turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I miss Hevi

Started by ChesterCopperpot, February 11, 2023, 11:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Was going through my ammo stash today and seeing what I've got tucked away. Realized I still had two shells of Hevi-13 #7s and got me reminiscing on what a devastating load that was on turkeys. $30 a box when it wasn't on sale, compared to the nearly twice that I'm spending now on Apex. Bottom line, nothing about Hevi makes any sense now. In my opinion they don't make a single turkey load I'd buy. Most of its duplex junk, but even the pricing doesn't make sense. Yes, tungsten 18 is stupid expensive per pound, and, yes, that's why we're paying almost $10 per shell. But they've got boxes of five priced at $104?!? TWENTY DOLLARS A SHELL!!!

Here's where I'm going with this, though. The Hevi XII they're making really interests me. The problem right now is that it's only available in #4s and #6s and light loads relative to turkeys. At $90 for a box of 25, I'm still tempted to get some of the 1.25oz #6 to try. But why aren't they loading the Hevi XII in a turkey load? If they don't want to manufacture anything other than the #4 and #6 shot sizes in it, fine. Give me a 2oz load of those #6s and we're at least somewhere back close to those Hevi-13 #7s we all loved so much out of our 12s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Threetoes

Nothing about that company makes sense. Every shell they used to sell worked very well but they managed to screw them all up.

Happy

I still have about 5 boxes of the 3.5", #6 shot. Last year I got a little sentimental and used them again. They killed just as well I they used to. I think the old loads where darned good loads. Especially for the 12 gauge. Longbeards are just cheaper and as effective. I think that's what killed them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Happy on February 11, 2023, 11:28:32 AM
I still have about 5 boxes of the 3.5", #6 shot. Last year I got a little sentimental and used them again. They killed just as well I they used to. I think the old loads where darned good loads. Especially for the 12 gauge. Longbeards are just cheaper and as effective. I think that's what killed them.
When them LongBeards are shooting they're a hard shell to beat, especially for the money. Unfortunately I had some really bad issues with a lot of them and I lost all faith in taking them to the woods. A bad lot cost me multiple birds one season before I figured it out. Those Hevi XII #6 1.25oz loads would almost have as many pellets per shell as the 1.75oz LB #5s and more than the #4s. If they were to make those Hevi XII in a 2oz load they'd be mean.

Happy

I have heard of people having issues with the longbeards and have no doubt they have issues from time to time. I have used them here and there with zero issues personally, but I am a pretty small sample size. I have a bunch of them that eventually I will get around to shooting so time will tell. But between using my hevishot and other lead loads in the 12 gauge and using a 20 gauge about half the time it may be a while. I hope the resin doesn't go bad over time. And I plan on testing each box before hunting them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

I know of an old gun store that still has boxes of Hevi 13 in stock ... It's about 30 miles from my location... I bought all of the old 20 gauge they had in 7 shots ... but they still had it in both 12 / 3 inch and 3.5 inch...

tal

I shot Hevi-13's for years and liked them. When LongBeard's first came out I patterned some and switched immediately. Like others I then found too much inconsistency with patterns and tried some Winchester Supreme pheasant shells. Copper plated buffered shot in a 3" 1 5/8 oz shell that patterns well in a couple of different guns with Sumtoy chokes. Soft shooting, tight patterns, and ready to take different guns if the need arises.

jordanz7935

Lots of shady marketing from the original company over the years. Hevi 13 was 13g/cc for 1 year. Then they switched back to 12 g/cc and continued to call them hevi 13 for 10 + years. Great product but terrible marketing scheme.Hevi metal turkey, and Hevi X strut are among there most recent flops. They dug there own grave, but Winchester longbeards and commercially loaded tss buried them.
They have since sold to Vista, I believe, and they seem to have done a complete 180 as far as marketing goes. They finally bein truthful about what's in there shells. But prices have gone crazy. The new hevi 18 tss has great reviews but overpriced but has been unobtainable in my area.
To your inquiry about Hevi XII as a turkey load... I'd save your $$$. They are a waterfowl load and I think you'd be hard pressed to get 100 in the 10". I've tried the same experiment with the remington hevi Shot field loads and the remington hevi waterfowl loads in 20 ga 3" #6. They'd kill a turkey but 85 in the 10" isn't going to the woods with me. They are awesome duck loads though!!

bbcoach

Chester, I'm a Hevi 13 #7's guy through and through.  I started back in the 90's when they were the Cat's meow and still shoot them.  I can't see changing when I have about 10 boxes left and I get 300 plus with my Mossy and a Pure Gold choke.  Devastating load in my opinion.  NO TSS for me!!!!

jordanz7935

And as to why they aren't loading hevi XII in turkey loads... I believe they still are making magblends which has been 12g/cc for years.... but in recent years magblends have been very pricey also.... imo more bang for your buck with apex or even federal tss. Profit margin always gonna be better for them charging $105 for a box of tss compared to a 40-50$ box of hevi 12.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: jordanz7935 on February 11, 2023, 12:53:49 PM
And as to why they aren't loading hevi XII in turkey loads... I believe they still are making magblends which has been 12g/cc for years.... but in recent years magblends have been very pricey also.... imo more bang for your buck with apex or even federal tss. Profit margin always gonna be better for them charging $105 for a box of tss compared to a 40-50$ box of hevi 12.
Only thing I want blended is a turkey's brain. I can't stand a duplex load.

Dtrkyman

I remember getting the 3 inch 1 5/8th oz roll crimped loads, first one I shot I thought was a dud the recoil was so light!

Went to the target and it was destroyed!  No clue why they wouldn't just make those again?

Glad I started loading my own, I did it prior to commercially made TSS but mainly did it to tote a 5lb gun!

I still have a stash of Winchester xtended range, that stuff is awesome too. I've thought about selling it but it's nice to have some back up!

Kylongspur88

I've still got about a dozen of the old hevi 3.5 inch #6. I killed a bird last spring with one stone dead at 50 yards. My 870 really likes those shells. I've had my own issues with the LBs. I got a box of #5 that were very inconsistent compared to prior boxes. As far as consistency the Winchester high velocity loads have been great. You won't get the same distance/density as LBs but consistency is more important to me

Cmane08

I've got a couple boxes of the 7s left for my 12 and I'll be sad when they're gone.  They throw a nasty pattern

ElkTurkMan

I still have several boxes of Hevi 13 3" 2oz 6's. I hope enough to last the rest of my turkey hunting career. My 870 absolutely loves this shell and it has accounted for many birds over the years.