OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Still breeding in Tennessee

Started by RutnNStrutn, June 03, 2022, 07:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Pulled the game camera cards on my place today, and I was surprised to see photo evidence of a gobbler breeding a hen just yesterday!! I had figured that the hens I'd been seeing in the yard every day were just taking a break from the nest and getting a bite to eat. Apparently not!! One of the hens laid down and let a dominant gobbler do his thing, and it just happened to be in front of one of my cameras!! :icon_thumright: Now I understand why the boys have still been hanging around and strutting their stuff!! :turkey: :funnyturkey:

Greg Massey

3bailey3

West Augusta

On May 30th in Pennsylvania I harvested a longbeard that was still hot trailing 2 hens.  He only gobbled once.  An hour later, I called in the hens with him trailing behind.  BOOM.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Cowboy

Great pics. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: West Augusta on June 03, 2022, 09:13:08 PM
On May 30th in Pennsylvania I harvested a longbeard that was still hot trailing 2 hens.  He only gobbled once.  An hour later, I called in the hens with him trailing behind.  BOOM.
I don't doubt that. Pennsylvania is north of TN, so the breeding season there should be later.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

I wonder.......how old this hen may be? Is she fertile or sterile? I know we cant hardly answer either of those question but here is my thought.

I believe some of these hens are old and sterile, maybe just sterile. I have seen this before a few times while hunting and think that is way to late to just be getting breed. Multiple times I have seen a strutter with his hareem at the end of season.

Another option is she may have lost her clutch and is trying again, or maybe, she just likes the boys!

Nice pictures!

Dtrkyman

A spread out breeding cycle is part of the potential issue with the current state of the turkeys population.  You want a shorter window so all the poults hit the ground around the same time, gives them a better chance at surviving.

Predator swamping is the term used in this regard.  Some claim the fact we are hunting the birds during breeding interrupts and pro longs breeding, which is why some states have adopted a split up season, it is not new but has come to light recently.

Of course there will always be some variation regardless but we are not helping in many cases.

Awesome photo's!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: WV Flopper on June 04, 2022, 11:45:06 AM
Another option is she may have lost her clutch and is trying again

Interesting theory. However, I seem to recall reading an article by Lovett Williams that stated hens get all the sperm they need in one breeding session, and can store the excess for later in case of a failed nest. Did anyone else read the same article?

RutnNStrutn

I wish Lovett was still around to get his opinion on sterile birds, late breeding, etc.

Dtrkyman

I would assume if a hen had a nest and lost it she used the sperm from previous breeding to fertilize that clutch and would need to breed again to fertilize the new one.

WV Flopper

All the hens eggs can be fertilized by one initial breeding. The sperm stays viable in ducts inside the hen and is used daily to fertilize new eggs.

From time of initial breeding, to fertilization, to laying of clutch, to setting.....if a clutch were lost the viable sperm may not be viable any longer. I may be wrong, but I believe the number is 28 days of viable sperm in the ducts.

You do the math, yes, it is possible.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: WV Flopper on June 04, 2022, 06:33:16 PM
All the hens eggs can be fertilized by one initial breeding. The sperm stays viable in ducts inside the hen and is used daily to fertilize new eggs.

From time of initial breeding, to fertilization, to laying of clutch, to setting.....if a clutch were lost the viable sperm may not be viable any longer. I may be wrong, but I believe the number is 28 days of viable sperm in the ducts.

You do the math, yes, it is possible.
Good point!!
Not trying to argue. Just thought you guys might enjoy the pictures.

WV Flopper

No argument, Great pictures! Thank you.

Roost 1

I think new research says the sperm isn't as viable as once thought.
So if all the gobblers get killed, hens that try to re-nest are out of luck.
This is the reason season dates are being pushed back.