turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cold Weather Boredom/Playing Calls

Started by Greg Massey, December 26, 2022, 01:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

I enjoy playing these calls in the house in this kind of weather, but i play calls all year long. Who's playing calls? I'm enjoying these trumpets/yelpers along with all the other ones. You just have to listen and understand the way a call wants to BE PLAYED and the hens the builders put in their calls. This in my opinion is the beauty of the different calls with tones , pitches and sounds.. So as you hold that call think of the builders and the time they spend in perfecting these instruments.  That's just a part of the great history of these calls. As i tell people you have to have calls to play. Collector or not always take the time to perfect your ability to be a better caller. I know learning or calling is of very little interest to some in hunting these gobblers, but I like beating these gobblers and playing the game by calling them. So again who's playing CALLS?

hoythunter

I play my calls all year long as well. One reason is I just enjoying doing it. I also want to be the best I can at it. I've never played any musical instruments but I look at my calls as instruments. I've never tried a trumpet but I'm thinking I want to.

Tom007

For sure, play them constantly. I believe practice will make you a better more proficient caller. I watch a lot of videos and study  the various calls that bring the Old Guys in. I never stop trying to get better.......
"Solo hunter"

GregGwaltney

I play them all year too, mostly trumpets and scratchers.....my wife even tolerates my practice as if I don't exist....lol
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

callmakerman

Love running calls year-round. For the most part I run pots, troughs and yelpers. Never gets old and really enjoy listening to a well-made call that a maker put their best work into.

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

HookedonHooks

Play calls daily year round. Just before and during waterfowl season I practice more with the duck and goose calls, but the turkey calls still get plenty of love just about every day as well. These next couple months will be lots of playing and deciding what calls will make the cut to hit the woods for the first trip of the season.

Sir-diealot

When I thought I was going to have to move a lot of my calls got packed away, the last few months I have gotten them out and started to play them, especially the trumpets, wing bone and scratch boxes. Only problem I end up with is that it seems the time I want to play is the time that my GF is wanting to go to bed. That way every year it seems.

Only good thing this year is she is to the point she needs to get a hearing aid so she does not hear me as often. Only problem there is she has been asking me to help her find a hearing aid of late. I am hoping to find her one with dead batteries!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

guesswho

I may be odd man out.   But I don't practice with the calls much at all.   I do however do dry runs all the time, can't help myself.  Kind of like walk throughs the day before or the day of a football game.  I do this with mouth call and suction style yelpers.  Same air, huffing, lip movement etc.  Just without the actual call.  I know people in traffic and public places sometimes think I probably ran out of my medications.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Yoder409

ALL THE TIME !!!

Maybe not every day.  But probably in the garage 3-6 days a week.  Box calls.  ALWAYS box calls.  I may grab one or two and play them for a good while.  Or I may go down the line and play 20 or 50 for a minute or two.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

wchadw

I run yelpers pretty much daily. I'll run a box or scratch box every once in awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler428

I play trumpets and wing bones daily and box calls maybe twice a week. I think it helps me learn something new about each call and how it likes to be played in addition to making me a better caller.

troutfisher13111

Trumpets for at least ten minutes a day year around. Rarely miss a day. Had dental work done a couple weeks ago and missed 6 days in a row. It was torture!!

crow

Quote from: Terry on December 27, 2022, 09:02:18 AM
Trumpets for at least ten minutes a day year around. Rarely miss a day. Had dental work done a couple weeks ago and missed 6 days in a row. It was torture!!

I didn't wait long enough after having a tooth pulled and got that dry socket thing, after getting another one pulled I listened to the doc and waited a week before playing again.
Trust me the dry socket was way worse than missing a week with a suction yelper.

I play calls year round, sometimes miss a few days in the heart of deer season.

troutfisher13111

Quote from: crow on December 27, 2022, 12:43:50 PM
Quote from: Terry on December 27, 2022, 09:02:18 AM

I didn't wait long enough after having a tooth pulled and got that dry socket thing, after getting another one pulled I listened to the doc and waited a week before playing again.
Trust me the dry socket was way worse than missing a week with a suction yelper.

I play calls year round, sometimes miss a few days in the heart of deer season.
That was my thought. The doctor actually said two weeks but I only went one.