OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

This Old Turkey Hunter Remembers

Started by mookyj, May 28, 2022, 09:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mookyj

This Old Turkey Hunter Remembers

https://www.turkey-talk.com/tblog/?p=2336

A bit of a melancholy kind of Memorial Day as we remember those fallen while engaged in battle, in service to our country. I am fortunate for those family members that have served, eventually came home to continue life onward with us, beyond service to our country. Each time my father returned home from a tour at sea I was too young to know or worry. He was our hero and assumed he always would. We are grateful that was the case.

We honor them on Veterans Day although it is today that we think of them also as they are our living heroes among us. Not to take away from the intent or deep meaning of this day of remembrance. The sacrifice of one's life in service to us is a profound act that we honor today.

As a day of reflection, I also reflect on a spring season of allowing me to get out and hunt which came perilously close to never happening again after a near-fatal experience with Covid late summer last year. It is humbling to know that these heroes sacrificed their tomorrow's of such days afield, time with family, and leaves me grateful to have had the time as I have had. Something very special after having so many memorable seasons over three decades in the turkey woods.

The turkey woods are by declaration my sanctuary, my church where I ponder my thoughts, engage in deep consolation with my maker. With the good fortune to do so this spring, I find my bearings, and return home grounded and in appreciation for so many things, and for so much that has been done for me and my fellow countrymen.

It is fitting for this old turkey hunter to reflect, to honor, and remember these fallen heroes on Memorial Day as it is not forgotten that all that I have come to love and enjoy came at a price that has been paid in full for our way of living.

-MJ

© 2022 Mike Joyner- Joyner Outdoor Media
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

mountainhunter1

Very well said, I appreciate your thoughts. Every time I go into the turkey woods, I count myself a rich and blessed man to be able to partake in the Lord's creation. And I do not have the words to express my appreciation for what those before us did to secure out freedom to live and do as we do in this great land.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

ybuck

runngun

And everybody say, AMEN!!!
Thank you so very much for sharing!!!

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Turkeybutt

eggshell

Ditto to all that was said

You are so right about learning to appreciate the blessings we have. Instead we often gripe and complain about things that we can't control, but we can control our own emotions and we can take the time to say THANK YOU ALL WHO GAVE ALL, and the one who gave the most Jesus!

Having nearly died in a hunting accident myself in 2009, I too learned to slow up and just enjoy so much more of all that is great.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Howie g

God bless America and those who lost lives helping protect it !
Love it or leave it !!!

Happy

Many have given everything for our freedom. We owe a great debt of gratitude

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bobk

God Bless America and those who sacrificed  for us.

Mr. T. you will never be forgotten.

GobbleGitr

Many times as I have carried my gun afield to put meat on the table and enjoy the great outdoors, I am humbled by the thought that someone carried a gun into peril, even to death, for my pursuit of happiness. 

Zobo

Thank you Gene (GG)  RIP -I love you
Thank you Uncle Dante RIP -I love you

"My command is this: love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than to lay down one's life for one's friends". John 15:13/14
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

jgard

Absolutely amazing post. Well said. Thanks to those who have given it their all so that we may live free

Wigsplitter

Walking on the fighting side of me when anyone disrespect our country or takes our freedoms lightly that men and women laid their lives down for - I think of those people at every national anthem and holiday and when I get my gun to go hunting myself- I'll go to the end being as respectful as I can for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our rights and freedoms!! God help us in the world we live in now and bless our country!!

runngun

To the TOP!!! FOR THIS DAY!!

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.