OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey hunter Vs Turkey Killer?

Started by ScottTaulbee, February 18, 2023, 01:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeybutt

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on February 18, 2023, 09:18:32 PM
Hello,
My name is John and I'm a turkey hunter.
Hi John!

Hunter vs Killer
I see everybody here has a different perspective. 

It's my opinion that everybody here in the forum is a turkey hunter to some degree or another and yes, some are more consistent at harvesting a turkey then others. Maybe they put more time and effort into it than others or their woodsmen-ship or calling abilities are better. We all could be one of those more consistent hunters if we took the time to learn from your mistakes and maybe be willing to try something new.
I go turkey hunting to enjoy myself and the peace and tranquillity is offers me. If I happen to see or hear a turkey that's a treat and should I be fortunate enough to kill one that's a bonus!
I enjoy the solitude and keep to myself but I would extend an invitation and welcome somebody to come along anytime.
I don't need to let others know what I killed, where I killed it or what call I used. Should somebody be inquisitive enough to ask I might share that info with them.
I just do my own thing, I hunt turkeys.

Brillo

This is a good example of why english is a confusing language to learn.  Many definitions are very context and location driven.  Might be easier to learn to talk turkey?

Tom007

Good thread Scott. It really is an oxymoron, "Hunter vs. Killer". Obviously we all took up the sport to get out and enjoy the wilderness, and to try and outwit "harvest" a Wild Turkey. Each goes "hand-in-hand", you start out as a Turkey Hunter, and hope to become a Turkey Killer. It's the "ethics" employed in your journey that determines your level of respect and success......
"Solo hunter"

eggshell

Well, I find this as an interesting discussion, but I personally rarely ever think of it like this. I pretty much categorize everyone as hunters and among them there are only two groups; slobs and and respected hunters. Some choose to employ tactics others wouldn't but still play within the laws for the most part, (if you claim to never have bent or broken a rule excuse me for doubting that). When I wake up in the morning I am going turkey hunting and I am only hunting until I engage a bird I intend to kill, at that moment I am 100% a killer and that is my intent. I still obey the rules of engagement I have set, but make no mistake I am trying to kill him, period. When he whoops me or I kill him I revert to just a hunter and outdoorsman. At that point a bunch of wildflowers can distract me or any other interesting thing. I may just get tired and quit, but if I am on a bird there is no quit....he is either dead or I am whooped.

Cowboy

Quote from: Zobo on February 18, 2023, 07:03:22 PM
I always say, "It's about the journey, not the outcome."
Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Haypatch

Quote from: Sixes on February 18, 2023, 04:20:21 PM
A turkey hunter is one that obeys the rules and enjoys the hunt no matter the outcome.

A turkey killer is one that doesn't worry about limits or lines and the only objective is to kill a gobbler however it needs to happen.

That is my view on it.

I view it kind of the same way with deer hunters.

A deer hunter enjoys the surroundings and isn't concerned with killing a deer.

A deer killer is one that will get a touch obsessive and will drop the hammer with not much thought behind the actual hunt.

I consider myself a turkey hunter. I enjoy the hunt itself but can be happy without a kill for that day.

I walk the line with my deer hunting. I love being in the woods and in a treestand, but sometimes, I will get obsessed with a certain buck or just decide that I will kill a deer that day and I cross over to the deer killer side.

For me, playing the game is the successful part of turkey hunting and the hunt itself; and the kill is the successful part of deer hunting.

I'll pass up a hundred plus shot .opportunities to kill a deer every season, but I'm not passing up a longbeard.

I'm sure my comments made zero sense, but in my mind, that is the difference between hunters and killers. I know both kinds .

THIS ^^^^^^

richard black

I want to be known as a turkey hunter, not as a turkey killer. To me there is so much more to being a hunter than being a killer. I enjoy the entire experience, woodsmanship, the outdoors, honing skills, calling, etc. The actual kill is really anti climactic, everything leading up to it is exciting. I personally do not have to kill to be a hunter, and after decades of hunting I don't get the enjoyment of the kill anymore. Just to outsmart the majestic gobbler and get him in close is exciting, and of course the kill is also part of it, just not the big part.  Just my 2 cents on the subject. And everybody has a couple cents in their pocket!

Spitten and drummen

My outlook is a turkey hunter hunts and kills turkeys. A "Killer" is a turkey hunter who kills birds consistently. A turkey killer in my opinion limits out every year no matter the circumstances. He can also go anywhere in the country and kill a bird. I believe a slob turkey hunter can derive from a turkey killer and turkey hunter alike. Some turkey hunters get desperate after having a dry spell and the pressure makes them go to any extreme to kill a bird. The turkey killer is so use to killing them consistently , that when they hit a dry spell , the pressure to perform can make them go down the same path.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ChesterCopperpot

This is all semantics, but my personal differentiation would be that one operates within a framework of ethics and fair chase while the other operates from a belief of by any means necessary. I won't roost shoot. I won't fire at birds on the wing. I won't fire at birds on the run. I want to win the game, and plenty of days they just flat beat you. If that means not killing, so be it. I'll be back tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I don't agree, I see similarity in both and one deploys a different tactic in how they accomplish their goals. In my opinion one goes about it in more of a tactical way and the other goes about it relying on his calling ability with more confidence.      IMO

Paulmyr

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 20, 2023, 10:47:25 AM
I don't agree, I see similarity in both and one deploys a different tactic in how they accomplish their goals. In my opinion one goes about it in more of a tactical way and the other goes about it relying on his calling ability with more confidence.      IMO

Good point Greg. I would take that and expand it to every facet of turkey hunting. The turkey killer is better at reading the lay of the land and the critters in it. He moves through areas with far less disturbance. He's confidant in all aspects of his ability to successfully find and bring turkeys into gun range. He reacts to most situations almost as a reflex. There's no pondering whether to move on a bird or not, the turkey killer knows when to move, when to stay put, and when to shut up. He don't ponder these things. He reacts because it's ingrained in him.

Imo turkey killer is a level of skill that can be acquired by a turkey hunter, a slob hunter, and a poacher alike. Kinda like black belt in karate, Sensei, master, or what ever.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 18, 2023, 08:12:55 PM
Whenever I've heard the term turkey killer it always seemed to be in reference towards an excellent hunter. It never had negative connotations. I think slob hunter or poacher are more in line with what many here seem to equate to a turkey killer.

Well said Paul.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Spitten and drummen

Well I am a turkey hunter that kills turkeys consistently so I guess I be a turkey killer lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

mountainhunter1

[/quote]

Good point Greg. I would take that and expand it to every facet of turkey hunting. The turkey killer is better at reading the lay of the land and the critters in it. He moves through areas with far less disturbance. He's confidant in all aspects of his ability to successfully find and bring turkeys into gun range. He reacts to most situations almost as a reflex. There's no pondering whether to move on a bird or not, the turkey killer knows when to move, when to stay put, and when to shut up. He don't ponder these things. He reacts because it's ingrained in him.
[/quote]

Once again, well said. And yes, Paul is a turkey killer (in a good kind of way. :-)
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 20, 2023, 11:59:23 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 20, 2023, 10:47:25 AM

Imo turkey killer is a level of skill that can be acquired by a turkey hunter, a slob hunter, and a poacher alike. Kinda like black belt in karate, Sensei, master, or what ever.
That's what a "turkey killer" is around here. It seems like every body around here is a turkey hunter, but there's only 3 that I know personally in a 100 mile radius of where I live that I would consider a turkey killer. He's the guy that yelps like a hen, tone, pitch, cadence. The guy that you can drop off on a piece of land (wether it's 20 acres or 20,000 acres) in the dark with any type of call of your choice and a shotgun with a couple shells in it and he will show up with a turkey by dark more times than not. Regardless of weather, what phase of the season, etc. Consistently, year after year. His motions are fluid, quiet, and instinctual. He knows the turkeys and how they use terrain. He doesn't guess, he doesn't have second thoughts, he just does and more times than not, he's right in his choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk