OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting Trip for Graduation Gift

Started by Hersh, December 25, 2022, 01:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hersh

I'm trying to set up a turkey hunting trip with my son for his graduation. We're looking at Alabama or any other state that's open the first week of April. We have 4 days to hunt till he needs to b back for baseball. We can do public or outfitter. Don't really mind either one. Any recommendations?   Thanks Ryan.

Sir-diealot

Would you care to adopt a plump turkey hunter?

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Thinking an outfitted Texas Rio hunt would be a blast !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tail Feathers

If a little extra travel is doable, a Texas Hill Country Rio hunt with a good outfitter should provide some excellent turkey fun.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Turkeybutt

Anywhere you take your son will be a great graduation present. Way to go dad!
On another note.
I would think you should take somebody like me along to record all your activities and take photos etc as a keep sake. It may put me out a little but I'm sure i could free up some time if you want to take me along to document his graduation hunt.
Oh by the way my birthday is coming up in May!

deathfoot

This will be a great graduation gift. Excellent idea!!

Most will probably say Texas. I've been there done that, won't go back. However, it's worth it once.

I'd say stick to Alabama or Florida. Georgia is good too. I hunt Georgia most years on their opening weekend and have a blast.

Make a decision tho soon and get to planning. I'm sure outfitters are getting full. Northeast Georgia has some good public land that I've hunted in years past.

Keep us posted and best of luck when the time comes!

TauntoHawk

That time of year I'd go Texas

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Swampmonkey

Id do Florida if you have to stick to that week. Georgia public land is no longer open the first week in April but private is. Me and a buddy hunted with a great outfit down there twice and both of us killed on the first day (both trips). If interested shoot me a PM and ill give you the guys contact info.

Hersh

Thanks for the info guys !   I'm not totally sure where we'll go but I don't think we'll have enough time to travel to Texas  So I think it'll b Alabama or Georgia most likely.  Gonna dig through as much info as I can find and decide from there. One thing I like about a private place is a lot of those places have fishing available as well. He loves to fish almost as much as hunting.  Ryan

PharmHunter

Do you live in Alabama?  I'd literally look at a laundry list of states to travel to and hunt turkeys before Georgia or Alabama, and I live in SC.  Hope you guys have an awesome time wherever you decide.

Hersh

Not in Alabama, we live in northern Indiana. Trying to stay within 12 hrs drive of here.  We have a short window of time between baseball games while he's on spring break. So we basically have April1-4 open. Obviously we're stuck with whatever states have an open season.  As of right now the best close places are Illinois, Alabama and Georgia. 

TauntoHawk

The limiting factor is the timing, there is only a short list of states that are open. I think my plan if in your shoes would be to look for a reputable outfitter in my price range with openings in your time slot than worry about the state unless you plan to dyi or public. There's good hunting in every state if you're on the right property

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

76chevy

Quote from: Hersh on December 27, 2022, 09:47:32 PM
Not in Alabama, we live in northern Indiana. Trying to stay within 12 hrs drive of here.  We have a short window of time between baseball games while he's on spring break. So we basically have April1-4 open. Obviously we're stuck with whatever states have an open season.  As of right now the best close places are Illinois, Alabama and Georgia.

How about western or southern IL? 

deathfoot

Quote from: 76chevy on December 30, 2022, 07:55:30 PM
Quote from: Hersh on December 27, 2022, 09:47:32 PM

How about western or southern IL?

Southern Illinois opens on the 3rd tho. He wouldn't be able to max his time. But if chooses Illinois..he will need to go ahead and apply. I've got my application in for northern Illinois.

Hersh

I just checked, I think Illinois would be an option. We can hunt April 3-5 and mayb a the morning of the 6th. Any good turkey outfitters down there or mayb we could do Shawnee National forest.  I'm gonna do some more research on that this weekend.