Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Plenty Of Utube Traveling Public Turkey Groups Now.

Started by quavers59, February 14, 2023, 05:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DROCK

No doubt YouTube and social media is a huge reason for increased pressure throughout the country on public land for all the popular game animals. I used to post my successful hunts on social media but soon realized nothing good came from it.  5 minutes of fame is not worth the years of consequences.

deerhunt1988

We've already lost a tremendous amount of public land hunting opportunity in recent years, particularly in the southeast, due to the spotlight being put on public land turkey hunting through social media and YouTube. And mark my words, there is more opportunity loss to come. Many of us predicted this years back when we saw the damage being done.

We kept being told "Oh, it'll fizzle out." and "It's COVID! not YouTube." etc./etc.

Well, here we are years later and there is no signs of it slowing down. Applications to many states are breaking records. Point creep, which in the past was only really seen with western big game, is now becoming a reality in the turkey world. More and more public lands will continue to go under quota systems. More states will implement non-resident restrictions. License costs will continue to rise as a way to deter non-resident hunters. More restrictive bag limits will be put in place on public lands. You will need access to private lands to turkey hunt the entirety of a season (examples: Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina).

It ain't pretty fellas. These are turning into "The King's" turkey. Look at how fast its changed in 5 years, just imagine what it could be like in another decade.

So before you go like and subscribe your favorite YouTuber's video, buy their $145 pot call, line up to get their autograph. Just realize you are funding the very thing that is taking away YOUR public land hunting opportunities.

But its not just OUR public land opportunities being compromised. It is the future generation's.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on February 16, 2023, 11:11:56 AM
We've already lost a tremendous amount of public land hunting opportunity in recent years, particularly in the southeast, due to the spotlight being put on public land turkey hunting through social media and YouTube. And mark my words, there is more opportunity loss to come. Many of us predicted this years back when we saw the damage being done.

We kept being told "Oh, it'll fizzle out." and "It's COVID! not YouTube." etc./etc.

Well, here we are years later and there is no signs of it slowing down. Applications to many states are breaking records. Point creep, which in the past was only really seen with western big game, is now becoming a reality in the turkey world. More and more public lands will continue to go under quota systems. More states will implement non-resident restrictions. License costs will continue to rise as a way to deter non-resident hunters. More restrictive bag limits will be put in place on public lands. You will need access to private lands to turkey hunt the entirety of a season (examples: Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina).

It ain't pretty fellas. These are turning into "The King's" turkey. Look at how fast its changed in 5 years, just imagine what it could be like in another decade.

So before you go like and subscribe your favorite YouTuber's video, buy their $145 pot call, line up to get their autograph. Just realize you are funding the very thing that is taking away YOUR public land hunting opportunities.

But its not just OUR public land opportunities being compromised. It is the future generation's.
I think thats perhaps the scariest part of the whole deal to me... We can sit here and ponder what it'll be like 5 years down the road from now. Surely, more oppurtunity will be lost. But whats it gonna look like for the future generations?  Will it take my son a decade or more to draw an Iowa turkey tag? Will there be a shuttle bus taking all the hunters up to Mauna Kea from their Kona resort? South Florida draw hunts be a OIL tag? Unless something drastic happens I'm afraid it'll only get worse with each passing year..

arkrem870

It makes me sick.....to think what we had before compared to what we have now. Loose lips sink ships.  Still true after a 100 years. And every turkey hunters dang well knows it

mudhen

Too bad nobody told the birds to increase their brood success rates!!

Maybe turkeys don't watch Look-At-Me Tube?

Pedal all across OK for one bird!
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

sswv

ran into a very old friend a while back. we grew up coon hunting together and we talked old times for a while then, his young great nephew walked up and joined the conversation and was quick to tell about all his on camera kills and shared videos. we both gave him the eye then a good talking too. he got a bit PO'd and walked off. at that time we both agreed...we're the last generation of "real hunters". that's right, I said it. the young 'look at me' crowd haven't a clue how we old timers started out. we spent a lot of time walking behind someone most often with an unloaded gun then after we did what we were told we starting getting to shoot and then it's off on your own. if you didn't listen or shot at something you shouldn't have you stayed home to think about it. we had respect for our elders and the animals we hunted. we watched and listened and learned everything we could about the woods. my friend and I were turned loose on our first solo coon hunt when we were young teenagers. his dad dropped us off and told us where he'd be parked before morning. we showed up on time with a dead coon and ever since we were considered coon hunters not just kids tagging along. those were the days and I'd give anything to get a chance to go back for just one last hunt with all the old guys that I so miss and respected. my dad, my grandpa, my uncle and the old guy that lived next door that treated me like his own son. they would roll over if they knew what hunting has turned in to.

dublelung

Howieg

Quote from: dublelung on February 16, 2023, 04:32:25 PM
More tears in the White Claw huh?  :'(
Lol , I spit out a lil of my ranch water on this one ! 

kytrkyhntr

Quote from: JohnSouth22 on February 14, 2023, 10:06:59 PM
YouTube hunters have just become the easiest thing to point a finger at as to why people can't kill a turkey. They refuse to look in the mirror.

Facts
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Cmane08

I just miss the style of the old hunting videos like the truth etc.  I don't want to watch a 40 minute video with 20 minutes of looking at your ugly mug while you walk around and talk.

Stoeger_bird

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on February 16, 2023, 09:31:05 PM
Quote from: JohnSouth22 on February 14, 2023, 10:06:59 PM
YouTube hunters have just become the easiest thing to point a finger at as to why people can't kill a turkey. They refuse to look in the mirror.

Facts
Funny thing is many of the poeple that have been banging the drum about  social media and the tubers have no problem killing birds. Most likely kill more than 90% of the tubers every year.
T.W.D.W.D.

Goblen

I was watching a YouTube er this past year that fishes out  near Vegas. He was saying that he can no longer film on federal lands or waterway without a commercial filming permit issued by the district ranger. Because his channel generated money from video made on federal property. He would have to submit an application for the dates he planed to video.
Copy and pasted from link below.

Does commercial filming by individuals or small groups require a permit?

Federal law requires a permit for all commercial filming, no matter the size of the crew or the type of equipment. This includes individuals or small groups that don't use much equipment, but generate revenue by posting footage on websites, such as YouTube

https://www.nps.gov/ever/learn/management/filmingpermits.htm

eggshell

I am waiting on some of those bikini fishing girls to start doing bikini turkey hunting videos.... :drool:

Yup if the youtubers were smart they would take one of those gals along with them and have her get out of the vehicle first, and every old fart at the gate would volunteer where the turkeys were and say go get em. A good looking hen will fool more than just gobblers! Come on you all know you've watched them when the wife wasn't looking

News Flash: There's a new team roaming the country this spring filming gate numbers, addresses and GPS coordinates. The G.O.A.T.S. are going high tech. Well if Gobblenut can get his old 8mm to work again, maybe.

In all seriousness, it's not a new thing it just shows up faster. Way back in the 80s I had a film crew roll up on me and try and push me off a bird, Because "we're filming for a video". I was just in my 20s and they thought they could bully me. Funny thing is they were on my family's property without permission and I was working for the Division of Wildlife and ran the check station. Boy they had a funny look on their faces when they stopped at the check station to check the local kills and I greeted them in full uniform. I introduced them to the game warden. yeah, one of them calls himself a "turkey Thug" now. Just adapt and move on

aclawrence

Dang that's a juicy story. Wonder if it's being told around the "campfire story time" at the convention today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk