only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

biting into TSS?

Started by 76chevy, December 31, 2022, 11:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76chevy

anybody done this before?

:funnyturkey: :funnyturkey:

It has to be terrible, lead at least has some give.  I had a friend break a tooth and TSS concerns me. 

Greg Massey

The way I look at it, you either made a bad shot or you didn't clear your gobbler very well ... IMO...... :OGturkeyhead:

Gooserbat

I cut all my birds into strips for fajitas or poppers so I don't have any issues
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Turkeybutt

Neither taste good and yes lead shot does have some give but like Greg said you may not have cleaned it very well.  I'll take TSS over anything else on the market right now and I used both.

Yoder409

Not TSS..........but a Federal Heavy 7 pellet.

Gave a couple sets of leg quarters to my mom's boyfriend and he did them his secret way in a Crock Pot.  Long story short............apparently a pellet hit a twig or was just a flyer.  I bit into one back on my 6-year molar.  cracked it beyond saving.  A couple years and a nice (?) price tag later I have a dental implant where my 6-year molar used ta was.

You bite into a lead pellet it sucks.  But there's some give.  Tungsten alloy pellets forgive NOTHING.  I've gone to running turkey meat under a cheap, old metal detector.  7's are pretty small.  9's and 9.5's are POWERFUL small.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Yoder409 on December 31, 2022, 01:59:51 PM
Not TSS..........but a Federal Heavy 7 pellet.

Gave a couple sets of leg quarters to my mom's boyfriend and he did them his secret way in a Crock Pot.  Long story short............apparently a pellet hit a twig or was just a flyer.  I bit into one back on my 6-year molar.  cracked it beyond saving.  A couple years and a nice (?) price tag later I have a dental implant where my 6-year molar used ta was.

You bite into a lead pellet it sucks.  But there's some give.  Tungsten alloy pellets forgive NOTHING.  I've gone to running turkey meat under a cheap, old metal detector.  7's are pretty small.  9's and 9.5's are POWERFUL small.
Responding to the OP, yes, I've bitten into TSS and luckily didn't chip a tooth but it was surprising I didn't. As far as it being a bad shot or something: shoot a pattern at paper and while the core will be uniform I'd just about bet my a$$ there's a straggler somewhere outside the pattern. #9 is tiny, tiny. Good luck with that.

But Yoder! This is brilliant! I'll have to try that metal detector idea this spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdrumnc

Yes. You will find the route from your molar to your brain very quickly!

Cowboy

Yep. We have a hand held metal detector my kid has. Works great. Pin pointer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vt35mag

Quote from: Cowboy on December 31, 2022, 04:32:31 PM
Yep. We have a hand held metal detector my kid has. Works great. Pin pointer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I picked up a garrett propointer just for this purpose and it would not detect #9 tss put into the middle of a snack stick. I had to have the bb in my hand with the detector directly on it for it to pick it up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Guskie

Hey VT, I have no experience with metal detectors - but have bit down on tss. I reload tss for my gun that I bought from Hal, but my wife shoots federal tss. We have a shot trap and I use a magnet to recover Hal's shot. I've found the federal tss is not magnetic.

Would that make it harder for a metal detector to find?

Tail Feathers

I've had to replace two toilets after passing TSS that I had swallowed previously.  Serious penetration.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RiverBuck

From what I can tell, tss shoots through birds, clears brush, passes through trees and ends up lodged into a dirt mound the next county over so unless I pop some raw like a tic tac.. I'll never know

Zobo

It's not uncommon to find an occasional pellet in your dinner. It's happened to me a couple of times with doves and ducks and I'm fastidious in the kitchen when cleaning and fabricating game birds. It is easier to miss a pellet in those darker fleshed birds and in the leg and thigh meat of turkeys too I suppose. Never had a problem with turkey breasts however.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Turkeybutt

Quote from: Tail Feathers on December 31, 2022, 09:07:34 PM
I've had to replace two toilets after passing TSS that I had swallowed previously.  Serious penetration.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Okay there it is, Tail Feathers is now relegated to using the Outhouse!

vt35mag

Quote from: Guskie on December 31, 2022, 08:58:42 PM
Hey VT, I have no experience with metal detectors - but have bit down on tss. I reload tss for my gun that I bought from Hal, but my wife shoots federal tss. We have a shot trap and I use a magnet to recover Hal's shot. I've found the federal tss is not magnetic.

Would that make it harder for a metal detector to find?
I'm not sure, but I THINK it might be due more to the size of the shot. When I had 2 or 3 bbs in my hand it detected them easier.
Was hoping it was going to work better for me because I have bit into hevi shot 7s before when cooking the breasts whole. Figured a $130 detector would be cheap insurance compared to a visit to the dentist.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk