OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Yes, yes, YES !!!!!!!

Started by Yoder409, January 04, 2023, 01:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

From another thread...........but deserving of its own.

Quote from: sswvI encourage EVERYONE to trap and/or hunt ground predators.

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERY little bit helps !!!!!  I get it...........trapping canines, fishers and bobcats has a learning curve and requires somewhat of an investment in time and $$.

Raccoons, possums and skunks........ESPECIALLY raccoons.......can be removed EASILY with a $50 investment at Rural King in 3 dog-proof coon traps and a couple cans of sardines or canned catfood.

If you ain't giving back to the turkeys........you may be part of the problem.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

guesswho

I do some hog hunting with night vision over feeders when legal.   Hogs are primary target, but I don't mind wasting a 5.56 or ten rolling a few coons with the AR.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Yoder409

Quote from: guesswho on January 04, 2023, 03:31:52 PM
I do some hog hunting with night vision over feeders when legal.   Hogs are primary target, but I don't mind wasting a 5.56 or ten rolling a few coons with the AR.

Where there's hogs, I'd imagine they're every bit as hard on nests or even worse than raccoons.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

nativeks

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 04, 2023, 01:05:40 PM
From another thread...........but deserving of its own.

Quote from: sswvI encourage EVERYONE to trap and/or hunt ground predators.

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERY little bit helps !!!!!  I get it...........trapping canines, fishers and bobcats has a learning curve and requires somewhat of an investment in time and $$.

Raccoons, possums and skunks........ESPECIALLY raccoons.......can be removed EASILY with a $50 investment at Rural King in 3 dog-proof coon traps and a couple cans of sardines or canned catfood.

If you ain't giving back to the turkeys........you may be part of the problem.
A little dog food and grape jelly. And only grape jelly, strawberry and plum dont work.

Also if you have never done it calling racoons and coytes/bobcats is alot of fun. I have a suppressed coyote rifle.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Sure try but they are getting odd about trapping where I hunt. Way to muddy to get to it right now anyway.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tail Feathers

I've tried hunting coyotes specifically after deer season and haven't had any luck so far.  I live too far from my hunting area to trap and travel out there daily.  I shoot pigs everytime I see them.
Any chances of using dog food to bait coyotes?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 04, 2023, 04:37:04 PM
I've tried hunting coyotes specifically after deer season and haven't had any luck so far.  I live too far from my hunting area to trap and travel out there daily.  I shoot pigs everytime I see them.
Any chances of using dog food to bait coyotes?
If you know a dairy farmer with a body pile they are great to hunt over. Yes it can work with dog food, seem to remember they like cat food more though. I may be wrong with that though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

jmart241

Started trapping last year with some dog proofs seams to have helped saw poults where i havent seen any in a few years. Hoping the coons and possums I caught this year helps to

Yoder409

Quote from: jmart241 on January 04, 2023, 07:11:54 PM
Started trapping last year with some dog proofs seams to have helped saw poults where i havent seen any in a few years. Hoping the coons and possums I caught this year helps to

Every single turkey predator and nest predator out of the equation HAS to help.     :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

nativeks

Set a racoon trap last night and apparently caught one cause 3 bald eagles were snacking on him and carried off the carcass when I went to check it this morning. Never seen that.

Matt76cmich

Been researching a multi purpose rifle for predators and deer so I can start hunting coyote and whatnot. So far I have it narrowed down to a .243 or 6.5 (gotta stay .269 or smaller for night hunting). I'd like to think this will help "do my part", but if nothing else just more time in the woods.

The night time coyote hunting looks like it'll put a pretty good dent in the wallet whenever I decide to get into that lol.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

El Pavo Grande

100% Agree.

Many tow the line of political correct speech of some wildlife biologists.....improve habitat only and Predator control is a waste of energy and time.  Habitat definitely matters, and probably is the most important if one were to rank, but I think it's a huge mistake to have that attitude towards predator removal.  I've seen arguments that if habitat isn't 100% suitable it's a waste of time, and if habitat is considered 100% suitable there is no need to remove predators.  But, 5 times (?) the amount of predators on what is now less available habitat is not a good recipe for success, even with better habitat.  Beyond the negatives of spring weather we have had over the last 15-20 years, coyotes, fox, bobcats, coons, and possums, etc. all seem to be at as high of a level as I've ever seen in Arkansas.  While the interest in trapping seems to be growing here, it's still no where near the level of traditional participation when fur prices were much higher.  At this point, large scale change is going to rely on direct involvement from concerned and invested hunters. 

rifleman

There were turkeys galore on the 1000 acres I hunted during the fur boom when coons were hunted hard for pelts.  They may not be the only reason for the downward turn in turkey numbers on our property but nothing else has changed.  I bought one dozen Duke's dp coon traps ($144.) and started using them and have caught 12 in 3 weeks of trapping.  Just reset them last Thursday and will be running them Tuesday.  I use cheap cat food from Dollar General.

nativeks

Quote from: Matt76cmich on January 08, 2023, 01:13:31 PM
Been researching a multi purpose rifle for predators and deer so I can start hunting coyote and whatnot. So far I have it narrowed down to a .243 or 6.5 (gotta stay .269 or smaller for night hunting). I'd like to think this will help "do my part", but if nothing else just more time in the woods.

The night time coyote hunting looks like it'll put a pretty good dent in the wallet whenever I decide to get into that lol.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
This is my do everything rifle. .224 valkyrie with a suppressor. Ive shot coyote and deer with it. Deer got a 90 gr federal fusion, coyotes get 60 gr Hornady Varmint Express

Soft Talker

Corn(bait from slob hunters) = more predators and disease = less turkeys for you. Add to that the increased number of sorry a$$ tactics used to kill these days, and most of your turkeys don't stand a chance sustaining themselves. Problem has always seemed real simple too me.