turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ms. draws

Started by 3bailey3, February 24, 2023, 01:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howieg

Well ,,,,, let's all watch you tube and sing kumbaya !!!
I reckon I'm thank full that I have a lil private ground to hunt .
Lots of folks don't and depend on public only ...

Cottonmouth

Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on February 25, 2023, 12:49:11 PM
I haven't drawn the last 3 years. My brother hasn't either. I've only been drawn once in the last 5 years. Don't get me started on the gator hunt! It's all about the money and who you know.
You're dead on with the gator draw. I know people that draw out every year. I drew out the very first year. Never since.

Jbird22

The record # of applications is a direct result of MS being the first state that opens for Easterns. You might want to blame bordering states for FOOLISHLY pushing back their start dates or our OWN GREEDY A$$ state for such a terrible draw system. There should be a cap on the number of applications per person, both res and non-res.

slave601

To be honest Mississippi is being greedy money wise and not caring about its Turkey populations being in a slump. It's rebounding from years previous but it's still not anywhere where it once was. It'll be too late too soon in my opinion. Bump the starting date back at least a week or two and mandatory tagging. If not that at least change something up. On a bright note I did draw a few local wma's
"thinnin the flock"

Shiloh

I would argue that MS has some of the best wild Turkey management in the nation.  Also, I would advise anyone that wants to push seasons back to look at information coming from states that jumped on the bandwagon and did just that.  It doesn't look like it has been a game changer at all.  You can start with Arkansas and go from there.  I am thankful that our leadership has take a step back before making rash decisions based on emotion. 

arkrem870

I think Mississippi is doing a good job as well. Adhesive tags/ one use tags that are mailed out would give limits / enforcement some teeth. Other than that they are trying to protect their residents with the non resident draw without reducing opportunity/ early opener. Also banning filming on public land is very very smart and they have signs everywhere on that.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

slave601

The need for tags (sticky one time use) is desperately needed. It would slow some things down in my opinion
"thinnin the flock"

strutstopper

I got drawn for my non res permit. This was the 1st time I had put in for it. TN being pushed back 2 weeks was the main reason I put in.

Turkeyfever

Mississippi seems to be protecting it's residents with the quota draw for non residents and keeping season as it has been for years with it's residents. Seems to me they are not buying the hype of the dominant gobbler theory.  Exactly where has pushing seasons back made a difference for any state? In TN the TWRA didn't even recommend the start of season being changed but the commission ( group of appointments) made the change anyway. What's funny is the preliminary results of the 5 year study going on in certain counties with a later starting date in TN showed that the delay didn't effect nesting success but rather predators were the main culprit,  You think? All the great hatches some of these states have had in the past and even this summer with their opening date were all based on predators, weather and habitat and in the future will be based on predators, weather and habitat. Until someone's come up with something with teeth to it that will be my opinion. Again I may be wrong but just a thought and opinion.

Jbird22

Quote from: Turkeyfever on February 26, 2023, 10:33:49 AM
Mississippi seems to be protecting it's residents with the quota draw for non residents and keeping season as it has been for years with it's residents. Seems to me they are not buying the hype of the dominant gobbler theory.  Exactly where has pushing seasons back made a difference for any state?
Protecting from a non-resident rush on WMAs? Yes. Protecting as in making sure there is equitable opportunity for residents to draw those WMAs? Not a chance! I'm 1-5 (4 yrs straight not drawn) the last 5 yrs on a certain WMA whereas a friend is 3-5 on the same one. I'm sure non-residents have drawn that particular WMA more times in 5 yrs than I have. Sorry, but that shouldn't happen in one's home state.

As for pushing back the opener, it absolutely DOES NOT need to happen!

Turkeyfever

Quote from: Jbird22 on February 26, 2023, 01:56:54 PM
Mississippi seems to be protecting it's residents with the quota draw for non residents and keeping season as it has been for years with it's residents. Seems to me they are not buying the hype of the dominant gobbler theory.  Exactly where has pushing seasons back made a difference for any state?
Protecting from a non-resident rush on WMAs? Yes. Protecting as in making sure there is equitable opportunity for residents to draw those WMAs? Not a chance! I'm 1-5 (4 yrs straight not drawn) the last 5 yrs on a certain WMA whereas a friend is 3-5 on the same one. I'm sure non-residents have drawn that particular WMA more times in 5 yrs than I have. Sorry, but that shouldn't happen in one's home state.

I was talking about the non resident draw for public land and the quota they have. I know nothing about your WMA draw system but it sounds like it needs a points system so each hunter gets a fair shot . If hunters are getting it two , three times while others have not drawn then all they need to do is a points system that gives you a point each year you do not draw and moving you up the ladder to be drawn next.

3bailey3

I am old enough to remember what it was like before the draws, a ZOO!! I know no one but I have been drawn every year I have put in except one year. The place I really like has a huge block of NF land right across a highway that's not in part of the draws.

Turkeyfever

Quote from: Jbird22 on February 26, 2023, 01:56:54 PM

I was talking about the non resident draw the first two weeks for public land and the quota they have for that. I know nothing about your WMA draw system but it sounds like it needs a points system so each hunter gets a fair shot . If hunters are getting it two , three times while others have not drawn then all they need to do is a points system that gives you a point each year you do not draw and moving you up the ladder to be drawn next.

fmf

Quote from: Shiloh on February 26, 2023, 08:38:01 AM
I would argue that MS has some of the best wild Turkey management in the nation.  Also, I would advise anyone that wants to push seasons back to look at information coming from states that jumped on the bandwagon and did just that.  It doesn't look like it has been a game changer at all.  You can start with Arkansas and go from there.  I am thankful that our leadership has take a step back before making rash decisions based on emotion.

Ms needs to push it back not because of breeding, but just to not be one of the earliest states to open

harleytom

Quote from: fmf on February 26, 2023, 03:41:37 PM
Quote from: Shiloh on February 26, 2023, 08:38:01 AM

Ms needs to push it back not because of breeding, but just to not be one of the earliest states to open
Or just make first 2 weeks resident only hunting if that is the true goal, not the "dominant gobbler" hypothesis being spun currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk