OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What wood

Started by Will, February 10, 2023, 08:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I'm new to pot calls. I've used them early on but haven't for over 20 years. I recently acquired a slate that I've liked and will hunt. That being said, what species of wood could you get a deep Jake yelp from on a slate. Does the style of tip matter too?

Thanks

RH1

Purposeful gobbler yelping, it's on a butternut shortbox. That said, maybe just choking the bottom down on a slate...wood type may not matter?
Red Hills Turkey Calls

3bailey3

Roger Park's double spur, watch his seminar on YouTube on gobbler and jake yelps.

rong

For jake and gobbler yelps, you can do it on most any pot by playing in the center and slowing down your cadence. That said, Roger Parks and Larry Gresser bot make pots specifically make to make male turkey clucks and yelps.

Loyalist84

I find strikers matter a fair bit too - some woods sound "jake-ier" than others. While others have mentioned that cadence and playing away from the edges of the pot contribute quite a bit, woods like Ziricote or Tulipwood work well in my opinion - something with a nasal front note that breaks over into a low 'honk'.

letinmfly

If you're specifically looking for a Jake/gobble pot get a hold of Roger Parks or Sadler McGraw.  You won't find better ones than those two gentlemen. 
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

Will

Thank you everyone. I bought a Roger Parks Gobbler Pot and it's a great call. I also bought a JLH blackwood striker that sounds very similar to Roger's gobbler striker. I was hoping the JLH striker would sound similar so I had a back up.     

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Will on February 19, 2023, 08:24:46 PM
Thank you everyone. I bought a Roger Parks Gobbler Pot and it's a great call. I also bought a JLH blackwood striker that sounds very similar to Roger's gobbler striker. I was hoping the JLH striker would sound similar so I had a back up.   

Will, I have a combo glass over slate. A smaller surface on the slate side. It's a mountainside game call I had forever. I use a FAT acrylic striker on the slate side and slow it down. It makes nice deep clucks and short deep yelps. Sounds good and very Jake/Gobbler like.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."