OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Portable power station

Started by Paulmyr, February 24, 2023, 07:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Any body use a portable power station? I do a lot of long and weekend trips where i sleep in my suburban. Im looking to get a power station for charging cell phones and possibly run a boot dryer. Pretty sure my last truck battery had its life shortened from all the charging it did while not running. Any thoughts?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

sasquatch1

I recently got a rock power 600 for this type of use plus some like a 12v shower pump.

Seems to work fine and have a ton of power for this type of use. Haven't had it very long though.

One issue that could come up is leaving it in a vehicle that might overheat in the sun though so hve to work around that somehow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LakeBilly440

Interested in this as well... I was almost sold on jackery with solar panels but after researching a bit I found out that the life expectancy is only approx 3 years due to the type of battery they use?   If I'm paying over 1,000 I'd like to get a little more use.

I hope I'm wrong because other than life expectancy it checks all of my boxes. I may have to settle for the quietest gas generator I can afford.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

wyetterp

I've had & been using a Baldr 330w & a Rockpals 100w foldable solar panel that can charge it. The solar panel also stores a little energy. Enough to charge a phone if you can't get any sun.

The Baldr has a lot of good features like cordless phone charger, & multiple types of plug methods.

I did a bunch of research when I ordered it & seemed like the best bang for the buck & outperformed a lot of the more expensive one's. I'm sure since then they've updated the products. But, overall I am still very happy with the combo & use them often. I'm also not one to baby anything. I'm rough on everything I own. If it's not durable I won't even look at it.

Just looked & I bought it in June 2020 & started using it pretty heavy ever since with no issues. I live in a humid, salty environment also. It's gotten rained on several times to boot.

Oh yeah, I just ordered everything from amazon also.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Teamblue

This works for us on most things. I have many batteries for it in my line of work. Other manufacturers may have something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I guess I am not charging as much as you?  My battery was 8 years old when I replaced it in my jeep and was technically still good.

Get a portable jumo starter, you can charge stuff and jump your rig in a bind.

bpsmag1026

I use a portable jump starter from a company named powerall. We have a camp that doesn't have electricity and it will keep a cellphone charged for 3 or 4 days without any trouble.

sasquatch1

Big sale going on at rock oaks currently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Paulmyr

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 25, 2023, 08:22:10 AM
I guess I am not charging as much as you?  My battery was 8 years old when I replaced it in my jeep and was technically still good.

Get a portable jumo starter, you can charge stuff and jump your rig in a bind.

That's kinda what I'm looking at with an air compressor. My last battery lasted one month out of warranty and auto zone wouldn't replace it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Swampchickin234

I have a CAT brand 3 in one station I keep in my truck.  Can't tell you about longevity, because I've not had it for years , but so far I have absolutely loved it.  Believe around 120$ has a built in compressor jump pack and plenty of usb outlets. 

tracker#1

I'm using the Jackery 1000 with 200-watt solar panels, just purchased a couple of months ago. Testing so far has been excellent. Running a Bouger freezer/fridge and a few small accessories. Guess I'll find out in 3 years if it was worth the $$$...

Paulmyr

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on February 26, 2023, 09:05:56 AM
I have a CAT brand 3 in one station I keep in my truck.  Can't tell you about longevity, because I've not had it for years , but so far I have absolutely loved it.  Believe around 120$ has a built in compressor jump pack and plenty of usb outlets. 

Do you think it can handle a couple sessions with a boot dryer?

Sir-diealot

I am trying to get back into camping and need one that will run my CPAP machine and a small fan. Following.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Swampchickin234

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 26, 2023, 01:48:53 PM
Quote from: Swampchickin234 on February 26, 2023, 09:05:56 AM

Do you think it can handle a couple sessions with a boot dryer?
It could surprise me and not, but I would think so

Old Gobbler

I have a jackery we use to power my wife's computers and cells when we go to her trade shows ..it works very well ...when we go to trade shows the places charge hundreds of dollars for power , so the cost of the jackery paid for itself on the first usage

Boot dryers , microwaves etc...draw to much current and won't work with it ...for a boot dryers ,I would rig up a pipe or duct system to your cars heating vents ..
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon