OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Plenty Of Utube Traveling Public Turkey Groups Now.

Started by quavers59, February 14, 2023, 05:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runngun

And don't forget, Does your wife play tennis??? LOL if she don't,  DO NOT LET HER START!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Happy

I would start filming my hunts and trying to get paid for them, but I am currently really enjoying my job as a tennis instuctor.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SimanOhio

Quote from: POk3s on February 21, 2023, 04:20:54 PM
Year after year, thread after thread, it's the same argument. Do you guys ever get bored of it?

Before this thread gets locked, I suppose I have to add in my two sense like I do every year around this time.

Down to the very core, these arguments are hypocritical, just like most things in this world anymore. "It's okay to do things as long as you do it MY WAY" has been a disturbing increase in hunting for as long as I can remember.

I mean there are members who are on an INTERNET forum bashing technology and cutting down others. Saying it's all for likes and all for ego when those same people enter a contest on AN INTERNET forum that has no prizes, and you all get to post pics and tell your hunting stories. Is it all about ego!? Or is it all about sharing this addiction we all love? Are we seeing the hypocrisy in this now? If not, sell your modern shotgun, keep your turkey vest, binoculars, and calls at home, maybe send a smoke signal to your Amish neighbor down the street so he can give you a ride to your hunting spot and most of all, disable your account on this forum because none of us want to see all your bragging about that gobbler you shot and read your story! Things like that is what's ruining turkey hunting!!!! ;)

For the record, I'm "only" 31 years old but have had many a spots burned by the use of mobile mapping. I became a great map reader when I was younger just to find public land spots, and now that skill isn't needed. Now everyone knows. Those hidden gems aren't hidden and are marked off the list. I now have new spots...thanks to mapping, that I never knew about. Trade offs? Maybe. Does it suck? Sure does!

Now, I will pirely  speak for me. I have a YouTube channel. I can't stand the term "YouTuber". I can't stand many buzzwords anyone uses. Owasays. Turkey hunting draws the least amount of viewers as anything I put out, which in turn is the least a mount of money. I make $7-$10 per 1,000 views. I think you can use that math on about anybody's videos to find what they make. The vast majority aren't making a living, however I get between $100-$200 per month from YouTube. That's $100 I wouldn't have before. It's a tag in another state, it's 1-2 tanks of fuel to have fun, etc. but usually it's nothing more than another GoPro, or battery, or microphone because I screwed one up.

So, it's not about the money. It's because 20 years ago I was so disgusted about the depiction of what hunting was that I wanted to change it. Others do that a whole lot better than I do, but I'd like to think I'm helping to change that depiction of hunting and outdoor adventures for the better! I don't put any state names in my turkey videos and never will. I don't want to be blamed for bringing unneeded pressure to anyone's spot, and I sure as hell don't want them finding out about my spots! The only people that would know are people who have been there before and I hope if they stumble across the video they tip their cap and enjoy watching something that's entertaining and not trying to sell them anything. I simply want to share my adventures and hope people get some enjoyment out of that

Oh, and if I ever get in a position where I can quit my job and go hunting everyday...I'm going to!  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Oh, one last jab about being mad at those making money off of our natural resources, where should we start. Oil? Mines? Logging? Farmers? Ranchers? Banks? Gun companies? Ammo companies? Any company at all that relates to hunting and fishing? Cabelas? Basspro? Oh Banks! They really rake it in!

Hopefully I've made my point....
Damn bro. Hell of a post, refreshing to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Good post POk3s and most folks are of the live and let live variety.  I would like to know your channel to give it a peak.  I am 60 and I watch a couple of the youtubers sometimes.  It is entertainment, meant to entertain.  99.9% of turkey hunters are hunting for sport, not for support.  That is still just a form of entertainment. 

I do not like the spot naming or being obvious.  One of the Youtubers literally killed a bird about a mile from where I did and where I hunt regularly.  I knew instantly where they were.  The vast majority of folks would have no clue unless they have been there before. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

POk3s

Siman, sometimes you've just heard enough!  :mycross:

G8rvet, I'd hate to start advertising YouTube channels on this post  :TooFunny: . I'll message you!

tal

eggshell

One of the benefits of this forum is we all get to bitch some. It's good therapy to unload among like minded people. I appreciate your view POK3, but I will keep my hypocrite status and still refrain from subscribing to any turkey hunting channels. As for this forum, I think it's more like a local community where a little bragging among friends is accepted and with that a few disagreements. Come opening day we all put on the gear, grab the gun and go turkey hunting.

we're a long way from youtube. There are 17,000+ members here and from what I gather from the members list around 3,000 active. That's a grain of sand compared to youtube. After realizing that, I am even more grateful to Shannon for this site. I have made some good friends here and I consider them just as valued as those in my hometown.

when you talk about old skills like map reading and also getting spots burned, those of us here with all the gray hair can write you a book. At 31 your just starting to build that list. When your 65+ and been at this game for 50+ years it won't even matter about all those incidents anymore, because you got over it about 100 incidents into your hunting days. We still bitch about every one of them though just for therapy, so have at it my friend. 

Chordeiles

" I don't put any state names in my turkey videos and never will."

Good for you. This is the biggest problem I have with YouTube. Send me a link, I'll check it out.

POk3s

Quote from: eggshell on February 22, 2023, 06:49:05 AM
One of the benefits of this forum is we all get to bitch some. It's good therapy to unload among like minded people. I appreciate your view POK3, but I will keep my hypocrite status and still refrain from subscribing to any turkey hunting channels. As for this forum, I think it's more like a local community where a little bragging among friends is accepted and with that a few disagreements. Come opening day we all put on the gear, grab the gun and go turkey hunting.

we're a long way from youtube. There are 17,000+ members here and from what I gather from the members list around 3,000 active. That's a grain of sand compared to youtube. After realizing that, I am even more grateful to Shannon for this site. I have made some good friends here and I consider them just as valued as those in my hometown.

when you talk about old skills like map reading and also getting spots burned, those of us here with all the gray hair can write you a book. At 31 your just starting to build that list. When your 65+ and been at this game for 50+ years it won't even matter about all those incidents anymore, because you got over it about 100 incidents into your hunting days. We still bitch about every one of them though just for therapy, so have at it my friend.

And I understand all that. I don't want to show anybody my spots. I don't want to show anybody anybody else's spots. I just want to show turkey hunting (or elk hunting or fishing) for what it truly is for the average Joe and what you can accomplish if you work hard enough. The videos are there for entertainment and for memories further down the road.

I was a member of no less than 10 forums growing up. Facebook was obviously a huge hit but from what I've seen, forums die because the crowd gets hostile. People aren't welcome. Do it this way or you're not allowed here. This is the best forum going. Don't let it die a slow death too.

Shannon, we all appreciate all you do. Other forums have made excuses as to why they can't operate. Not this one!

eggshell

I do agree, hostility has killed some really good forums. I'm not sure what killed it but turkey and turkey hunting forum was where I first met gobblenut and it was a really cool crowd just like this. I recently withfrew from a fishing forum because of political hate.

Jesus, said it best "Blessed are the peacemakers" Let work hard at being kind and friendly

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eggshell on February 22, 2023, 05:36:19 PM
I do agree, hostility has killed some really good forums. I'm not sure what killed it but turkey and turkey hunting forum was where I first met gobblenut and it was a really cool crowd just like this. I recently withfrew from a fishing forum because of political hate.

Jesus, said it best "Blessed are the peacemakers" Let work hard at being kind and friendly
I think turkey and turkey went down because the magazine folded. I hate that they shut it down, it was the only good one around.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 22, 2023, 05:46:30 PM

I think turkey and turkey went down because the magazine folded. I hate that they shut it down, it was the only good one around.

The T&TH forum, the NWTF forum, and a couple of others all seemed to shut down around the same time.  I know a lot of us ended up here.  The resultant group of folks here has turned out well (except for maybe a few of us...  ;D :angel9: )

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 22, 2023, 07:36:24 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 22, 2023, 05:46:30 PM

The T&TH forum, the NWTF forum, and a couple of others all seemed to shut down around the same time.  I know a lot of us ended up here.  The resultant group of folks here has turned out well (except for maybe a few of us...  ;D :angel9: )
At least you can get T&TH once a year now. Wish it would come back. Anyway, enough of that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

El Pavo Grande

I think the current culture of turkey hunting in general would be in much better shape without 90% of social media and technology.  In my opinion, the usual claims of jealousy or "learn to adapt" fall short of a sound argument in addressing the negatives that accompany the practices of many on social media, as well as clearly miss the point.  Not even close!!  Share away as long as responsibly doing so, with no hot spotting or name dropping states, National Forests, WMAs, or regions within states, etc.  Those that refuse to be responsible earn zero respect and are selfish.   

And please.... A prerequisite for a turkey hunting channel or show should be to at least sound somewhat like a turkey.  Sure, you don't have to sound very good to kill turkeys, but some are just to painful to watch (listen to).  It might up your viewership. 

eggshell

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 26, 2023, 01:51:19 AM
I think the current culture of turkey hunting in general would be in much better shape without 90% of social media and technology.  In my opinion, the usual claims of jealousy or "learn to adapt" fall short of a sound argument in addressing the negatives that accompany the practices of many on social media, as well as clearly miss the point.  Not even close!!  Share away as long as responsibly doing so, with no hot spotting or name dropping states, National Forests, WMAs, or regions within states, etc.  Those that refuse to be responsible earn zero respect and are selfish.   

And please.... A prerequisite for a turkey hunting channel or show should be to at least sound somewhat like a turkey.  Sure, you don't have to sound very good to kill turkeys, but some are just to painful to watch (listen to).  It might up your viewership.

I agree with you. THe problem has always been there. Social media just blew it up bigger. Way back in the dark ages we had those hunters who made sure that every bait shop and gun store had their picture hanging up and they'd sit around the camps at the state park and the restaurants and blow. I had a certain crowd that would check their turkeys at the check station and then lay them on the tail gate and sit there while other hunters came in. Magazines would do their anual article and burn spots/regions as well. It's the same attitude just a bigger audience.