OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ms. draws

Started by 3bailey3, February 24, 2023, 01:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

Quote from: harleytom on February 26, 2023, 04:09:21 PM
Quote from: fmf on February 26, 2023, 03:41:37 PM
Quote from: Shiloh on February 26, 2023, 08:38:01 AM
I would argue that MS has some of the best wild Turkey management in the nation.  Also, I would advise anyone that wants to push seasons back to look at information coming from states that jumped on the bandwagon and did just that.  It doesn't look like it has been a game changer at all.  You can start with Arkansas and go from there.  I am thankful that our leadership has take a step back before making rash decisions based on emotion.

Ms needs to push it back not because of breeding, but just to not be one of the earliest states to open
Or just make first 2 weeks resident only hunting if that is the true goal, not the "dominant gobbler" hypothesis being spun currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At the very least, cap non-residents to no more than 2-3 draw applications. And even cap residents to no more than 4-5. Also, as mentioned, a true point system would be nice too. But I am TOTALLY against pushing back the opener.

Jbird22

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 26, 2023, 02:53:26 PM
I am old enough to remember what it was like before the draws, a ZOO!! I know no one but I have been drawn every year I have put in except one year. The place I really like has a huge block of NF land right across a highway that's not in part of the draws.
I remember that as well. It seemed like WMAs in your area had more vehicles from Ark than MS. Strangely enough, that was before social media and Youtube were things.

3bailey3

Jbird there were a lot of lose lips on the ole Ms site, not the Bull but the MDWF site..

sasquatch1

Quote from: Jbird22 on February 26, 2023, 07:30:14 PM
Quote from: harleytom on February 26, 2023, 04:09:21 PM
Quote from: fmf on February 26, 2023, 03:41:37 PM
Quote from: Shiloh on February 26, 2023, 08:38:01 AM
I would argue that MS has some of the best wild Turkey management in the nation.  Also, I would advise anyone that wants to push seasons back to look at information coming from states that jumped on the bandwagon and did just that.  It doesn't look like it has been a game changer at all.  You can start with Arkansas and go from there.  I am thankful that our leadership has take a step back before making rash decisions based on emotion.

Ms needs to push it back not because of breeding, but just to not be one of the earliest states to open
Or just make first 2 weeks resident only hunting if that is the true goal, not the "dominant gobbler" hypothesis being spun currently.

At the very least, cap non-residents to no more than 2-3 draw applications. And even cap residents to no more than 4-5. Also, as mentioned, a true point system would be nice too. But I am TOTALLY against pushing back the opener.
And charge us, earmark the money for the wild turkey and wmas!!!

I am. Non resident, always hunted MS. I'd be glad to help fund habitat improvements!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro loop

Jbird22

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 26, 2023, 07:54:48 PM
Jbird there were a lot of lose lips on the ole Ms site, not the Bull but the MDWF site..
Yes indeed and plenty of locals around me with loose lips as well. Then along comes Facebook and the hero pic craze next to WMA signs. That ship had sailed long before YouTube, regardless to what some would like you to believe.

arkrem870

It was crowded before no doubt. But nothing like the last three / four years in the areas I frequent.  Also you can see a sharp rise in non resident license sales data.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Howieg

The draw had zero affect on pressure , 
I drive though a main highway that runs though a

big section of government timber almost daily .
  Just as many trucks , " maybe more " then ever .
Several of my spots that where once areas you could get away from the main crowd , have been hammered with foot traffic in the last 5 years .
  Any of you sportsman that still believe , social media / you tube and general loose lips don't sink ships ???
Well,,, wake up

squeaky

I don't have a dog in the fight in regard to MS. It being my neighboring state that I have never hunted. I can most certainly understand how some of feel that have posted. Being from Alabama and out DNR leadership buying into the Chamberlain hogwash has cost many of us hunting opportunity in our home state. Living in the most one of far southern counties, the late opener greatly reduces the quality of the hunting experience. The additional time added in May is a joke for us in the lower part of the state. Our birds are for the most part done by the middle of April. I have had birds on camera for past month in their spring flocks strutting and gobbling for hens. I wish Alabama would divide the state into two zones and open our season on the 15th and close the end of April or at minimum revert back to season dates we had for a very long time in the south March 20th - April 25th.

Shiloh

Do y'all think that most of the influx is out of staters or home boys?

harleytom

Quote from: squeaky on February 27, 2023, 09:50:06 AM
I don't have a dog in the fight in regard to MS. It being my neighboring state that I have never hunted. I can most certainly understand how some of feel that have posted. Being from Alabama and out DNR leadership buying into the Chamberlain hogwash has cost many of us hunting opportunity in our home state. Living in the most one of far southern counties, the late opener greatly reduces the quality of the hunting experience. The additional time added in May is a joke for us in the lower part of the state. Our birds are for the most part done by the middle of April. I have had birds on camera for past month in their spring flocks strutting and gobbling for hens. I wish Alabama would divide the state into two zones and open our season on the 15th and close the end of April or at minimum revert back to season dates we had for a very long time in the south March 20th - April 25th.
Alabama is divided in zones now, NW Bama opens April 1 now, but you are right that more zones are probably needed. The problem might be N Bama hunters flooding south each year to get an extra week or so of the season. I don't know of a practical way to fix that.

Howieg

Quote from: Shiloh on February 27, 2023, 12:09:13 PM
I'd call it about 50 /50 honestly

Shiloh

I thought that's what most might think Howie, but I was told this morning that the overwhelming majority was homeboys.  I was honestly a little surprised by that. 

sasquatch1

I'm a Ms hunter as a Non resident

And the last few years there was definitely a huge increase in resident pressure

Yea there's plenty non residents but, most vehicles at gates when I'd pull in have been residents and it wasn't always like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

silvestris

It really doesn't matter, too many PEOPLE is too many PEOPLE.  And as a hunter and a nation, we have too many PEOPLE. 
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

sasquatch1

Quote from: silvestris on February 27, 2023, 04:23:03 PM

It really doesn't matter, too many PEOPLE is too many PEOPLE.  And as a hunter and a nation, we have too many PEOPLE.
Please don't tell that to the libs that get up in their feelings. We should always want more people and more babies! Humans unlimited

One day we can all live off tofu and live in high rises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro