OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I miss Hevi

Started by ChesterCopperpot, February 11, 2023, 11:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

My 1300 and H&R both shot the Hevi #7s through a .660 really well but switched to a 20 and TSS.

Truth be told, I sure don't miss having to drip candle wax on the Hevi crimps to keep the buffer from leaking out into my cargo pant pocket.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

mikejd

Longbeard 4s for me.  I shot it all and this what I'm sticking with. I don't care about a few inconsistencies I take a good reasonable distance shot and if I dont get that I dont shoot. I wasted thousands of dollars on shells patterning and shooting. Mostly for fun and I can honestly say a longbeard 4 has never cost me a bird. So at 24$ for 10 rds Im good to go.

Turkeytider

Quote from: ElkTurkMan on February 11, 2023, 06:35:50 PM
I still have several boxes of Hevi 13 3" 2oz 6's. I hope enough to last the rest of my turkey hunting career. My 870 absolutely loves this shell and it has accounted for many birds over the years.

As do I. IMO a great turkey shell. Hopefully I have enough for the remainder of my turkey hunting career.

outdoorsmen

I have ALOT of the hevi13 20ga and 12ga 3.5" #7 and #6. Way more then I'll ever use in my life. I should sell some.

Gooserbat

You guys should learn to load. Yeah there's a little bit of upfront cost but if you want less than tss price, 15 gram tungsten is easy to get and #7 in that stuff is better than hevi ever was.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

the Ward

Quote from: mikejd on February 11, 2023, 10:24:05 PM
Longbeard 4s for me.  I shot it all and this what I'm sticking with. I don't care about a few inconsistencies I take a good reasonable distance shot and if I dont get that I dont shoot. I wasted thousands of dollars on shells patterning and shooting. Mostly for fun and I can honestly say a longbeard 4 has never cost me a bird. So at 24$ for 10 rds Im good to go.
That is how I feel as well. Once the last of my magblends and hevi-shot get used up, back to good old
lead I go. At my self imposed range limit, it all patterns great and kills just fine.

mudhen

I would expect them to get more organized after a few years under Vista's control...

Vista is reorganizing the ammo business now...

Hevi-13 was dropped by EM due to low sales, but it might make sense now with H-18 being so high...

Just know overall turkey ammo sales are a fraction of overall shotgun shell sales...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

bbcoach

Vista is reorganizing the ammo business now...

Hevi-13 was dropped by EM due to low sales, but it might make sense now with H-18 being so high...
[/quote]
10 plus years ago, EM ruined a Good thing when they started changing components in their Hevi turkey loads.  The first couple of years, Hevi 13's were putting up some very impressive numbers with the right choke in many guns.  Allaboutshooting (Clark Bush) did very extensive research on most of the Hevi offerings and reported some amazing performance out of the early offerings.  EM's low sales were due to Hevi's poor performing shot shells (later offerings) and the advent of Winchester Longbeards and the Shotloc technology.  I was fortunate to stock pile several boxes of the best performing lot numbers and LOVE their performance.  It will be GREAT if Vista can bring back the early offerings and can keep the cost down.

Matt76cmich

Makes me happy that I still have 16 boxes left between 12 and 20 gauge in #7 Hevi-13.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

davisd9

Do not miss having to search lots so your gun could shoot consistently at all. The more they went up the worst they shot. I have wiped my hands clean of that company and am better off.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

So what would be the cost now? 
Probably at least 40-45$  for 5 round boxes of 3" 12 gauge, maybe more.

jonhaga

I remember looking for the magic lot numbers of these shells, 300325 I believe was one

fmf

Quote from: Tom Threetoes on February 11, 2023, 11:25:52 AM
Nothing about that company makes sense. Every shell they used to sell worked very well but they managed to screw them all up.

ain't that the truth

Cut N Run

I hunted with copper plated #6s for a lot of years with great success.  I decided to try Hevi when I shot a gobbler at 36 yards with the copper plated lead and he ran off.  Found blood and cut feathers, but I never did find him.  The performance of Hevi was a world of difference compared to lead, so I bought lots of Hevi and I still have enough to last me a more than the rest of my life.  I tried some 3.5" Hevi #7s, but it just didn't pattern as well as the 3" Hevi #6s or #7s.  I haven't to switched to TSS because I've got more than enough Hevi.

I have one box of 3.5" Hevi#7s I'd part with if anyone's interested (lot 300324).  PM me.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

reflexl

The heavy 13 #7 3.5 was my go to in my BPS. It was super nasty. I retired that gun so it is water under the bridge.