OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting Journal

Started by PEPPERHEAD, February 18, 2023, 09:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEPPERHEAD

Just wondering if anyone keeps a journal of your hunts. I've always wanted to start. I'm looking for a journal with places for date, weather, notes, etc.

ScottTaulbee

I have never kept a journal but I have always kept the empty shell hull, the past few years I've put a feather in the hull and a short note about the date, time, what happened, etc and put it in the hull also. I'm writing a book for my kids with some hunting stories and what I've learned over the last 21 years I've hunted turkeys just in case anything ever happens to me and I don't get to pass that along to them in the woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

I do, have been since I started hunting. I log weather, harvest, and locations. I enjoy looking back at trends, especially weather conditions....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

I never have really seen the need to keep a journal of past hunts. I do keep most empty shells alone with my collection of beards and fans ...  I guess my memory is my old / new journal.  LOL... 

PalmettoRon

I've been doing this for over 35 years. It's helpful at times to go back and look at certain hunts regarding how long it took to get to a certain point and what time it was necessary to wake up to be in place. Some of those wake up times in AZ where Daylight Savings Time is not observed are ridiculous, same in Maine due to being so far Northeast

It's fun to read about folks I've hunted with, some of whom have gone on to that big gobbling place in the sky and relive hunts.

GobbleNut

The first ten years or so that I turkey hunted, I would write the stories of my hunts.  That was over forty years ago now, and I still have the notebooks that I wrote those stories in, although I rarely think about rereading them now.  I have often wished I had continued to write those stories over the decades, although the impetus is no longer there to start up again.

I would encourage everybody that has any initiative to write at all to start doing this.  From my own experience, memories of past hunts fade away, but having them written down gives you the chance to relive them in detail as the years fly by. 

Old Timer

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 18, 2023, 12:15:13 PM
The first ten years or so that I turkey hunted, I would write the stories of my hunts.  That was over forty years ago now, and I still have the notebooks that I wrote those stories in, although I rarely think about rereading them now.  I have often wished I had continued to write those stories over the decades, although the impetus is no longer there to start up again.

I would encourage everybody that has any initiative to write at all to start doing this.  From my own experience, memories of past hunts fade away, but having them written down gives you the chance to relive them in detail as the years fly by.
I have done the same. Still have the notebooks. I still write from time to time but not as diligent as in the past. I also encourage everyone to do this especially new hunters as it`s valuable information to use for your hunts. Also for the memories. Good day

Moore

I used to, but my Facebook page is like my journal for successful hunts for me now.
[

Dtrkyman

Never have, kind of wish I did thinking back about it now.  I just chat up old hunting buddies and the stories come out!

A friend of mine has a little hunting shack, they have a note book for everyone to jot something down from their hunts, pretty cool to read through at camp.

Cowboy

Did for a couple of seasons way back in the day.  30 years ago now. Wish I would have continued it. Found the journal awhile ago and reread the entries. Pretty cool to relive it.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Crotalus

I use one called The Hunters Journal

Got one for fishing from Gander Mountain a long time ago, found the full size and a mini hunting version on Amazon.

TurkeyReaper69

I tried for a season but got too frustrated reading back reliving all the gobblers I've missed or spooked.

Archivist13

Been hunting for 34 years and really regret not writing about my hunts. I would love to go back and read accounts of hunts that I have forgotten about or simply little details that have faded. I tell myself every year to just suck it up and write it down, but then I don't.

ddturkeyhunter

I used to write a little on each hunting in a note book. But stopped doing that when I started careing my cell phone for taking pictures. Thats when I started recording my hunt from the spot I shot my turkey from. Would show where I was sitting, and how the bird came to me and ever detail. The cool thing is you can still hear the excitement in my voice while telling the story. One hunt years back a friend and I roosted some birds on this one ridge. A favorite spot of ours, well I went in one way and he went in up the ridge further. I called in three toms after fly down and shot one. As I was sitting there recording how it just happened, my buddy old ten gage bangs and you can hear it plan as if he was sitting next to me. So cool, but now the only thing is if the cloud ever quits so does some of the memories.

Sir-diealot

I write down the events of the day, if anything happened on the drive there, if I smelled a skunk on the way in, what came in and anything that may have made it stand out. I want to write down calls used. I guess I should start to write down the weather. I have it all on one of those Write in the Rain pads and I fill it out every day at the end of hunting time.

I had a friend die, I talk about that in one of my entries, he sure could spin a yarn, love his story about picking up a skunk when he was really young. I do miss him.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."