Just something to talk about.

I think it's a great idea,...especially since I made this exact proposal a couple of years ago...  ;D :D ...when everybody was complaining that Mississippi was getting hammered by nonresidents because they started their season before other states in the southeast.  Establishing uniform starting dates, with latitudinal adjustments between the more southerly and northerly states, would solve a lot of the perceived problems with traveling hunters trying to hit the openers of the various states.   :icon_thumright:

arkrem870

Oh isnt it fun losing hunting opportunity .........to think how it was 10 years ago to now for the traveling hunter. What changed?
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

sixbird

Quote from: TonyTurk on February 25, 2023, 06:51:49 AM
Maybe if each state limited the first 7 to 10 days of the season to residents only?

All of these ideas would require a level of coordination and cooperation among the states.  Sort of like "nationalizing" the regulations.  I'm not sure I would like that.  I'm a fan of states rights in most cases and letting each state decide for themselves what is best.

I hate to see the loss of opportunity, because once it's lost you typically never get it back.  I am not a big "traveling" hunter, I hunt the same 2 states every year.  But when I retire I might hunt more states and would like to have more opportunities, not less.  Just my thoughts.
I'm with you Tony!
Let individual states determine their own affairs. There's already too much big government and individual states know their own issues and needs.
And yes, once you give up the reins, you'll never get them back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch1

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 25, 2023, 09:22:13 AM
Oh isnt it fun losing hunting opportunity .........to think how it was 10 years ago to now for the traveling hunter. What changed?
It don't really cause any loss of opportunity. Arguments could be made where it could even extend opportunities if this could allow more days to the season.

Or this could maybe eliminate the need for draws like Mississippi, or the public/private differences in season dates like alabama, and maybe lighten up on florida being almost all draw hunts on public.

As the pressure evens out across the board there should be less need to be so restrictive at times.

Greg Massey

I don't see this ever happening, way too much political involvement with these government agencies for this to ever happen. It's all about showing me the money we can generate from sales in each state. It has very little to do with the good of the turkeys. IMO.... It's been going on for years and it will continue.... IMO.... All geographical areas of the country have a difference in the start up of spring and of course this plays a part in the opening of the seasons... Some of these states take pride in being the first one to open for the spring turkey season...

arkrem870

Considering I could hunt alabama or mississippi starting March 15. Then on to Oklahoma and so on. Now I can't hunt any of them til April .......we have given all this up so people can be entertained. Complete bull sh
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

sasquatch1

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 25, 2023, 11:23:20 AM
Considering I could hunt alabama or mississippi starting March 15. Then on to Oklahoma and so on. Now I can't hunt any of them til April .......we have given all this up so people can be entertained. Complete bull sh
Anyone said anything about April?

And if the total season lengths are the same as now, that isn't a loss of opportunity

Oklahoma would also fall in a different area than the SE I would think

I'm not quite sure what you are alluding to with "we have given all this up so people can be entertained"

I am assuming the restrictions put in most recently with a lot of blame going to social media. I am suggesting a way to hopefully let up on some of those restrictions by removing some of the narrowed down stress on the resource

Spurs Up

Kids are hunting in Florida today. Hawaii opens on Tuesday. Maine won't close until June 3, over 3 months from now. For grins, throw out some dates changes for posters to consider.