turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rainy weather

Started by Notsoyoungturk, February 22, 2023, 10:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notsoyoungturk

For those days when it very rainy/wet outside, what is your go to call that is not a mouth call?  If it is a pot, what surface striker combination works best for you?
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Tail Feathers

Gotta go aluminum, glass, crystal, copper, etc.  A waterproof striker is a must for those situations.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Twowithone

What Tail Feathers said 100% :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

ScottTaulbee

Enticer calls wet wonder series pot calls. Any of them, he makes several glass and Corian pots and a slate in a Corian pot. All waterproof, you can hold them under a faucet and play them and never miss a beat. I use the factory wet strikers with them. One is  carbon tip and one is aluminum tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I always have a plan A, B, C, for hunting in rainy / cold weather. On these types of days depending on how hard it's raining i go to one of my backup plans, which is usually hunting out of a blind on the farm. I place 2 blinds in different areas of the farm every year just for these types of days including bad windy days and those extremely cold mornings. I usually still carry my calls that i hunt with during the season in my Glenda Green Satchel regardless the weather, now i will place the satchel inside a heavy duty garbage bag until i get to one of the blinds. This is all privite land hunting and i know the public has to have a different strategy / plan... if this is the case i wear rainsuit, have waterproof calls, that play in these type of conditions, but if it's really bad rainy stormy weather, i'm either waiting at the truck or will just hunt a better day...  I do not play lightning games with stormy weather ...

jhoward11

Good aluminum pot, water proof striker, comfy chair in the blind, phone, drink, snack, and then I'll probably fall asleep and miss the bird anyway.

Greg Massey

Quote from: jhoward11 on February 23, 2023, 10:46:17 AM
Good aluminum pot, water proof striker, comfy chair in the blind, phone, drink, snack, and then I'll probably fall asleep and miss the bird anyway.
Those kind of naps are some of the best in my opinion...  :TooFunny:

jhoward11

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 23, 2023, 11:08:29 AM
Quote from: jhoward11 on February 23, 2023, 10:46:17 AM
Those kind of naps are some of the best in my opinion...  :TooFunny:
OMG...those 10:00am can't hold my eyes open, birds aren't talking naps are the best. I agree. lol

Number17

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Brillo

I love rainy days on public because nobody bothers.  I favor: trumpet, copper pot, mouth calls not necessarily in that order.  Reason: that is all I have that work wet.

Tom007

Gas line/Power lines with mouth diaphragm and Old Gobbler pushpin in zip lock bag......
"Solo hunter"

SwampRooster17

Delrin trumpet and crystal caller in corian pot

silvestris

I don't hunt in the rain because I, like the turkeys, don't enjoy it.  For that reason, I have no waterproof callers.  When the rain stops, I go and frequently find the best hunting of all; just give them a little time to preen themselves and get pretty again.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Notsoyoungturk

I have to get my guns ready for the quick draw on Sunday. I think one of Shannon's push pins would be part of my go to wet weather group.  The calls last Sunday sold in under a minute. 
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

BDeal

Quote from: Brillo on February 23, 2023, 02:31:07 PM
I love rainy days on public because nobody bothers.  I favor: trumpet, copper pot, mouth calls not necessarily in that order.  Reason: that is all I have that work wet.

What copper pot and strike do you use?