OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkeys and UV

Started by Cowboy, January 29, 2023, 06:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

As most probably know, birds can see in a different range of colors. UV being the subject of this post, do you feel that this is something that limits your success? Example. Gobbler comes in and stops 75 yards out and stretch up, fixs his wings, and putts. Slips away out of your life forever. Alot of the new camo clothing is made from material other than cotton. Any info or comments or experiences? This was a discussion my brother and I had yesterday. Interested in input from the forum here.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Happy

I personally think they see things the way we do, just better. Personally, I treat my clothes for it just in case, though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Jordan121787

Yeah I think UV plays a good part in what they can see. I remember listening to a podcast not to long ago where they were talking about them creating their photoform decoys and how they were getting terrible results due to them not being UV treated. I don't wear my first lite stuff because it glows under a uv light.

Kylongspur88

Lots of birds have vision that see different wave lengths of light and color way better than we do. I think UV is an issue in certain light conditions. Especially early morning / low light. I don't wash any hunting clothes in soap that has brighteners and treat all my turkey clothes in UV killing spray. So that and sit still and you'll be okay

Greg Massey

Does anyone have a homemade recipe for UV spray ?

Happy

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 29, 2023, 07:27:23 PM
I always just used that ATSCO stuff.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on January 29, 2023, 07:33:34 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on January 29, 2023, 07:27:23 PM
I always just used that ATSCO stuff.
Thanks Happy ...

Bowguy

Consider this. Years back they sold uv killer sprays. Maybe again now? Idk. The animal they targeted were deer hunters. I was shooting 12-13 deer a year mostly bucks. I used the spray than stopped. I was averaging the same success. Turkey seems to mind not too much if it's real still. I wear plain bdus, untreated, any jacket I feel is warm enough. When younger my kids wore clothes their mom or grandma washed in all sorts of uv brightener stuff. I've never seen a bird come over the hill and notice if they were still. To each his own, I guess it could never hurt to do more but imagine being scent free turkey hunting. It's doing more but is it helping? Not really right, this is how I view it. Too many times something is marketed to empty your pocket, let's say turkey could see more ultraviolet spectrum. Does that mean it spooks them? If yes,  Than shoot, hang a towel the way you don't want them to go and sit uv free this way. Heck ring a roost tree 3/4 of the way with uv stuff. Birds gotta come to you if that was the case wouldn't they? All equal odds imo w or without the lack of uv.

Cowboy

Personally,  I feel that sitting still and setup in a place that provides natural cover or a tree wide enough to cover your outline are the most important things. Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts though.

Turkeybutt

Quote from: Cowboy on January 30, 2023, 05:43:20 AM
Personally,  I feel that sitting still and setup in a place that provides natural cover or a tree wide enough to cover your outline are the most important things.
I agree with this whole heartedly! Sometimes we tend to over think things when it just comes down to a few basics. Proper sit up, camo of some sort, calls you have confidence in and patience.
Patience kills more turkeys then anything in my opinion.

eggshell

I 100% agree with the don't move belief. It is not the UV glow or anything your wearing that spooks turkeys. it's movement. The downside to wearing something more noticeable is it makes them look at you more. Once noticed they will see you move. Here's one thing that many hunters over look, blinking is movement. A buddy of mine put me on to this years ago. After I had a bird spook for no reason he told me, quit staring at those birds, they see you blinking. I started turning my eyes away and focusing down as much as possible and I have noticed less skiddish birds.

Paulmyr

Definitely can see UV. I looked this info up last year when people were talking about green lights. I forget wether it's rods or cones but turkeys have more of the ones that see the color spectrum in their eyes. Apparently hens can tell how good of shape a gobbler is in by the UV light he reflects.

Dull and dingy and he's not scoring!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

shaman

Quote from: Cowboy on January 29, 2023, 06:30:33 PM
As most probably know, birds can see in a different range of colors. UV being the subject of this post, do you feel that this is something that limits your success? Example. Gobbler comes in and stops 75 yards out and stretch up, fixs his wings, and putts. Slips away out of your life forever. Alot of the new camo clothing is made from material other than cotton. Any info or comments or experiences? This was a discussion my brother and I had yesterday. Interested in input from the forum here.

First off, UV reflectivity in relation to deer is complete hogwash.  Second, the products that claim to reduce UV are ineffective.

Now, how this hoax got transferred to Turkey is beyond me. 

Turkeys have superior eyesight to humans in the respect that they can detect minute amounts of movement better than we can.  However, even that can fooled.   They have almost no 3D vision.  They have to be concentrated on you (the front 2%) of their FOV to get a 3D view.  They also have no concept of  this-is-in-that or this-is-behind-that.  This makes them oblivious to hunters inside pop-ups.

UV?  This was elephant repellant from the get-go.   
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

GregGwaltney

Quote from: eggshell on January 30, 2023, 06:57:16 AM
I 100% agree with the don't move belief. It is not the UV glow or anything your wearing that spooks turkeys. it's movement. The downside to wearing something more noticeable is it makes them look at you more. Once noticed they will see you move. Here's one thing that many hunters over look, blinking is movement. A buddy of mine put me on to this years ago. After I had a bird spook for no reason he told me, quit staring at those birds, they see you blinking. I started turning my eyes away and focusing down as much as possible and I have noticed less skiddish birds.
I noticed this as a youngster, I always tip my head/hat brim down below their eyes so they can't see my face/eyes.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Bowguy

Fellas an interesting poll could happen. There's some real turkey slayers on here. I bet many have killed well over 100 birds. Why don't someone start a poll to see just how many got killed by folks even considering uv killer in a dream? Ask them to guess or post a rough number just to help with take numbers. It could even be birds they guided, mentored others. Obviously they would need to say they use it or not. Won't prove it helped em but You'll quickly see it doesn't matter.