News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot calls

Started by TrackeySauresRex, February 24, 2023, 05:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

Hello All,
  I'm kicking around of possibly getting a new pot. I'm just looking for a different tone added to the arsenal.  I do have some custom pots. Glass, slate, ceramic I love and some OTC go to's as well. I really never played an aluminum or copper pot. A buddy I hunt with from time to time has an OTC Aluminum pot that rings out nice and he plays it well. The birds seem to like it. I'm looking for some ideas (pros,cons) to what you may think plays best out of them. I'm curious to know if the playing surface is similar as I've never heard a copper pot play outside. I'll be listening to some sound files and recommendations from my OG peeps.

Thank You All
B-Well
Johnny
:turkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Big Jeremy

I recently got a Lonzo aluminum in an acrylic pot (thabks, [mention]Tom007 [/mention]!) . It sounds great! Also have a Matt Van Cise aluminum that sounds really good. As far as copper, I've found nothing as good as a Mike Yingling pot. His fiber striker is good, too. I love my Yingling copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

There is a whole pot call area. I like Schafers Aluminum really good. Aluminum is not just aluminum mind you. Many different types. Bead blasted i just run and occasionally clean. Anondized I either scotchbrite or lightly sandpaper an area like a glass/crystal call.. I like those two types best personally  Be advised this will kill a resale value but it'll be more consistent. The one anondized I never seem to need doing this too is a Dawkins. Than there is stoned aluminum. As you run that call often the raised edges go flat. I condition that area eventually and have two separate sounding calls as one is basically raw aluminum. Than of course all raw aluminum which lots of otc calls are. You'll see a giant difference if you get a good custom aluminum call over an otc. It'll run better and easier. Btw I condition ceramic the same way.

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

aclawrence

I have a stoned aluminum from Buster that sounds great. It's a two sider with a little slate on the back.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: M,Yingling on February 25, 2023, 11:05:40 AM
copper outside 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1bFTkz4pKg

I watched that clip Mr. Mike and you sound just like an old raspy hen!

Johnny - if you are looking for another pot to add more versatility to your bag, I would vote for you to check out Mike Yingling's copper pot. I personally like the two sider that he makes so you can flip it over for close stuff, but the top will sound pretty much like the video he posted above. And, I can almost bet you that Mr. Mike will sell you his pot at a better price than you might expect. He is fair on his prices and easy to deal with in the process.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

G-dub

Get a Yingling copper, you won't be disappointed.  I will add that Wendell Rye makes a nice stainless call as well. 

BDeal

The Yingling copper is the next call on my list. I bought a grunt call from Mike this fall and it is absolutely fantastic. I don't even use a grunt call that often but called two different bucks into bow range with this call.

Palmetto Pirate

I use Mikes copper Slate, aluminum and crystal over slate. Hunting in Florida moisture is always a battle his strikers always works no matter how foggy or wet it is. I don't use any other pot calls.
My beard is grey and my spurs short and I roost on the ground but I still gobble in the Spring!

Notsoyoungturk

x2 on Wendell Rye at Lights Out Calls.  I continue to hear great things about Yingling on the forum and from friends.  Will be looking into one soon.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

HILBY72

MAC Calls  Aluminum over Glass in a Bubinga pot

chbarnha

Quote from: BDeal on February 27, 2023, 10:48:25 AM
The Yingling copper is the next call on my list. I bought a grunt call from Mike this fall and it is absolutely fantastic. I don't even use a grunt call that often but called two different bucks into bow range with this call.
I got my dad one of mikes grunts for Father's Day last year... kicked myself for not getting me one. But dads led to the demise of a 21" wide 8 pointer with the bow so I would say it was money well spent! I want to get one of mikes coppers as well.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Iaguntrader

BDeal

I just ordered the Yingling copper/slate. Looking forward to playing it.

Turkeybutt

I have one of Mike's copper calls on the way. Should get it tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to try it.