turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Adding more scratch surface to pot call

Started by Bingoman, January 26, 2023, 11:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingoman

Is it uncommon to scratch up the entire surface of a pot call(glass or crystal).I've seen vids of dudes going over the whole surface with a stone, others just using the factory made surface area. Does adding more scratch, affect the tone or vibrations of the call?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

RH1

Quote from: Bingoman on January 26, 2023, 11:01:46 PM
Is it uncommon to scratch up the entire surface of a pot call(glass or crystal).I've seen vids of dudes going over the whole surface with a stone, others just using the factory made surface area. Does adding more scratch, affect the tone or vibrations of the call?

It is uncommon. Covering up the pretty stuff that shows up on soundboards  ;D

I've used 1/2 blasted on calls. Never could tell a difference in those from small spot scratches.
Red Hills Turkey Calls

Paulmyr

I think the advantage of conditioning the whole surface is in finding the sweet spot that's right for you not one dictated by purdy things under the surface.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

outdoors

Funny
Glass service iffy
Back N the day for slate all over this way that
Way now it's north east to south west
To each it's own I reckon
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

RH1

Quote from: Paulmyr on January 27, 2023, 10:25:45 AM
I think the advantage of conditioning the whole surface is in finding the sweet spot that's right for you not one dictated by purdy things under the surface.
There is a "laughing guy" emoji after my comment...for some reason its really small....some may not have seen that.
Red Hills Turkey Calls

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mastevt

Once the call is in your hands, it's up to you, and I can't speak for other call makers, but myself, I know where my sweet spot is on my calls, and I dress it accordingly.  I really doubt you'll find a spot on it better, but then again, everyone has different tastes, and it's why I said, once it's in your hands, your free to do with it what you want.  I can add, that the mass majority of the glass calls I make, the customer wants some kind of pic on the soundboard, for memories sake.  And I take great care in dressing the glass so as not to cover up the memory.  Just my .02 cents worth.   Scott.

Bingoman

Quote from: mastevt on February 02, 2023, 11:33:04 AM

Once the call is in your hands, it's up to you, and I can't speak for other call makers, but myself, I know where my sweet spot is on my calls, and I dress it accordingly.  I really doubt you'll find a spot on it better, but then again, everyone has different tastes, and it's why I said, once it's in your hands, your free to do with it what you want.  I can add, that the mass majority of the glass calls I make, the customer wants some kind of pic on the soundboard, for memories sake.  And I take great care in dressing the glass so as not to cover up the memory.  Just my .02 cents worth.   Scott.
How do you know where the sweet spot is without it being conditioned?

paboxcall

Quote from: Paulmyr on January 27, 2023, 10:25:45 AM

This, and I don't want to be spinning a pot in my hand during a set up trying to line up that tiny patch of conditioned glass.

Glass pot calls I've carried over the years get the stone treatment before going into the woods.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

EZ

Quote from: mastevt on February 02, 2023, 11:33:04 AM
Once the call is in your hands, it's up to you, and I can't speak for other call makers, but myself, I know where my sweet spot is on my calls, and I dress it accordingly.

I don't build pot calls, but this is what I've been told by a number of top builders. Where the call is scratched, THAT is the spot. Your mileage may vary.

bbcoach

IMO, I buy a call to take it to the woods and use it.  I normally condition half of the side that the call maker started on and practice with it to find the spot or spots that sound right to my ear.  I also experiment with multiple strikers on the surface as well.

cwb04

Not to highjack this thread, but beings we are talking about scratching - what grit sandpaper do you all find works best for scratching a glass surface?  I typically rough it with a stone and then fine tune it with sandpaper.  My sandpaper has seen better days and going to get some new but can't remember what grit I had.  I do know it what I have is not "traditional" sandpaper, rather it has little squares you can see through.

May be a question for gooserbat and/or other call makers.  Thanks in advance fellas!

runngun

60 or 80 grit for glass
Green or Red scotch brite for slate
Stone or sheetrock screen/mesh for crystal
Alcohol wipes (only) for Aluminum/Corian
I will also clean strikers tip with Alcohol wipes

This is just what I have found that works for me.
Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

cwb04

MK M GOBL

I consider that little sanded spot on a new "Glass" call just there so I can get an idea of sound.

I run a slate 90% of the time. I guess I buy my calls to use in the timber, I dress the surface 3/4 of the down, I leave the bottom clean so I can orient the call in my hand when dark, and so I don't have to look at it when I pick it up, I have also notched a "noon" spot on some of the pot calls, maybe just my style and how I run a call, but I use a lot of the surface to call. I'll always go with performance over pretty, if you have both then it's a winner.

I guess with some of those fancy type collector calls they make them pretty under the glass to look at.

MK M GOBL