OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tappling Shotgun for Reflex Sight?

Started by BDeal, July 28, 2022, 09:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

Hi All- This may be a dumb question but I called a gun shop to see about getting my sons 870 tapped for a scope and when I asked for a price the person on the other end of the phone started talking about how the price to drill and tap was dependent upon which particular mount I used for the reflex sight and which "plates" I needed, etc. I came away from the conversation very confused.  So my question is this: if I have the gun tapped for a scope or any reflex style sight or red dot, the tapping part is the same correct? Doesn't tapping for a scope mean the same exact  number of holes and locations regardless of which optic I decide to use (scope, reflex, or red dot tube)?? Or are there certain reflex or red dot mounts that require that the tapping is different?

Thank You!!

Greg Massey

If i were you, i would contact Sumtoy Customs and talk with William Lambert

jb1069

Drilling and tapping is just drilling and tapping. The only thing I would think would affect the price is how many holes you are needing done depending on the mount or rail you are having mounted. Many gunsmiths act like they are doing magic while many machinists or toolmakers do this on a daily basis. It isn't as complicated as they pretend.

BDeal

Isn't it just 4 holes spaced and threaded correctly?

wchadw

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 28, 2022, 09:20:25 AM
If i were you, i would contact Sumtoy Customs and talk with William Lambert
x2 he can take care of you

Tail Feathers

Quote from: BDeal on July 28, 2022, 02:41:55 PM
Isn't it just 4 holes spaced and threaded correctly?
Mostly, but knowing how deep they can drill could be critical.  I wouldn't try it in my shop, even tho I have a drill press and some taps.  But for someone with tooling and knowhow, no, it's not a real big job.
I would guess the guy meant how many holes your chosen mount will require.  Pick a mount out and take it to the smith along with the gun.  He should give you a solid quote then.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

WV Flopper

Obviously, you don't know a credible gunsmith by name and I think most of the guys that have replied don't either.

Go to a "Good" local gun shop, may be 200 miles depending on where you live . Take your gun. You explain what you want, they will give you contact info to a Smith. If not, go to a better gun shop, 300 miles away.

In my area, it was 50 miles. I have had 2 guns tapped and friends many more, same guy. The last gun I had tapped cost me 30$.

Not all mounts are the same....Take them to the Smith when you go, with your gun. 

Ranman

Jimspur

If the gun has a ventilated rib have you considered a Meadow Creek
mount? Rock solid mounting system and some people prefer it to a
receiver mount.

BDeal

I have looked at the Meadow Creek Mounts-I just don't know about having the sight so far out front. It seems odd to me that all of these receiver mounts (not the Meadow Creek but the ones for a tapped receiver) would have different bolt patterns. I guess I'm used to rifles where tapped is tapped and any scope mount will fit almost any receiver.

Spurs Up

Quote from: BDeal on July 29, 2022, 12:27:47 PM
I have looked at the Meadow Creek Mounts-I just don't know about having the sight so far out front. It seems odd to me that all of these receiver mounts (not the Meadow Creek but the ones for a tapped receiver) would have different bolt patterns. I guess I'm used to rifles where tapped is tapped and any scope mount will fit almost any receiver.

Placement of the sight is a matter of personal preference. There are some distinct advantages to placing a reflex sight well down the barrel rather than on the receiver. EOtech makes a high end dot that they recommend placing near the muzzle.

I've got a rib-mounted Meadow Creek base topped with a red dot. I've also had an 870 drilled & tapped. I know the "drill" well. PM me if you have questions or want more...

Meleagris gallopavo

When I had mine drilled and tapped I purchased a rail mount for my gun and used that to give the gunsmith for drilling the holes.  Never used the rail, which was very cheap, in the gun.  Ended up going with a Sumtoy mount for my red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

rifleman

Several years ago I had a 10 ga NEF drilled and tapped and mounted a Leupold/Gilmore red dot on the gun with no problem.  I did not consider the shop an elite gunshop, just did the job.

2eagles

Order a Sumtoy mount for your 870 and take it to a good gunsmith. I went through all of this messing around spring of 2022. Mine required two holes. The gun is an SX4 and has an aluminum receiver so I'll be leaving the mount attached even when I'm not using my FF3 because I don't want to worry about the screws enlarging the holes. This was recommended by All About Shooting. The mount doesn't get in the way for wing shooting.
I have a completely trusted gunsmith but he'd never actually seen a Sumtoy mount and was a little curious. The finished mounting was great. Funny because he called me later spring and wanted a reminder on who made my mount. He had a customer who wanted a red dot installed and suggested doing the job like I did.
You shouldn't go wrong if you have a good smith.

Mossberg90MN

I think I got charged $40 a hole (2) in my case.

Of course the plate you use will determine how many holes you need.

In my opinion it's a little more involved then just drilling and going for it. Got to make sure to not scratch the finish, make sure it isn't crooked, make sure your doing it in the right spot and that you got enough meat on the bone. Plus you wouldn't want to cause some scraping to the bolt.

I would pick sight and mount, then go to them with the mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk