turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Top Five Yelpers

Started by ChesterCopperpot, February 23, 2023, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Obviously this is going to be really subjective, but a comment I made on another post got me to thinking, who do you consider the top five yelper makers alive? I think most would mention Zach Farmer, Billy Buice, LF Cox (albeit a bit controversial), Kenny Pedelahore, and Mark Prudhomme. I personally wouldn't place KP or Mark in my top five, but Farmer would probably be there. I'm a bit specific in what I like but I'd go Ralph Permar in my top two or three and Charlie Trotter in the same boat. Guess my top five would go Ralph Permar, Charlie Trotter, Herb Hornstra, Zach Farmer, and Billy Buice. Honorable mentions goes to Steve Lumma and Austy Bott. My best of the new generation is hands down Anthony Ellis and he's top five for me if I eliminate all sentimentality from my decision making. Anyhow, who's in your top three or top five?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

I should probably specify trumpets instead of just yelpers because if we move into Jordans or wingbones or Roanokes specifically the lists get altered.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 23, 2023, 11:54:33 AM
Obviously this is going to be really subjective, but a comment I made on another post got me to thinking, who do you consider the top five yelper makers alive? I think most would mention Zach Farmer, Billy Buice, LF Cox (albeit a bit controversial), Kenny Pedelahore, and Mark Prudhomme. I personally wouldn't place KP or Mark in my top five, but Farmer would probably be there. I'm a bit specific in what I like but I'd go Ralph Permar in my top two or three and Charlie Trotter in the same boat. Guess my top five would go Ralph Permar, Charlie Trotter, Herb Hornstra, Zach Farmer, and Billy Buice. Honorable mentions goes to Steve Lumma and Austy Bott. My best of the new generation is hands down Anthony Ellis and he's top five for me if I eliminate all sentimentality from my decision making. Anyhow, who's in your top three or top five?

I don't have experience with a bunch of makers, but of the ones I've tried, I'm saying Kenneth Mullins, and Daryl Gosey, and hopefully will be saying Ralph Permar when I get mine in from him.   

paboxcall

No top 5 is complete without Hegler.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

afhunter1

I have a wide variety of callmaker's trumpets but I can't play any of them to their potential.  Ha Ha!!

Greg Massey

:popcorn: Good post ... I'm in the category / learning stage of these trumpets, but so far all the ones I've received from mostly trumpet builders have been very good.   Very unique in the different styles and play of these trumpets ...  But of the ones I have right NOW, Ralph's is outstanding with what little playing ability i have so far in learning to play... I'm still in my training pants ... LOL...

idratherb

troutfisher13111

I think trumpet makers come can be categorized in tiers. Once they make it to the top tier, it's all personal preference and style after that. I have my favorite, and a few others I like. But if I spent time with any top tier makers call, I don't think I'd be at any disadvantage with any one of them.

Yelper

I think the picture says it all. To me these are the easiest trumpets to draw with little air needed to get great yelps on and I have run a lot of other trumpets. Just my opinion.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Terry on February 23, 2023, 03:11:53 PM
I think trumpet makers come can be categorized in tiers. Once they make it to the top tier, it's all personal preference and style after that. I have my favorite, and a few others I like. But if I spent time with any top tier makers call, I don't think I'd be at any disadvantage with any one of them.
I definitely think this statement is very much the truth. I will play along though and name five makers that I do believe to belong in that top tier, but in no particular order from best to worst or even saying they are the definitive top 5 but they're all up there near the top no doubt. Billy Buice, Steve Lumma, Seth Hamon, Mark Prudhomme, last and certainly least has to be Cox.

Notsoyoungturk

Yelper, forgive me for being obtuse.   I am not really a yelper guy, though I am starting to get the bug.  Whose trumpets are in the picture?
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Yelper on February 23, 2023, 04:08:23 PM
I think the picture says it all. To me these are the easiest trumpets to draw with little air needed to get great yelps on and I have run a lot of other trumpets. Totally my own opinion.

Buddy, I'm with you. Of the calls that make it into the woods with me most often it's this old osage XT, a Permar delrin classic, and a satin micarta Trotter. Anthony's calls require the least air of any yelper I've ever run. Tuned perfectly and his finish is impeccable.

Yelper

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on February 23, 2023, 05:12:12 PM
Yelper, forgive me for being obtuse.   I am not really a yelper guy, though I am starting to get the bug.  Whose trumpets are in the picture?

AGE - Anthony Ellis

crow

If MKW was still making trumpets the world we're living in would be a better place.

There are a lot of good makers I haven't tried, which I'm sure I would like. some top favorites of makers I have played, in alphabetical order

Hornstra MKW Permar and Trotter

MossyOak92

Billy Buice, Bob Buckner, Mark Prudhomme would be my top 3. I think Mr. Buckners calls are way under the radar to most people. Beautiful calls and run amazing too.

I will never get to hunt a Zach farmer call although I did get the opportunity to run one and it ran amazing.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2022) using Tapatalk