turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Illinois Gun Ban

Started by PaLmbHngr, January 20, 2023, 01:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaLmbHngr

Saw this on an email from Deer and Deer Hunting about some of the guns now illegally in Illinois. Surprised to see thumbhole and pistol grip shotguns on the list. Glad that I moved out of Illinois as I can still hunt with my 870 with ShureShot stocks.

Among the items listed in the ban are:

Semiautomatic rifles that have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine or that may be readily modified to accept a detachable magazine.
Any firearm with a pistol grip or thumbhole stock, including turkey shotguns.
Any semiautomatic rifle with a mixed magazine that can accept 10 or more rounds, except for an attached tubular device only capable of accepting .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
Any semiautomatic rifle with a threaded barrel.
All Avtomat Kalashnikova types of guns.
All Armalite Rifle types.
Numerous Ruger, Remington and Thompson/Center rifles.

Yoder409

Good luck to the Illinois gubmint on that..............    ::)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

deathfoot

Quote from: PaLmbHngr on January 20, 2023, 01:00:40 PM
Saw this on an email from Deer and Deer Hunting about some of the guns now illegally in Illinois. Surprised to see thumbhole and pistol grip shotguns on the list. Glad that I moved out of Illinois as I can still hunt with my 870 with ShureShot stocks.

Among the items listed in the ban are:

Semiautomatic rifles that have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine or that may be readily modified to accept a detachable magazine.
Any firearm with a pistol grip or thumbhole stock, including turkey shotguns.
Any semiautomatic rifle with a mixed magazine that can accept 10 or more rounds, except for an attached tubular device only capable of accepting .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
Any semiautomatic rifle with a threaded barrel.
All Avtomat Kalashnikova types of guns.
All Armalite Rifle types.
Numerous Ruger, Remington and Thompson/Center rifles.

Well damn. I have a turkey hunt coming up there this spring. All my turkey set ups have thumbholes or pistol grips. I'll contact the guy out there to see his comfort level of me breaking the law I suppose.

deathfoot

Further reading finds I should be okay, as grandfathered in. If I understand correctly. But perhaps someone who lives there can clarify.

Tail Feathers

These states keep trying things like this and losing in court later.  I sure hope Illinois loses in court over this.  Sooner or later, legislators should be locked up for violating civil rights over this.  How many times does the court have to slap their hands before the message gets across. 
These continuing assaults on the second ammendment need to stop and locking up legislators who fail to listen to the SCOTUS rulings is a good start.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

PEPPERHEAD

Pump action shotguns are exempt from the pistol grip and thumbhole ban.

turkeynewb

I don't believe there is grandfathered in from out of state. It took effect immediately and is stupid. you can read the law if you search hb5855

Jimspur

90% of Illinois sheriffs say they won't enforce assault weapons ban.
They claim the new law violates the 2nd amendment.

deathfoot

Quote from: Jimspur on January 20, 2023, 10:08:38 PM
90% of Illinois sheriffs say they won't enforce assault weapons ban.
They claim the new law violates the 2nd amendment.

Good to hear. I'll be there with my SBE3 pistol grip on April 20-22.

Matt76cmich

Looks like on Friday 1/20 a judge has temporarily paused the ban due to being unconstitutional.

Sir-diealot

NY did the same with thumb hole stocks, really stupid.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 21, 2023, 04:35:55 AM
NY did the same with thumb hole stocks, really stupid.

Steve, do they mention pistol grip stocks, or just the thumb hole stock? A lot of new Turkey guns have the pistol grips. NJ allows them as long as the stocks are full length, and factory molded in....and obviously not adjustable.....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

The way i look at all of this, it's the VOTERS FAULT ... People can make changes if they get out and VOTE...

Neill_Prater

Amazing how ridiculous some of the things they can come up with. I know New York outlaws thumbhole stocks, but not pistol grip. Gee, that makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Cowboy

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 21, 2023, 10:24:43 AM
The way i look at all of this, it's the VOTERS FAULT ... People can make changes if they get out and VOTE...
Handful counties out of the 102 are always what decide the governor in Illinois.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk