turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Solo or with friends and family?

Started by Tom007, February 05, 2023, 07:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roosterstraw

I typically try to get a hunt or two in with my dad every year but our work schedules dont always line up. So im usually solo. Once my boys get older im sure my turkey days will be with them, I sure hope so anyways.

Spring Creek Calls

When the gun is in my hands I'm gonna be alone. I enjoy calling for others but it's gotta be one on one for me.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

deathfoot

Over 90% of the time alone. I have a few I'll go with from time to time but we usually split up.

I'm self taught. I started on my own as no one in my family hunted. I learned a lot, mostly by making some big mistakes.

I travel a lot turkey hunting. Usually alone. I actually enjoy it. It's just me and the road. No one to tell me when they need to stop, where they want to eat and I can do my own thing. I guess I haven't found the right traveling partner but I just thoroughly enjoy doing it on my own.

As I'm older...I do like showing others. So if someone wants me to tag along with their child and help, I always will. And there's the occasional person who asks me to take them because they've never been..and I'm always happy to do that.

But when it comes down to it. Most of the time, it's just me.

Tom007

Wow, great comments from all of you. It seems like a lot of us hunt solo, but others enjoy family and friends. Hey, this is what it's all about, whether solo or with friends; we all love the memories that we share together in person, or by photos. These are what will last forever......

jordanz7935

Been guiding for 6 years, so I really enjoy my solo hunts when I get the chance these days. If I'm out to fill my tags, I enjoy the 1-man game! I've begun to travel hunting neighboring states , I thoroughly enjoy that challenge hunting solo also.That said I have a few friends and my brother who I really enjoy hunting with every spring. I used to take just about anyone who wanted to go before I started guiding and i will say I'd rather take a client than 90% of the other guys... clients are always ready on time and willing to hunt there butts off, they generally listen better and argue less too. I've made some great memories and built some great bonds with clients, friends and family in the turkey woods! That and there's nothing better than being along for the ride when someone gets there first! From 12 year Olds to 70, that's something they'll never forget and is an awesome experience to be a part of!! This post really got my wheels spinning. As much as I love the one man game, my most rewarding and memorable hunts over the years have definitely been with other people. I guess at the end of the day I love turkey hunting in any shape or form. From turkey dogging in the fall with a bunch of clients to my solo trips out of state, I'm blessed to be able to do what I do!!

Sir-diealot

I prefer to be alone, I have always been more of the loaner in life. I have taken friends kids hunting, that is the one exception.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Moore

I typically hunt alone, but I'm hoping one day my son will show interest and want to get into it.
[

mountainhunter1

I feel a little guilty about it every year, but turkey hunting is just something that I like to do alone. I can go up on the mtn and just lose track of the whole world for most of a day and to me that is about as good as it gets. I am the same way on my deer hunting.

But I have for years made it a priority to take a person or two and call them a bird to the gun each spring, and I have a good time when I do, - but like Chester said, I am pretty picky about who I want to spend the day in the woods with. I make some calls, buy more calls, camo and a lot of other stuff and give it away to new and existing turkey hunters throughout the year, but my preference is to go it alone most times when chasing turkeys.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

WV Flopper

Zobo

If I go hunting with my sons I'm a guide, if I go fishing with them I'm a first mate. If I personally want to hunt I need to go solo. I equally love both types of hunts. They're "adults" now and it's still that way.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

MK M GOBL

Definitely a Friends, Family and More!

I have taken more people out on their birds over the years than I have ever been on the trigger with by 1/3 being "my" birds and 2/3rds being others birds. Just my drive to get others involved in hunting. I still go the solo route at times and enjoy that, but those Friends, Family, Learn to Hunts, Youth Hunts, Charity Hunts, and the Newbies always win the coin toss!

MK M GOBL

paboxcall

Goes in waves. For a few years, I'm hunting solo. Then for a few years rather take someone along or team with a buddy. Then back to hunting on my own again.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Howie g

Nothing I enjoy more then a spring hunt with my sons .  But when I'm on the gun , I go at em solo .

Wigsplitter

I'm about 75 - 25 solo hunts to friends hunts- most of my friends are not as dedicated to it as I am and get enough quickly while I'm still wanting to go- that being said I really enjoy calling a bird to the gun for a great friend or family member to taking it. Great memories there !

1iagobblergetter

In the beginning i started with a friend that called pretty good,but had know technique or real turkey knowledge. We went 2yrs with nothing. On the 3rd year i hunted a early season with getting nothing again and then i decided to learn to call the best i could before the late season..
He laughed and said good luck since he had other things to do and didnt care for the late season. I read,practiced,and asked my brothers friend who knew what he was doing for some advice and on the last weekend of season and i believe last day i shot my first and probably one of the biggest turkeys ive ever gotten...
Since then on i loved hunting Solo until my son turned 6 then id take him for youth season. Id go mine without him since i hunted alot during the week. Now for years its been him and I and when hes unable to go it doesnt seem as much fun..
I enjoy seeing him out there and his love for the sport more than anything..Hes learned alot of valuable turkey hunting& life lessons chasing turkeys spring&fall with me..
Ive taken a few others to show them the ropes and to get me out there even tho we already bagged our birds.