OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ported vs non ported chokes

Started by JohnSouth22, January 12, 2023, 07:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSouth22

Was curious as to what everyone was running on ported vs non ported chokes. Has anyone noticed better results with TSS in one vs the other? Ive always run ported (Indian creek) but have heard some say that non ported works better with tungsten. Any validity to this?

Tom007

I use Apex ammo in my Remington 870 with 21 inch barrel. Apex recommended the Indian Creek .665 choke for the 2 1/4 oz #9 load and they were dead on, it patterns lights out. So in this case, the ported choke worked great.....
"Solo hunter"

JohnSouth22

Quote from: Tom007 on January 12, 2023, 07:35:07 PM
I use Apex ammo in my Remington 870 with 21 inch barrel. Apex recommended the Indian Creek .665 choke for the 2 1/4 oz #9 load and they were dead on, it patterns lights out. So in this case, the ported choke worked great.....
I didn't see that on their sight. nice to know. Thanks!

WV Flopper

I can not say comparing apples to apples which will or does shoot better. I have not done it.

I can say felt recoil is a bit different from a 570 ported to a 562 non ported! The 562 did pattern better, but that's not apples to apples.

Tom007

Quote from: JohnSouth22 on January 12, 2023, 07:36:15 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on January 12, 2023, 07:35:07 PM
I didn't see that on their sight. nice to know. Thanks!

Good luck....I did run the Apex TSS through a few other chokes too. The Indian Creek that they recommend did have the edge, but I also had good results with a Pure Gold Tempest (non-ported) .670 and Rob Roberts Final Strut .660 (non-ported). These 3 chokes handle the TSS 7,'s and 9's very well.
"Solo hunter"

SumToy

Port holes go in boats and Thunderbirds. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gooserbat

I think there are bigger factors than ports on choke performance.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Terry

Sounds stupid, but I found a small twig in the port of a choke a few years back. Killed a gobbler a while later. Always wondered what would have happened to my pattern if I didn't happen to see it and pull it out. Switched over to non ported after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey46

IMO many chokes are very close in performance.  I used an Indian Creek .650 for several years with the old white Hevi13.  My supply of that ran out and I now go with Apex Ninja.  Apex recommends .660 or higher for this shell.  I found a Carlson .690 in non-ported.  It is just fine with even patterns and no gaps at normal ranges. This is through a 870 12 GA 21" barrel.

RutnNStrutn

I use Apex Small Town Blend in my 12 and 20. I use Indian Creek chokes in both at the recommendation of a friend who is a Prostaffer. After many years of constantly experimenting with different choke and load combinations, both with ported and non-ported chokes. I was never satisfied, but I finally found a choke-load combo that met my expectations, Indian Creek and Apex.
So I'm going with the ported chokes.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk