OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey hunter Vs Turkey Killer?

Started by ScottTaulbee, February 18, 2023, 01:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I've heard it said the entire time that I've been in this sport that there is a difference between a turkey hunter and a turkey killer. The turkey killer being the guy that you can drop off anywhere, with about any call and he'll come back with a turkey time after time, year after year. The turkey hunter being your average joe that kills one now and then. In your opinion, is there a difference?. Where do you consider yourself?. How does a turkey hunter become a turkey killer?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

I think to be a turkey killer you are also a turkey hunter.   A turkey hunter may not be a consistent turkey killer, nothing wrong with that.   I'll add another to the list.  A turkey shooter.   A turkey shooter may or may not be a turkey hunter or killer.   Confusing ain't it?   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: guesswho on February 18, 2023, 02:17:59 PM
I think to be a turkey killer you are also a turkey hunter.   A turkey hunter may not be a consistent turkey killer, nothing wrong with that.   I'll add another to the list.  A turkey shooter.   A turkey shooter may or may not be a turkey hunter or killer.   Confusing ain't it?
Absolutely. I never really understood the whole thing myself. But I do know what a turkey shooter is, that's 90% of the guys I run in to with a tail fan in the back of their vest.

wyetterp

It really surprised me reading through SC DNR's turkey harvest reports. Starting a few years ago every turkey harvest has to be reported through the app or telecheck, so they should have pretty good data. It shows that only 2% of hunters get their bag limit of 3 birds.

2%!!!! I would have guessed closer to 25%. Makes me feel good to know I'm usually a 2%'r.

Good read even if you're not from SC. Lot's of good info.

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/turkey/2022TurkeyHarvest.html
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

GobbleNut

Oh boy, you are looking for trouble asking this group what the difference is.   ;D :angel9:
We'll see where this ends up...   ::)

To me, personally, there are multiple connotations that apply to each term,...and I will be willing to bet that there are folks here that will adamantly disagree with my definitions.  In the end, it is all a matter of personal perspective on what the terms mean to each of us.

First and foremost, I view anybody that goes afield, regardless of their experience or abilities, as a "turkey hunter" if they are fundamentally hunting with the best interest of the resource in mind as their first priority.  In addition, a "turkey hunter" has an ethical and moral foundation that is based on respect for the resource, the regulations established in pursuing it, the hunting public that he shares the pursuit of that resource with, and also the non-hunting public which forms it opinions on hunters based on how they behave and present themselves. 

On the other hand, a "turkey killer" may or may not fit into my definition of a "turkey hunter". To me, he may be acknowledged as a "turkey killer" only in the sense that he has enough experience, knowledge, and abilities that he is likely to kill more turkeys in any given situation than the average turkey hunter.  ...But unless he fits the definition outlined above as a "turkey hunter", that individual will receive, nor is deserving of, any respect or recognition in my mind. 

Unfortunately, again in my mind, a "turkey killer" also sometimes connotates a hunter with any level of experience whose attitude is centered around killing a turkey, possibly by whatever means is necessary, in order to satisfy their ego and meet the approval of their perceived audience.  Numbers of kills are often of paramount importance, regardless of the impacts on the resource, the methodology used to achieve those numbers, or how they impact other hunters.  They have little or no concerns about the elements listed in my definition of a "turkey hunter" outlined above. There will be those who praise these kinds of people based on the numbers of kills they have, but to me, these types,...often referred to by some as "turkey killers"...are the embarrassment and scourge of the hunting community.

In summary, nobody is a "turkey killer" unless they are a "turkey hunter" first.   :icon_thumright:

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: wyetterp on February 18, 2023, 02:58:50 PM
It really surprised me reading through SC DNR's turkey harvest reports. Starting a few years ago every turkey harvest has to be reported through the app or telecheck, so they should have pretty good data. It shows that only 2% of hunters get their bag limit of 3 birds.

2%!!!! I would have guessed closer to 25%. Makes me feel good to know I'm usually a 2%'r.

Good read even if you're not from SC. Lot's of good info.

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/turkey/2022TurkeyHarvest.html
We had a similar thing in KY. I don't remember exact numbers but it wasn't much that take their limit of 2 each year and I'm proud to say I've done it yearly

arkrem870

There was a time being considered a turkey killer might have been appealing to me.  I still give it all I've got to kill some turkeys each year but cringe when I hear the turkey killer vs Hunter conversations. Only a couple close friends would know when I kill one these days.  I just love to get out in the woods and hope to be in the game. Don't want the attention of a killer.

Greg Massey

I agree both have a similarity but the end goals are usually different in the way both go about hunting these gobblers. Methods and techniques are going to vary in how each pursues / chases his gobbler. One will take more patience's in his pursuit while the other will show less patience's in calling and apply more of a different tactic depending more on moving and circling and using more of the terrain in his pursuit of killing the gobbler. Really each style has the same goal of killing a gobbler with a different approach. AS a person ages i think his goals and approach do change in the way each pursues his gobbler... I've hunted with both and i like the lesser of the tactical type. With trying to call them closer to the gun barrel i just enjoy this type hunting more with a lot less pressure of I've got to kill him approach.. IMO

Sixes

A turkey hunter is one that obeys the rules and enjoys the hunt no matter the outcome.

A turkey killer is one that doesn't worry about limits or lines and the only objective is to kill a gobbler however it needs to happen.

That is my view on it.

I view it kind of the same way with deer hunters.

A deer hunter enjoys the surroundings and isn't concerned with killing a deer.

A deer killer is one that will get a touch obsessive and will drop the hammer with not much thought behind the actual hunt.

I consider myself a turkey hunter. I enjoy the hunt itself but can be happy without a kill for that day.

I walk the line with my deer hunting. I love being in the woods and in a treestand, but sometimes, I will get obsessed with a certain buck or just decide that I will kill a deer that day and I cross over to the deer killer side.

For me, playing the game is the successful part of turkey hunting and the hunt itself; and the kill is the successful part of deer hunting.

I'll pass up a hundred plus shot .opportunities to kill a deer every season, but I'm not passing up a longbeard.

I'm sure my comments made zero sense, but in my mind, that is the difference between hunters and killers. I know both kinds .

wyetterp

I remember years ago sitting & calling for a while. Had an old hen walk up right in front of me within 6ft. She stood there by my feet & made every call I made prior. She then started making her own calls real soft & easy. I started copying her. The first sequence I copied she looked at me & cocked her head just like a dog does listening. She stood right by my feet & began to give me a turkey talk tutorial. She would talk & I would try my best to mimic her. She would patiently stand there & approve by moving on to different sounds & volumes, or disapprove by doing it again & listening to me. This went on for close to 30 minutes. Finally she seemed to approve & slowly clucked & purred her way off, feeding & scratching along.

I didn't see or hear a single male bird that day & didn't kill anything. However, that experience alone was probably one of my all time favorite hunts. I put it up there above my very first kill.

I guess things like that, & nature in general, make me enjoy just being out there & hunting more than the kills. I'm addicted to the whispering pines for sure.

The bag limit is my lowest concern or priority.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yoder409

Quote from: Sixes on February 18, 2023, 04:20:21 PM
A turkey hunter is one that obeys the rules and enjoys the hunt no matter the outcome.

A turkey killer is one that doesn't worry about limits or lines and the only objective is to kill a gobbler however it needs to happen.

Our definitions are pretty much the same.

"Turkey hunters" can be guys that kill a lotta birds.  But, they do it for the satisfaction of the interaction and the thrill of the game.

"Turkey killers" are motivated by the peer pressure ( whether real or perceived) to perform.  To prove a point or uphold a reputation to someone other than themselves.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 18, 2023, 03:08:46 PM

First and foremost, I view anybody that goes afield, regardless of their experience or abilities, as a "turkey hunter" if they are fundamentally hunting with the best interest of the resource in mind as their first priority.  In addition, a "turkey hunter" has an ethical and moral foundation that is based on respect for the resource, the regulations established in pursuing it, the hunting public that he shares the pursuit of that resource with, and also the non-hunting public which forms it opinions on hunters based on how they behave and present themselves. 

This paragraph from GobbleNut sums it up for me. If everyone in the Turkey Hunting Community would fall into this category, the Turkey woods would be a whole lot better for sure! Well put....

"Solo hunter"

Zobo

I always say, "It's about the journey, not the outcome."
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Howieg

I'm having a identity crises ... because all my turkeys where killed while I was actually hunting them .:)

aclawrence

I think the lingo is getting a little tangled up. To some the term killer is automatically negative. I think we all agree on the same stuff we're just disagreeing on the terminology. I'd say that within the group of respectable turkey "hunters" there are some guys that just get it done more consistently. Maybe there better woodsman, callers, juts know the animal behavior better. I definitely think there are guys who fall into this category.  I'd say there just better "hunters" instead of "killers", especially seeing how "killers" can take on a more negative connotation. The people that do if for the gram, the social pat on the back, bend the rules, cross the lines, well they definitely exist to, and maybe we should just call them low down good for nothing pathetic turkey shooting losers!