OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Three inch shells in a 3-1/2 barrel

Started by Tom Threetoes, February 01, 2023, 12:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Threetoes

This should be probably posted in the Turkey gun section but I thought it would get 
more attention here. I'm getting tired of lugging my 3-1/2 inch 870 cannon around the woods and my 3 inch 870 has a sleeved barrel that's too tight for the big TSS loads. I decided to swap barrels around but I've never shot three inch shells in the longer chamber. I know i can do the switch but do you all think it would still pattern okay?

Tom007

I've had very good patterns shooting 3 inch shells in all of my 3 1/2 inch guns. This has been my experience so far.....
"Solo hunter"

runngun

Apex make a load that is 2.75 with 2 ounces of #9 to say that it is devastating would be an understatement.  They are wicked!!!!

Have a good one and May God bless
Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Big Jeremy

You'll be fine. In fact, on multiple occasions a 3" pattern has been even better for me than a 3.5" pattern. Not with every combo, but definitely with some. The difference in payload is negligible, and still higher capacity than a 20 ga. Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Threetoes

Thanks guys, your answers are what I was hoping to hear!

captpete

I quit shooting 3 1/2" shell 9-10 years ago. My 870 shoots better patterns with 3" shells in pretty much every combo of shell & choke I've tried.

Greg Massey

Agree, i bet his gun will pattern better with the 3 inch shells ...

Wigsplitter

I agree with the rest shoot the 3 inch - I'll bet the pattern is better and your shoulder will thank you!!

HillclimberWV

3" longbeard patterned better for me than 3.5" in my Stoeger 3500.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

I shoot 2 3/4" out of my 3.5" gun just fine
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tom Threetoes

Cut N Run

My 3.5 inch chambered gun shoots 3" shells better than anything else.  The difference in pattern density between a 3" and a 3.5" is is minimal at best.  I've had a difference in ammo brands, so definitely find what what your gun likes.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Ihuntoldschool

Pattern be fine.
Point of Impact probably change.

Old Timer

My 835 has always patterned better with 3 inch shells.

Spurs Up

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 01, 2023, 08:10:55 PM
I shoot 2 3/4" out of my 3.5" gun just fine

Me too. Some of the experts (I'm not one) will tell you that you lose a little velocity when shooting a shorter shell in a longer chamber. Dead turkeys can't tell the difference.