OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Plenty Of Utube Traveling Public Turkey Groups Now.

Started by quavers59, February 14, 2023, 05:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkrem870

If your nailing the hottest girl around town you'd best keep it quiet if you wanna keep doing it

If your making good money you'd better not run your mouth or everybody will try and take your business

If you killing turkeys / fish/ know about a big deer you'd better keep it quiet or you'll have company

Hunt for yourself. Hunt because YOU enjoy it. Screw your likes and attempt to monetize public land resources while sheeting on all the other hard working public hunters. The little bit of money your making - and frankly it's peanuts - is being paid x10 by others in lost opportunities

Leadchunker

What's getting ridiculous? Is people leaving a vehicle at the gate going back home going to bed. Come back the next morning. Trying to claim THERE  spot. If it's a good size piece of property I don't care  what time you camped out I'm going in. Try and stop me.

Stoeger_bird

Quote from: Leadchunker on February 18, 2023, 09:54:38 AM
What's getting ridiculous? Is people leaving a vehicle at the gate going back home going to bed. Come back the next morning. Trying to claim THERE  spot. If it's a good size piece of property I don't care  what time you camped out I'm going in. Try and stop me.
But this is part of that adapting everyone keeps talking about.
T.W.D.W.D.

deathfoot

I will also add..that in the early to mid 2000's when the smaller digital camcorders came out my buddy bought one. He followed me around a bit with it. My Osceola kill is on video. And several other great kills and some awesome footage. If there was YouTube then we didn't know it.

He done it for fun and it was always fun to go back and watch it. I haven't seen one of those videos in over 10 years or more. It'll never make YouTube. I wouldn't want it to. And to me, it wasn't as fun hunting with him tagging along with that camcorder, it didn't fit my style. Too much equipment I thought (it was a camera and tripod only) and it slowed me down (I was a big run and gunner then). I find it much more enjoyable going alone all over the country by myself. More freedom to do as I want.

But to each their own. I watch some of the videos on YouTube. But I do agree, I wish they wouldn't say "we heading to "insert state".

Spurs Up

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 18, 2023, 09:08:49 AM
Quote from: Jbird22 on February 18, 2023, 07:15:57 AM
Quote from: West Augusta on February 17, 2023, 08:44:03 PM
I'm just jealous that YouTube wasn't around when I was young and that I had the balls to quit my job and go turkey hunting for a living.
Mmmm...It took guts to admit to what a lot of people won't. I guarantee that's the very problem with some of the ones who are doing the howling.

I have actually had this discussion with people.  In fact, my wife has made the comment, after hearing that supposedly some people are getting filthy rich making YouTube videos, that I should start doing it.  My response is that 1) I am way too old to start doing it now (and don't need or want to), but I would have considered it about forty years ago if it had been "a thing" back then, and 2) I don't want the things I do at my own discretion and leisure to start looking like a job,...and where I have to tell myself I have to go do this, even though I don't want to  go on this particular day, because of financial concerns.  I had a "job" for over forty years,...and I have no intention of turning my hunting activities into another one. 

The notion of being able to go turkey hunting (or any other) initially sounds appealing at first glance.  When I actually start thinking about it,...and I have done this watching some of these videos,...I find myself thinking about the other people in these YouTubers lives and what those people are sacrificing for their significant others to go galivanting all over the country to hunt stuff.  I may be the exception, but I can tell you one thing for sure, if I had told my wife that I was leaving to go turkey hunting for weeks or months at a time, I would have been shown the door many years ago.  If children were part of the equation, that would only be magnified tenfold. 

Not only that, but some of these guys go by themselves, drive hundreds or thousands of miles, sleep in their vehicles, hunt alone,...and do that over and over again.  I have tried that myself for some relatively short periods of time and it isn't something I would enjoy doing more than just a little bit. 

I suppose the point I would make is that it takes a certain personality type,...not only by the person doing it, but also by those close to him/her to decide to pursue that lifestyle,...or tolerate it.  As much as I enjoy turkey hunting, pursuing it under those circumstances is nothing I would do,...or, truthfully, admire in those that do it. 

But hey,...to each their own.... :icon_thumright:

Well put and sage perspective as usual. Turkey hunting is a great avocation, one for which those on this forum share a great passion. Turn it into a vocation - a job - and that is subject to change. No thanks.

Paulmyr

I've always been told if your job entails doing what you love, you'll never work a day in your life. I could see it going the other way quickly though if doing what you loved didn't pay the bills
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Nathan_Wiles

This ain't a new trick, that 'ol ploy has been around a long time. It's a little silly, but I saw it a lot in the late 90's for deer, ducks, and turkeys, then it cropped up again a few years ago. There is a lot of extra effort and risk, imo for a spot that is likely to get overrun anyway and leave the 2 car folks cussin' and kicking pine cones. If it's so good you gotta try these tactics, you will have company!

I sure did enjoy all those "sorry, No-count youtuber's" this past year while I was laid up recovering from shoulder replacement and knee replacement. Made those days a lot more bearable for me.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Quote from: Nathan_Wiles on February 18, 2023, 03:19:20 PM
This ain't a new trick, that 'ol ploy has been around a long time. It's a little silly, but I saw it a lot in the late 90's for deer, ducks, and turkeys, then it cropped up again a few years ago. There is a lot of extra effort and risk, imo for a spot that is likely to get overrun anyway and leave the 2 car folks cussin' and kicking pine cones. If it's so good you gotta try these tactics, you will have company!

I sure did enjoy all those "sorry, No-count youtuber's" this past year while I was laid up recovering from shoulder replacement and knee replacement. Made those days a lot more bearable for me.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I got a spot I like to deer hunt when I can pull myself away from waterfowling. One of the local land owners leaves a truck and trailer parked at the gate for the whole rifle season. Been doing it since I started showing up to the area some 15 years ago
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

lowoctane

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 16, 2023, 08:53:56 AM
Quote from: aclawrence on February 16, 2023, 08:39:47 AM
It's undeniable the pressure has skyrocketed since YouTube turkey hunting has taking off since around 2018 or so. I'm sure the pressure will ease up. Turkey hunting is hard. Maybe people will start to give up lol.

I think this may end up being the silver lining in this debate about ever-increasing pressure on public land.  At some point, we should reach that "point of diminishing returns" where a lot of folks, especially those newer to spring hunting, stop hunting due to the number of hunters in the woods hunting what appears to be an ever-decreasing number of available gobblers.  We'll see if that hypothesis is true and how long it takes.

Of course, those of us that have been doing it a long time are 1) more stubborn about giving in, 2) know enough about turkey hunting to persevere and succeed where others fail, and 3) probably know places to go, and are willing to make the effort to get there, so as to get away from that increasing hunting pressure.

Yup, I've seen it and been there too. Been run over by rookies and those that don't know their butt from a hole in the ground but are in a once primo spot because the conservation dept cut in a gravel highway for reasons unknown. It's my hope that they give up because of diminishing returns as well, plus the expense of hunting these great birds certainly isn't receding...
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Jbird22

I'm just jealous that YouTube wasn't around when I was young and that I had the balls to quit my job and go turkey hunting for a living.
Mmmm...It took guts to admit to what a lot of people won't. I guarantee that's the very problem with some of the ones who are doing the howling.

I have actually had this discussion with people.  In fact, my wife has made the comment, after hearing that supposedly some people are getting filthy rich making YouTube videos, that I should start doing it.  My response is that 1) I am way too old to start doing it now (and don't need or want to), but I would have considered it about forty years ago if it had been "a thing" back then, and 2) I don't want the things I do at my own discretion and leisure to start looking like a job,...and where I have to tell myself I have to go do this, even though I don't want to  go on this particular day, because of financial concerns.  I had a "job" for over forty years,...and I have no intention of turning my hunting activities into another one. 

The notion of being able to go turkey hunting (or any other) initially sounds appealing at first glance.  When I actually start thinking about it,...and I have done this watching some of these videos,...I find myself thinking about the other people in these YouTubers lives and what those people are sacrificing for their significant others to go galivanting all over the country to hunt stuff.  I may be the exception, but I can tell you one thing for sure, if I had told my wife that I was leaving to go turkey hunting for weeks or months at a time, I would have been shown the door many years ago.  If children were part of the equation, that would only be magnified tenfold. 

Not only that, but some of these guys go by themselves, drive hundreds or thousands of miles, sleep in their vehicles, hunt alone,...and do that over and over again.  I have tried that myself for some relatively short periods of time and it isn't something I would enjoy doing more than just a little bit. 

I suppose the point I would make is that it takes a certain personality type,...not only by the person doing it, but also by those close to him/her to decide to pursue that lifestyle,...or tolerate it.  As much as I enjoy turkey hunting, pursuing it under those circumstances is nothing I would do,...or, truthfully, admire in those that do it. 

Yes sir, well said!

silent tom

It amazes me the number of YouTubers that have popped up.   

Just a big "look at me" contest.  They need to go back to their mom's basement where they belong. 

I don't care what people say, they are NOT making the money people think pimping the resource. It's real simple guys- look up monetization rates for YouTube.

Sir-diealot

I have a lot of friends that stream both on Youtube and on Twitch and it is VERY difficult to make money unless you are getting donations through the donation button. I think you have to have so many subscribers before you can even get paid. Just looked it up.

Youtube: "To start earning money directly from YouTube, creators must have at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours in the past year.Dec 29, 2022"

Twitch: Twitch Affiliate: To become an Affiliate, you must have at least 50 followers and meet minimum streaming metrics in the last 30 days (500 minutes broadcast over at least seven unique days, with an average of at least three concurrent viewers).Sep 15, 2022

The majority of them are not making squat so they have to be doing it for more than that. I do not believe it is just about getting likes, though I do think that is a part of it. I do think there are those out there that simply enjoy doing it, enjoy hunting and want to share it with others or are just seeing what it is all about.

I am not a fan of what hunting has become on Youtube or on the hunting channels at all, my main problem is the kill at all cost attitude that so many of these people show and are passing on to many younger and some older hunters alike. I see some incredibly poor shot angles with both gun and bow. ( I fully acknowledge that camera angle may make it seem bad at times when it is not) I see people talking about taking 100 yard shots with a crossbow, I see people talking about taking shots with a bow through the shoulder bone because "My broad head is a one piece construction and is so many grain and can punch right through the bone" Or "I only take spine shots with my bow/crossbow" and much of this attitude has been taught to them through both the hunting channels and the YouTube channels. When you intentionally injure an animal with the attitude of killing it later with a second shot you are in the wrong, the animal deserves the respect of a quick and clean kill with the first shot or at least the attempt to do that. I hate what I have seen these videos/shows become, I would rather watch the old shows myself because the animal was shown respect and there was not a bunch of hooting and hollering and acting like an idiot, the animal was shown reverence.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: Glades on February 17, 2023, 10:51:06 AM
This is, in my opinion, why these shows are so popular:

1) It's public land hunting. The majority of people don't have access to private land, where you get to sit in a pop-up blind, with a bunch of decoys, and the turkeys just come to you. It reflects the reality and struggle that it takes to get a pressured bird. The old VHS hunting videos were all filmed in private, and was not relatable for the majority of hunters. Those hunts were easy, and boring.

2) It shows success and failure. Some of the best Hunting Public videos have no kills at all, and that's fine. Those videos are still great. Old hunting videos were all about the kill.

3) Its about the hunt and not the gear. Despite the fact that many of these channels are now sponsored, they are not constantly trying to shove product down your throat. That's what the old Primos videos did. It's just a group of young guys, with mismatched camo and an old 870, using their ability and wits to kill a bird. No blinds, no decoys, no gadgets.

4) They are very good. Despite their videos being all about the journey, and the characters, they still are very good at what they do. And because they are good, paying attention to what they do and the decisions they make on the spot will give you something to learn.
Reason number 1 is what drew me and many others to YouTube initially. It was refreshing to see average Joe's making use of public land hunting, gets old seeing the primos crew having bulls running to their bugles on a sprawling private ranch. Likewise seeing waddell with his decoy in a green field with a strutter decoy.

TurkeyReaper69

No doubht some of these guys home lives are completely shot. Wives are definitely hanging out with the tennis instructor after lessons.

deathfoot

No doubht some of these guys home lives are completely shot. Wives are definitely hanging out with the tennis instructor after lessons.
[/quote]

Too funny. And why I stay single. Relationships get in the way of turkey hunting.