OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bullet Seating Depth??

Started by Kylongspur88, June 14, 2011, 09:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Question for the re-loaders. I have several boxes of 170gr 30-30 ammo that are seated inconsistently. I don't have the measurements, but some are very noticeable being seated much deeper than others. How badly does this affect accuracy?
These are Remingtons, and someappear to have receded, or been set too deep in the case. Are these even safe?

Tom Foolery

If they are factory loads and they are all crimped in the cannalure you are probably alright.  A lot of facory ammo has variance but still shoots good.

CB on the run

Post some pictures.  I would not shoot the ammo as you describe.  It almost sounds like someone chambered it in the wrong caliber pushing the bullet down in the case.  It happens in our Glocks at work if one of the guys chambers the same round many times.  It could cause a pressure spike.  You should probably move this to the reloading section.

CB

drenalinld

Typically the closer you get to the lands where rifling begins with the bullet ogive, the more effect bullet seating depth has on consistency or accuracy. Factory ammo is loaded short enough to be a safe distance from the lands on all factory rifles. Variances in seating depth when seated that far from the lands usually don't cause big consistency problems. How much variance are you talking about. Remember not to consider the tip of the bullet as that has no effect on when the bullet will contact the lands. Instead you must consider where the bullet reaches full diameter. Overall loaded cartridge length can vary quite a bit with certain bullets even though seating depth is the same with respect to the lands.

chcltlabz

Bullet seating can greatly effect accuracy, moreso than even variances in powder charge.

If you're a reloader, I'd recommend pulling the bullets and starting over.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

a-j calls

I would trash all of it, you don't know what powder or charge was used, not worth the risk.

Dinger

I think the consensus here is to not shoot the ammo.  But.....do not trash it either.  Pull the bullets, dump the powder and start over!  No sense in shooting ammo that is suspect...why shoot substandard ammo???

redarrow

Different bullet designs will be seated differently.AS has already been stated,if the bullets are crimped into a cannelure the should be fine.Levers and semi's are a bit more restrictive in OAL than in bolt guns,as they have a bunch more mechanical stuff to move thru before hitting the barrel.Photos wil help us better determine what you have,

Nimrodmar10

Are they factory loads? Are they all from the same box? Different bullet weights will have different overall lengths. If you're no sure about the bullets, don't shoot them. 30-30s are fairly cheap, buy yourself some new ones.

Kylongspur88

Yes these are factory loads. At the office now so I will put up a pic tonight. I'm going to send Remington an e-mail today. I like the cor-loks performance on deer and have never had a problem with either the -06 or 30-30 ammo, but this stuff looks suspect.

redarrow

Do the cases appear to be the same length. ?

stinkpickle

The last few boxes of regular Remington rifle ammo I bought (30-'06 150gr) had similar issues...and they were from different batches.  My rifle didn't like them at all.  I'm done with their factory ammo.