Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Plenty Of Utube Traveling Public Turkey Groups Now.

Started by quavers59, February 14, 2023, 05:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

If you are going to do it ditch the stupid music, if I am watching it is to see/hear the sounds of nature, not a concert. This is a major reason I only like the older videos.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

arkrem870

The best thing you can do is not watch period. The majority wouldn't even hunt without likes

Sir-diealot

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 26, 2023, 08:38:08 AM
The best thing you can do is not watch period. The majority wouldn't even hunt without likes
I don't and mainly for the reason above. That and the fake attempts at humor. If humor happens it happens, don't push to make it seemed like it happens, just looks pathetic and stupid.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

GobbleNut

Quote from: eggshell on February 26, 2023, 06:49:21 AM
Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 26, 2023, 01:51:19 AM
I think the current culture of turkey hunting in general would be in much better shape without 90% of social media and technology.  In my opinion, the usual claims of jealousy or "learn to adapt" fall short of a sound argument in addressing the negatives that accompany the practices of many on social media, as well as clearly miss the point.  Not even close!!  Share away as long as responsibly doing so, with no hot spotting or name dropping states, National Forests, WMAs, or regions within states, etc.  Those that refuse to be responsible earn zero respect and are selfish.   

And please.... A prerequisite for a turkey hunting channel or show should be to at least sound somewhat like a turkey.  Sure, you don't have to sound very good to kill turkeys, but some are just to painful to watch (listen to).  It might up your viewership.

I agree with you. THe problem has always been there. Social media just blew it up bigger. Way back in the dark ages we had those hunters who made sure that every bait shop and gun store had their picture hanging up and they'd sit around the camps at the state park and the restaurants and blow. I had a certain crowd that would check their turkeys at the check station and then lay them on the tail gate and sit there while other hunters came in. Magazines would do their anual article and burn spots/regions as well. It's the same attitude just a bigger audience.

A few observations based on the above:
i think part of the problem we have is that newer hunters that frequent social media sites will willingly talk about certain locations, and even give away hotspots, because they don't understand the repercussions of doing that.  I believe at least part of that is because they equate turkey hunting with how they hunt other game species,...that is, find a spot in the woods, wander around, and hope they see a turkey.  They don't understand that gobblers often willingly let EVERYBODY know where they are, which results in hunters concentrating around those vocal birds.  These newer hunters spilling their guts about the great turkey hunting spot they have, I believe, is a function of their inexperience as spring gobbler hunters.  Those that give away their hunting spots will eventually learn,...but there is also a steady stream of newbies that continue to do the same thing. 

The point about magazines and media other than internet "social media" being to blame long before the advent of the internet is also right on target.  I started spring gobbler hunting back in the 1960's, and from day one, stories have appeared annually about where to go hunting,...even to the point of giving away specific locations to hunt.

An example:  Fifty years ago a national magazine pointed out a specific canyon in the country I hunt.  Since that time, that canyon,...which was one I hunted regularly at the time,...has annually become a circus during the spring gobbler season.  I haven't hunted there in decades now, but once in a while I will drive through just to see that circus in action. 

Unfortunately, the internet/YouTube has just exaggerated the problem exponentially,...and, quite honestly, there is no end in sight. 

arkrem870

YouTube and social media turned hunting upside down. Nothing else compares. I've hunted for a long time and it's rocked the south east like dropping a bomb. I saw pinhoti /THP and others all together in my usual camp ground. Usually the opener was pretty low pressure and picked up into April in this location. Fast forward to the next year and we had to camp in the overflow and trucks at nearly every pull in at 3am. I'd never seen anything like it.

Then they put in major restrictions the next year/delayed season opener. Lowered limit. and basically made it not worth traveling to hunt there due to all the pressure. Then the hashtag crews went on to the next state and dropped a bomb on it. And I can't hunt it til April because I didnt draw a new non resident permit. So that leaves one state for me to hunt early and it's already turned into a nut show and has been pimped to the max.

I refuse to except it's all a big coincidence.....F your entertainment

eggshell

Gobblenut, we have a ridge we call "THe ZOO". , that was burned 40 years ago.  If you ever come here that's where I plan on taking you.... :goofball: :TooFunny:

quavers59

I like the Matt Dale Educational  videos. Even a ol veteran like me has interest in them. And he is mostly on Private Land. And it is just him.
   I watched - is it The Hunted Public? It was ok . A Guy named Ted missed . I think a Fiber optic  would probably  result in fewer misses. He got one hours later in the Heat. Those 2 guys looked like long distance  runners. I give them that. Ted looks all of 120lbs. That circular  hat seems to stand out rather then a baseball type. Wear what you want- but,I think a old Gobbler would really give a Circular Hat a once over.
    I am hoping this Spring is not crowded to the Gills again. Been super crowded since 2020 and the Chinese Virus kept people  home

Paulmyr

Quote from: quavers59 on February 26, 2023, 08:20:44 PM
    I like the Matt Dale Educational  videos. Even a ol veteran like me has interest in them. And he is mostly on Private Land. And it is just him.
   I watched - is it The Hunted Public? It was ok . A Guy named Ted missed . I think a Fiber optic  would probably  result in fewer misses. He got one hours later in the Heat. Those 2 guys looked like long distance  runners. I give them that. Ted looks all of 120lbs. That circular  hat seems to stand out rather then a baseball type. Wear what you want- but,I think a old Gobbler would really give a Circular Hat a once over.
    I am hoping this Spring is not crowded to the Gills again. Been super crowded since 2020 and the Chinese Virus kept people  home

You talking a circular hat like this? If so. I been using this one or one like it for the last 20 yrs. The turkeys don't bother with it.

I will say it does a decent job of keeping the gnats off the back of my neck and around my ears. Don't what it is but the gnats seem to stay above the brim and don't get onto those areas near as much. Also, the hat does a great job of keeping moisture from seeping into your collar and getting your upper torso wet when it's raining.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

g8rvet

I tried a hat like that, love them for fishing, but I kept bumping it off my head when leaning against a tree!   :cowboy:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

quavers59

Archivist13

Quote from: g8rvet on February 27, 2023, 01:40:05 PM
I tried a hat like that, love them for fishing, but I kept bumping it off my head when leaning against a tree!   :cowboy:

Haha! I did the exact same thing. Tried wearing one and went nuts hitting it against the back of the tree too. Drove me crazy!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Archivist13 on February 27, 2023, 06:23:25 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on February 27, 2023, 01:40:05 PM

Haha! I did the exact same thing. Tried wearing one and went nuts hitting it against the back of the tree too. Drove me crazy!
You both need to work the brim more, they stop doing that as they get worked in more. I am wearing one in my profile but prefer the old on I had made of saddlecloth is was much softer and fit my big ol' noggin' better.

John Koenig: