News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

flu shots?

Started by harvester, February 13, 2011, 08:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

How many get a flu shot every year?

I don't, won't, will not even think about it. Everybody I know who gets one, gets sick.

RutnNStrutn

I get one every year. I've never gotten sick from it. Nor have I come down with the flu since I started getting the shots. I am a firefighter :firefighter: and during flu season we run on people with the flu 2 or 3 times each shift. I'm not taking those kind of chances without getting the shot.

Skeeterbait

Every year and never had the flu. Not to say the shot won't make a few people feel achy and run a low fevor for a day.  It happens to some but it is not the flu.  Now you can catch the flu anyway in a few rare instances.  A few people will not develop the immunity from the shot.  You also have to realize that the flu virus mutates every year and in order to have the serum available they have to make their best educated guess ahead of time as to what strain will be most prevelent each year.  Sometimes they don't guess as well and the shot may only be partially effective against the strain you encounter that year.

chatterbox

I work in healthcare, and if I don't get the shot, I have to wear a surgical mask all the time at work.
The shot is easier, and less aggrivating.

Odessa

Take it every year and also haven't gotten the flu from it yet.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

West Augusta

Every year for over twenty years. When I can't get them at work I have even gone to the doctor and paid for them myself. They work.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

knightrider

flu shot :TooFunny: another false money maker :TooFunny: never had the shot and cant remember ever having it, the people that take the shot get it all the time :TooFunny:

CASH

My last flu shot was in '96 when the military made me get one.  Luckily my immune system is pretty strong. I haven't had the flu since '94 and a cold since '03
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

sugarray

Let me get on my soapbox.  It only takes one kid to get the flu, a pneumonia on top of that, and a week on the ventilator, then to die to realize how important the flu shot is.

It is not a money maker.  A clinic may make $5 from the flu shot, giving the flu shot, the paperwork involved and the time involved.

The flu shot can make you feel achy, have a low grade temp, a RN, congestion and cough.  About a week later.  It does not prevent the flu, but helps it not be so severe, reduces the hospitalization rate, and helps reduce the secondary complications, mainly pneumonia, but also deaths, from the flu.

TnTurk

I've never had the flu shot and only had the flu once when I was 15 years old. I'm around almost 1000 kids five days a week and even when the virus hits us hard i haven't gotten sick in 18 years of teaching. Knock on wood.

CASH

Quote from: sugarray on February 13, 2011, 09:18:20 PM
Let me get on my soapbox.  It only takes one kid to get the flu, a pneumonia on top of that, and a week on the ventilator, then to die to realize how important the flu shot is.

It is not a money maker.  A clinic may make $5 from the flu shot, giving the flu shot, the paperwork involved and the time involved.

The flu shot can make you feel achy, have a low grade temp, a RN, congestion and cough.  About a week later.  It does not prevent the flu, but helps it not be so severe, reduces the hospitalization rate, and helps reduce the secondary complications, mainly pneumonia, but also deaths, from the flu.

I still ain't getting a flu shot. 
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

gatrapper

I have never got one.

3 weeks ago my Doctor asked me if I wanted a flu shot.  I told him, "Naw I never get the flu."

Well last week I was laid up with Influenza B.  Probably still won't get one.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Crutch

Quote from: chatterbox on February 13, 2011, 08:50:24 PM
I work in healthcare, and if I don't get the shot, I have to wear a surgical mask all the time at work.
The shot is easier, and less aggrivating.

X2,

otherwise, I wouldn't get one and didn't get the flu before I was forced into getting one.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

redarrow

Every Oct. when bow seasons comes around I get a shot. Other than sinus probs. I havent been sick in years.

ground control

Quote from: sugarray on February 13, 2011, 09:18:20 PM
Let me get on my soapbox.  It only takes one kid to get the flu, a pneumonia on top of that, and a week on the ventilator, then to die to realize how important the flu shot is.

It is not a money maker.  A clinic may make $5 from the flu shot, giving the flu shot, the paperwork involved and the time involved.

The flu shot can make you feel achy, have a low grade temp, a RN, congestion and cough.  About a week later.  It does not prevent the flu, but helps it not be so severe, reduces the hospitalization rate, and helps reduce the secondary complications, mainly pneumonia, but also deaths, from the flu.

I used to have the same opinion as do many others in regards to the flu shots. What sugarray says is true. I work in it everyday and see the unfortunate outcomes that quite possibly could have been prevented. no its not a guarantee, but neither is a seatbelt.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"