turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hen with a beard & spurs

Started by Hwd silvestris, January 29, 2023, 04:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwd silvestris

Have any of you fellas ever seen a hen with spurs?   I have hen on camera at the deer feeder with a beard and spurs.    Although it may be a gobbler with a hen head.  Darnedest thing I've ever seen!  I'll try and post a picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runngun

Please post up the pictures, I would like to see it.

Have a good one and May God bless
Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Hwd silvestris

On the first few pics I had of it I really didn't catch on to it.  As I looked closer I saw what appeared to be spurs so I was intrigued to look back at other photos and it was clear. 

Tail Feathers

I've seen a bearded hen or two, but never heard of one with beard and spurs.  Cool pic!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Turkeybutt

That's one of them Transgendered turkeys

Sir-diealot

Saw my first bearded hen last May, this is a new one on me. I wonder what a biologist would have to say.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

guesswho

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 29, 2023, 05:09:11 PM
Saw my first bearded hen last May, this is a new one on me. I wonder what a biologist would have to say.
If I was a biologist, I'd tell you if it identifies as a gobbler, then so be it. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Quote from: guesswho on January 29, 2023, 05:48:21 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 29, 2023, 05:09:11 PM
If I was a biologist, I'd tell you if it identifies as a gobbler, then so be it.
I was looking for a more scientific approach. :P
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

guesswho

Scientific?   Can't help you.   But I did stay at a Holiday one time ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Thank goodness it don't have fluorescent blue , green or pink on it's head .... :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Happy

That's one of them mossyhead turkeys you  hear about. I bet it gobbles, but it sounds a little different. I have seen it before with domestic turkeys. Sometimes, something in the genetics just goes weird. I have always privately thought that was what the old timers didn't realize when talking about them. The descriptions of them were right along those lines.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tal

I've seen bearded hens but the spurs had me, couldn't match them with that head. Happy you may have hit paydirt. Imagine what would be told if that bird was killed in the early 1900's, or even now.  :o

ChesterCopperpot

Seen plenty of bearded hens, but sure never seen one with spurs. That's wild.

deathfoot

That's pretty awesome and unique.

I've been turkey hunting for 30 years and have yet to see a bearded hen. Much less anything like this.

Guskie

I see a smallish head, under developed waddles, and feathers that grow further up the neck than normal.

Other wise it has male plumage, and the obvious beard and spurs.