turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli Nova 20ga BIG problem 'pic added'

Started by sswv, December 28, 2022, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

a friend of mine has a Benelli Nova 20ga full camo in really good condition with the exception of a bulge in the end of the barrel. it is a 26" barrel and I'm thinking it can be cut down a couple inches and re-threaded. now for the question...any idea who can thread it to accept the original Benelli Mobil threads? he has offered to sell it to me on the cheap but before I jump in I want to know all the particulars.

thanks in advance

3bailey3

try William at Sumtoy, he can tell you if it can be done.

Tom007

Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 28, 2022, 04:51:43 PM
try William at Sumtoy, he can tell you if it can be done.

Williams the man on this one
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Just remember a new one cost around 400 dollars and if you search on the forum, they don't make the best turkey guns. So the cost of shipping and having someone cut the barrel and re-choke the gun can run around 150 - 200 dollars so you have to ask yourself, do i just save my money and buy another gun.. It's all up to you and what you want to accomplish with the gun after you have it repaired.  IMO... I would look for a better gun in either new or used without the barrel problems.  Shipping this day and time is terrible also.. IMO ... I would buy Mossberg SA 20 ga. new or used over that Benelli .....IMO

sswv

yeah Greg. I'm very aware of what you're saying. I do not need another turkey gun but this one can be had very cheap is why I'm pondering on it. the polk stock I've been working on will probably be my go to gun because the 870's are getting a bit too heavy for me anymore.

thanks everyone for your replies.

ChesterCopperpot

If it can be had super, super cheap I'd buy it, saw it down myself, and use it as a couch gun. You could keep an eye out for a barrel. There's one on eBay right now, but it's a fuzz high. Anyhow, keep an eye out and just buy a new barrel when you see one come up affordably.

Here's the barrel on eBay if you're interested. Depending on what you got the gun for you might still come out cheaper than most used Novas. https://www.ebay.com/itm/333098895159?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=lLTLQEtiTZu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=wc6kpstVTVm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Not wanting to distract from the specific question at hand, but I am curious about the bulge, it's possible causes, and the inherent danger it might present if it was continued to be fired as is?  Not being a gunsmith or expert in these matters, I just wonder how big a deal this sort of thing really is in modern shotguns. Is there a real danger in the barrel exploding in situations like this,...or is it that nobody really want to find out by continuing to shoot one?   I have always heard about the dangers of shooting older shotguns with barrel distortions like this, but this is a subject I have not heard much about in recent years.

...Any thoughts from our resident experts?...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 29, 2022, 09:02:21 AM
Not wanting to distract from the specific question at hand, but I am curious about the bulge, it's possible causes, and the inherent danger it might present if it was continued to be fired as is?  Not being a gunsmith or expert in these matters, I just wonder how big a deal this sort of thing really is in modern shotguns. Is there a real danger in the barrel exploding in situations like this,...or is it that nobody really want to find out by continuing to shoot one?   I have always heard about the dangers of shooting older shotguns with barrel distortions like this, but this is a subject I have not heard much about in recent years.

...Any thoughts from our resident experts?...
This was my thought as well, just how far down the barrel might the damage go that it can't be seen in micro fractures in the barrel or something. I would not buy it myself, I have enough problems with my body.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sswv

thanks again gang.  I'm working on getting a picture or two.

sswv

here it is. no idea how it happened. 

Greg Massey

Quote from: sswv on December 29, 2022, 12:30:30 PM
Just from the picture, the gun looks well used.. not anything i would invest more money or buy myself...  good luck with your decision ...

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 29, 2022, 12:50:13 PM
Quote from: sswv on December 29, 2022, 12:30:30 PM
Just from the picture, the gun looks well used.. not anything i would invest more money or buy myself...  good luck with your decision ...

Agreed Greg, looks banged up from the looks of the gouges in the vent rib that's shown...
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

More trouble them what it's worth, I would pass on that and look for something in better condition.

sswv

thanks again gang. I'm not in the market for another shotgun this one just happened along. if it can be had cheap enough I'll grab it and cut the barrel a couple inches and go from there. if not, I will encourage the owner to do the same. it's useless like it is but could be a good field gun for someone like a rabbit or bird hunter.  oh yeah' the end of the rib is the worse part of the gun, the rest looks just fine.

Tom007

Quote from: sswv on December 29, 2022, 03:45:51 PM
thanks again gang. I'm not in the market for another shotgun this one just happened along. if it can be had cheap enough I'll grab it and cut the barrel a couple inches and go from there. if not, I will encourage the owner to do the same. it's useless like it is but could be a good field gun for someone like a rabbit or bird hunter.  oh yeah' the end of the rib is the worse part of the gun, the rest looks just fine.

Good luck either way my friend.....
"Solo hunter"