OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ms. draws

Started by 3bailey3, February 24, 2023, 01:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

Are in, I got one of the two I put in for.

MS TurkeyHunter

Got only 1 draw but i have never hunted there,  im pumped regardless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harleytom

Got my #1 choice after 3 years of applying

Jbird22

All I'm going to say is I'm 4-19 over the past 5 yrs in my HOME state. Good thing I've got the back 40 to hunt for a few weeks.

Howieg

I can't hunt my own back yard for lst 2,weeks .
Not a fan of the ms draw system!!

aclawrence

Quote from: Howieg on February 24, 2023, 11:22:15 PM
That sucks!

arkrem870

I struck out on a non res permit
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

fmf

Quote from: Jbird22 on February 24, 2023, 10:15:24 PM
All I'm going to say is I'm 4-19 over the past 5 yrs in my HOME state. Good thing I've got the back 40 to hunt for a few weeks.

You're doing far better than me.  I've put in every year since the draw hunts started, always on at least 2 wmas, and put in for every single hunt that is drawn on them and I've drawn 3 hunts total in all those years.  When did the lottery start, like 2010, 2011?  Something has to be off with it, nobody can be that unlucky.

silvestris

Quote from: Howieg on February 24, 2023, 11:22:15 PM

Not am I either.  But that is the result of people who couldn't keep their mouths shut about a good thing.  I so miss the days when there were deer hunters and there were turkey hunters and we foolishly thought that the twain would never meet.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I haven't drawn the last 3 years. My brother hasn't either. I've only been drawn once in the last 5 years. Don't get me started on the gator hunt! It's all about the money and who you know.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

arkrem870

I'm irritated I didn't draw Mississippi. I've hunted there for years and years and due to loose lips of people trying to monetize a public resource I can't now. That being said after what I saw the last few years after the genie was let out of the bottle.....I cant blame them a bit for the draw.  We will see more draws coming in the future. Newtons third law applies.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

sasquatch1

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 25, 2023, 01:04:18 PM
I'm irritated I didn't draw Mississippi. I've hunted there for years and years and due to loose lips of people trying to monetize a public resource I can't now. That being said after what I saw the last few years after the genie was let out of the bottle.....I cant blame them a bit for the draw.  We will see more draws coming in the future. Newtons third law applies.
While I drew, I dread the day I don't and know it's going to happen.

Pretty much only place I've ever hunted.

Will force me to go to another state first few weeks (as long as I can before it's limited) or to buy land.

It's hard to buy enough to hold turkey's consistently though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J-Shaped

Hearing of considerably fewer folks getting the public land voucher this year vs. last. Not sure if last year it was too new and those not paying attention weren't aware of it, an increase in apps this year, or a change in the draw process (or all of the above).

Speaking for the northern part of the state, I fully expect it to be a zoo with TN opening two weeks later than normal. Know several folks who never gave MS a second thought talking of hunting it for a full month before TN opens. Suspect that will drive more change in the coming years and less opportunity. Are we having fun yet? All hail the hashtags.........

sasquatch1

Quote from: J-Shaped on February 25, 2023, 01:19:44 PM
Hearing of considerably fewer folks getting the public land voucher this year vs. last. Not sure if last year it was too new and those not paying attention weren't aware of it, an increase in apps this year, or a change in the draw process (or all of the above).

Speaking for the northern part of the state, I fully expect it to be a zoo with TN opening two weeks later than normal. Know several folks who never gave MS a second thought talking of hunting it for a full month before TN opens. Suspect that will drive more change in the coming years and less opportunity. Are we having fun yet? All hail the hashtags.........
30-40% increase in apps

J-Shaped

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 25, 2023, 03:50:22 PM
Quote from: J-Shaped on February 25, 2023, 01:19:44 PM

30-40% increase in apps

Appreciate it. Kind of what I figured. Didn't seem to be much awareness last year unless you were a current customer or license holder.