OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite striker on each surface...

Started by Big Jeremy, February 16, 2023, 01:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jeremy

While reading through some of the other threads here, this thought came into my mind. I have so many "favorites", but I am going to try to list my single favorite striker for each call/surface.

Gray slate - JLH TSS Cedar/sinker bullet tree
Red slate - Fowler black locust
Green slate - JLH TSS Cedar/sinker bullet tree
Glass - JLH frogwood
Crystal - JLH snakewood
Ceramic - JLH bloodwood
aluminum - JLH frog wood/tulipwood
copper - JLH sinker sapodilla

I realize that no two pots are identical, even from the same maker. Thought it would be fun to see what other people liked to run the most on a particular call/surface. Might encourage me to practice more with different combos!

ScottTaulbee

I have a striker that I've had since the late 90's, I have no idea what wood type it is but that thing will run and sound good on any surface or brand of call I've ever put it to. I'll take a picture when I get home and maybe someone can identify the wood for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

My Clay Townsend Osage/Snakewood play real well on everything. I'll carry a spare, usually an Osage/Hickory Harold Fowler......
"Solo hunter"

aclawrence

Cool idea. I think a dymondwood or frogwood is a safe all around to keep in the vest. After that I just carry which ever striker I'm feeling good about. I've been keeping a JLH Tulipwood and varying other strikes.

Big Jeremy

I don't carry all of these calls or strikers with me each hunt. I usually carry 2-3 pots, sometimes 4, and I pretty much always carry 6 strikers. Which 6 depends on which pots I have. JLH heavy cedar and frogwood, and Fowler black locust will always be with me, though.

Zobo

For me it's Derrick Stuckey Rutland anything on just about everything
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

paboxcall

Hard to beat a JLH heavy cedar on any surface, particularly gray slate That, heavy bullfrog, and a striker I whittled from a piece of maple all I carry for glass and aluminum pots I might carry time to time.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

austinc

I have a stuckey mac ebony striker that plays everything great. I need to add some JLH strikers to my arsenal.

Ranman

JLH heavy hickory on multiple surfaces, or frogwood. I also use a Sneed hickory that I don't leave home without.

ChesterCopperpot

I think it's partly striker to surface, but I think it's equally striker to call. I had a Tom Teaser purpleheart that come in a set and I've had it forever and it's never run anything as well as other strikers. Picked up a Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen recently and this striker owns that call. That to say, I think it's always wise to run every striker you have on each new call. Sometimes it'll surprise you.

Big Jeremy

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 17, 2023, 10:01:18 AM
I think it's partly striker to surface, but I think it's equally striker to call. I had a Tom Teaser purpleheart that come in a set and I've had it forever and it's never run anything as well as other strikers. Picked up a Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen recently and this striker owns that call. That to say, I think it's always wise to run every striker you have on each new call. Sometimes it'll surprise you.

I definitely agree, and I do. If certain combos keep working for others, though, I may want to give it extra consideration if I don't already.

RH1

Katalox does it for me on a lot of surfaces.
Red Hills Turkey Calls

3bailey3

These all make the vest and will play on anything!

Tom007

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 18, 2023, 05:03:32 PM
These all make the vest and will play on anything!

Real nice collection.......
"Solo hunter"

310 gauge